Is a magnetic knife bar safe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnickersMom

Assistant Cook
for knives? Sorry if this a repeat question. I did a search and couldn't find anything on the topic.

I got one and someone told me it's bad for my knives.

They haven't harmed ours and we've been using them for years. I like the idea of removing spine first, I think I do that naturally, but I'll pay attention next time :)

I have two of them and haven't noticed any problems and it has been several years. Very convenient, out of the way, and allows me to "store" more than just the carving knives, which I couldn't do with my butcher block holder.

I did have a slight problem with knives falling during a recent earthquake however and kind of did a happy dance. :LOL:

I'm thinking about getting one more since I'm spoiled.

I have two of them and haven't noticed any problems and it has been several years. Very convenient, out of the way, and allows me to "store" more than just the carving knives, which I couldn't do with my butcher block holder.

I did have a slight problem with knives falling during a recent earthquake however and kind of did a happy dance. :LOL:

I'm thinking about getting one more since I'm spoiled.

LOL! We don't get those much in Florida, so I guess we don't have to worry about that :)

I had one in my last kitchen and loved it. Yes, it was completely safe. If my current kitchen could accommodate one then I would use it in a second.

Mine looks like this.

We have two like that only about half the size each. The kitchen walls are too small in the workable area, so we couldn't go with the long ones. So we bought two smaller and separated them :) Just remember to any who are new to them ... or chef's knives of any kind ... if a knife falls from your hand or the counter, or wherever ... don't try to catch it:rolleyes:

Spine First?

Maybe I'm confused... When I remove my knives from the magnetic holder I twist the knife by the handle to ensure that the edge leaves the block first. My thought process was that coming off spine first could potentially roll/damage the edge, no?

When I had mine I took them off a completely different way. I lifted up from the handle so the spine and edge came off at the same time.

Maybe I'm confused... When I remove my knives from the magnetic holder I twist the knife by the handle to ensure that the edge leaves the block first. My thought process was that coming off spine first could potentially roll/damage the edge, no?

maybe it got lost in translation, but you always want to twist so that the spine leaves last (edge leaves first) when removing the knife, and make sure that the spine makes first contact when replacing the knife...this is the method alton brown uses, and would be the method i'd use....protecting the edge is most important

personally, i wouldnt use anything where the knife makes direct contact with metal (especially with a harder steel)...it could scratch the knife at best, and damage the edge at worst....ive heard great things about the mag bloks, and would get one if i had a good place in my kitchen for them (and if my wife didnt think of them as the "death rack")

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wish i could have one. i have mine in wusthoff sheaths. and my huge wusthoff cleaver is hung on the wall by the hole with the original heavy cardboard over with the hole punched out.

maybe it got lost in translation, but you always want to twist so that the spine leaves last (edge leaves first) when removing the knife, and make sure that the spine makes first contact when replacing the knife...this is the method alton brown uses, and would be the method i'd use....protecting the edge is most important

personally, i wouldnt use anything where the knife makes direct contact with metal (especially with a harder steel)...it could scratch the knife at best, and damage the edge at worst....ive heard great things about the mag bloks, and would get one if i had a good place in my kitchen for them (and if my wife didnt think of them as the "death rack")

Here's the exception. It is next to impossible to remove the 220x110mm Chuckabocho on the left in the normal way because of the strength of the magnetic attraction. It must be slid downward off the Mag-Blok. It doesn't damage the edge as it protrudes slightly beyond the left end of the wood.

Attachments

• magblok.jpg
    magblok.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 282
Back
Top Bottom