ISO comments/advice on 10" chef's knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheri527

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone I'm a second year culinary student working in a restaurant. My first knife was a 9" but now that I'm getting some experience I bought a 10" shun. It feels kind of big right now, is it worth getting used to?? Not sure if this matters but I'm a small girl 5"3 with small boyish hands.. Lol. I hear most chefs use a 10" in kitchens.

Hi Sheri,

I'm an avid home cook, and I also own a 10 inch Shun knife. I'm by no means a big guy either. I really like my Shun. It did take some getting used to, but for me, it was worth it. There are still tasks that I return to my 8 inch knives (I find the smaller blade to be quicker on some tasks).

I'm sure others will chime in with their experience as well...

Cheers,

Welcome to the site. The right size knife for you will be the one that feels most comfortable to you. It does not matter what most other chefs use. Think of it like buying shoes. If everyone else wears a size 13, you still need to get the size that fits you.

I started with a 10" and liked it a lot, but at times found it a little too big for me. I went down to a smaller knife and liked it much better. There are still times I reach for the 10" like when I am cutting watermelon or something large like that, but for most tasks I find the 10" a hair too big for me now.

I agree. The right size knife for you is the one that feels best for you. I would suggest, however, that you give the large knife a try for a few days.,

I'm 6'2" and have normal sized hands. I use an 8" chef's knife and I'm quite happy with it. I also received a 6" chef's knife as a gift and use that happily as well.

How many times do I have to tell you people, size doesn't matter?! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site. The right size knife for you will be the one that feels most comfortable to you. It does not matter what most other chefs use. Think of it like buying shoes. If everyone else wears a size 13, you still need to get the size that fits you.

I started with a 10" and liked it a lot, but at times found it a little too big for me. I went down to a smaller knife and liked it much better. There are still times I reach for the 10" like when I am cutting watermelon or something large like that, but for most tasks I find the 10" a hair too big for me now.

I found this site while searching for Knife reviews. Im starting my second year of culinary school in Sept. Right now Im doing my externship In a High End Restaurant in New Brunswick, NJ. 400hrs.

It's not how big it is that's important. It's the skill of the person using it.

Do you think we can keep this going for a while before we get in trouble?

Andy, I am not even going to ask about your sharpening technique.

Sheri, I was born in New Brunswick. I have some fond memories of that area even though I was only there until I was 4.

I really like my 9" but shun only makes an 8" or 10"... The eight seems way to small for me now. I'll keep it another week and see how it goes. I saw a 9" wustof classic Ikon, but didnt seem as smooth as the shun.

Hello everyone I'm a second year culinary student working in a restaurant. My first knife was a 9" but now that I'm getting some experience I bought a 10" shun. It feels kind of big right now, is it worth getting used to?? Not sure if this matters but I'm a small girl 5"3 with small boyish hands.. Lol. I hear most chefs use a 10" in kitchens.

Most chefs use the size knife that feels like an extension of their arm. That is key. At 5'3" I would say you are probably too short for a 10-inch. My mentor and chef is your size with small hands, and she uses an 8-inch. I've been using exclusively 10-inch knives for 30 years, and they work for me.

Andy, I am not even going to ask about your sharpening technique.

Sheri, I was born in New Brunswick. I have some fond memories of that area even though I was only there until I was 4.

I grew Up about 10 minutes from New Brunswick, South Plainfield. Im 38 and lost my job. Decided to go back to school for culinary. Im working at the Frog & Peach on Dennis Street. Where did you move to?

:flowers:Hi Sheri. Welcome to DC.

Josie

Hi Sheri.

I started my knife collection as a Chef in training 20 years ago and always get a thrill when I buy a new one. I wouldn't worry too much about the length of your knife right now because you will find the perfect uses for it as you get exposed to a wider range of assignments. Just keep collecting them (and other tools) until you have enough to carry around in a little tool box.

By that time, you will be in love with all of your knives!

Most cooks can have a few knives. I usually keep a 10 for prep, and a smaller one on the line for quicker work in a tighter area when doing short order. The 10 will be great for certain applications.
They are like golf clubs. You need many to get the job done properly.

Most cooks can have a few knives. I usually keep a 10 for prep, and a smaller one on the line for quicker work in a tighter area when doing short order. The 10 will be great for certain applications.
They are like golf clubs. You need many to get the job done properly.

That makes a lot of sense....Thank You!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom