ISO a new bread knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petek

Cook
I'm in the market for a new bread knife. I have one, and it works fine, but the blade is only 7" long. I'd like to buy another one with a blade 9 or 10" long.

Amazon.com lists bread knives priced anywhere from $9.99 to almost $200.00. What factors should I consider in selecting a new knife? Does anyone have a specific suggestion?

TIA

Pete K.

My sister just gave me what she called a good bread knife and the cardboard blade pretector says, Rada Cutlery. It has very small serrations perpendicular to the blade. I don't know how it works yet because the one I've had for twenty years still works great. I think it says Vernco on it (other than the bank's name where it came from :LOL:) and has two edges, one that is serrated at an angle and one that is scalloped. I always use the scalloped edge because it doesn't make as many crumbs. They both say, high carbon stainless steel on them.

The funny thing about the one I got somewhere, who knows where, but came from a bank, is that the bank is no longer around. They folded about a year ago. But I now live in the town the bank was named after.... Talk about the twilight zone. I wish I hadn't looked at that :ermm:

edited to say; I wouldn't spend more on a knife than my breadmaker cost ;) Far less actually.

Now that you mention it, Katie.... so do I :rolleyes:
I just pictured the bread knife in my mind and realized my sister had given me a tomato knife years ago with the same cardboard blade pretector and the same SS handle. Upon looking just now, it's a Rada, too! I love that knife for slicing tomatoes. I always reach for it when they are very ripe. I may just have to give the bread knife a chance to work its way into my lineup based on that :)

It depends on the price range. If you need something economical, and can life with an 8" blade, I can't imagine anything better for $20 than the Kershaw Kai Pure Komachi bread knife. KAI is the maker of Shun knives, and even though the Pure Komachi and Wasabi lines are cheaper they're still fantastic knives. I always have one in my roll, and one day I lent it to the guy who cuts all our dinner bread at the restaurant I work at. He was so amazed that I've had to let him use it every day since then- about a month!:wacko::ROFLMAO:

I also have a relatively cheap Chicago Cutler Kyoto bread knife. It's also an 8 incher, but after a little touch-up it's so sharp it will "tree-top" hair!:shock: The Kyoto line is CC's asian line and is a total Shun ripoff; the look & trade-dress is near identical, but of course they're not VG10 "supersteel." Still, pretty nice for the price if you can find one. I got mine in a block set at Kohls for $125, mostly out of curiousity. At the price I figured it would be a good gift or something to recommend for those who want a set decent knives for about what I normally pay for a single knife.:ROFLMAO:

You'd be hard pressed to do much better for pure performance-for-$ than the Forschner Fibrox 10.25" bread knife. Forshner is pretty popular among professional cooks. The blades take a very keen edge and hold it pretty well, yet are soft enough to resharpen without much difficulty. The "Fibrox" polymer handle isn't 'sexy' but it's extremely functional and feels great in the hand. $25 doesn't buy much better than this. If you're hung up on looks, check out the Rosewood line. Same blade, fancier handle, not a lot more expensive.

If you want something really amazing, go for the "Full Monte"- the 9" Shun Classic. It'll set you back almost $125 but will cut like a freakin' lightsaber! For under $150 it's truly The King.:king:

Here is a link to a bunch of bread knives. I have the Chicago Cutlery one and it performs as well as or better than my Henckels Pro S. I think th 10" is a better idea. There are times when 8" is just too little.

I love Forschener stamped knives for this work.

They are available in 10", 12" and 14" lengths.

I was looking at a Forschner offset bread knife not too long ago. The one I wanted was out of stock, so I'm still using my chef's knife. Even with its plain (krazy keen, but plain) edge it still goes through French and Italian breads without crushing or deforming the loaf or slice. Since its not serrated, it also doesn't create a lot of bread saw dust!

Now that I am baking crusty breads, I find my knife is really bad, I never bought a knife, all knives were either inherited or were hubby's when I married him. Time to shop for a good bread knife!

You look for actual reasons to buy a new knife? I should start doing that!
well , yes :) I have to have a reason to buy a knife. If it were just me living alone, then I would buy all kinds :LOL: but hubby says I have to *need* a product before I can buy it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom