ISO Help With Knives and Sharpeners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a 240 mm. Tojiro DP gyuto from Buy4asianlife.com several years ago when they were on sale. $54 US + shipping. The Masahiro gyuto is a smaller knife at 170 mm, and cost $31 on Ebay. It's an older series (MSC MS3000) that I've only seen for sale on Japanese websites. I bought it from an Australian supplier but the shipping was cheap. I looked for a Masahiro because I picked up a Masahiro gyuto of the same size that is not part of their professional line, stamped rather than forged, with a rosewood handle, for $5 at a thrift store, new in the box, and liked it. Still do.

Think I may just end up going with CKtG - the difference from the 2-piece set and buying the gyuto and paring separate almost covers the difference in shipping.

Think I'm getting a Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto (F-808), Tojiro DP Paring Kinfe (F-800), Forschner 10" Bread Knife and a Forschner 7" Santoku (cheap Santoku to compare with and the GF can use it when we're cooking together). Not bad for about $150 + Shipping (total will be around $200).

They're good knives. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. That 210 mm gyuto is a nice size, very nimble in the hand.

I like the DP. They are hard to beat for the money. Bought a couple for myself, and ended up purchasing 3 for my son. As for Gyuto size, that is subjective and a personal choice. I have a 210 and a 240 Kanetsune, and use the 240 almost exclusively. My son, who stands 6'`10" and can easily palm a basketball, prefers a shorter knife, but when I went to trade him out of the 270 I bought him, he refused.

Your DP's will come extremely sharp out of the box. I have not used an Edge pro, but heard nothing but good things. While I have an Edgemaker Pro, I would not use it on a quality Japanese knife. The angles are different, and you would be sharpening at a non ideal angle. Beware of any sharpener geared toward western knives.

My preference for sharpening is to send them out when needed. I have a King 1200-8000 stone or touch ups. Purchased at Woodcraft Supply. I just don't need to learn another skill at my age.

I do use a steel on the J knives. My steels are old F Dick. They were smooth when new, and years of commercial use have only made them smoother. A few strokes will realign the blade. Use a light touch and only a few strokes.

Rob can give you a lot more information than I will ever know. I would listen to him.

Good point about trying to put the edge back yourself on very high quality knives using this or that sharpener.

Me? I don't own expensive type knives, but am looking into buying some. My lesser priced knives dull so fast.

Last edited:
Think I may just end up going with CKtG - the difference from the 2-piece set and buying the gyuto and paring separate almost covers the difference in shipping.

Think I'm getting a Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto (F-808), Tojiro DP Paring Kinfe (F-800), Forschner 10" Bread Knife and a Forschner 7" Santoku (cheap Santoku to compare with and the GF can use it when we're cooking together). Not bad for about $150 + Shipping (total will be around $200).

BWJ is legit but the price is no better than CKtG, and probably won't be as fast. I'd agree with Jim- the Edgemaker (formerly Edgemaker Pro) is a great tool but not ideal for Japanese knives.

The Edgepro Apex is the best tool I know of under $350. True, it's a bit expensive but it should last you your entire life. It will also allow you to easily get your knives sharper than they were when they were new. The nice thing is that you can use the Apex on pocket knives and even some tools, too. It's hard to imagine regretting purchasing an Apex.

Another great thing about the Apex is that it will allow you to change the bevel angles and do repairs. It's good for grinding out chips. Plus, if you getting "bitten by the bug" and end up getting deeper into knives the EP Apex will grow with you.

BWJ is legit but the price is no better than CKtG, and probably won't be as fast. I'd agree with Jim- the Edgemaker (formerly Edgemaker Pro) is a great tool but not ideal for Japanese knives.

The Edgepro Apex is the best tool I know of under $350. True, it's a bit expensive but it should last you your entire life. It will also allow you to easily get your knives sharper than they were when they were new. The nice thing is that you can use the Apex on pocket knives and even some tools, too. It's hard to imagine regretting purchasing an Apex.

Another great thing about the Apex is that it will allow you to change the bevel angles and do repairs. It's good for grinding out chips. Plus, if you getting "bitten by the bug" and end up getting deeper into knives the EP Apex will grow with you.

If you pay around $350 for this kit and are willing to learn how to do it right, you're probably a knife sharpening pro I'd bring my high quality knives to from the get go. :LOL:

Yee-haw! I have never used a Global knife before, let alone owned one. About a year ago I did find a Global fish bone tweezer in a thrift store for fifty cents, and bought it. I was downtown today and stopped in the ARC thrift, and there in the case was a new in the box Global 25 cm G11 yanagi sashimi, $7.95. Plus sales tax. I will let you all know how well it cuts fingers...um, fish...um, fish fingers...

Yee-haw! I have never used a Global knife before, let alone owned one. About a year ago I did find a Global fish bone tweezer in a thrift store for fifty cents, and bought it. I was downtown today and stopped in the ARC thrift, and there in the case was a new in the box Global 25 cm G11 yanagi sashimi, $7.95. Plus sales tax. I will let you all know how well it cuts fingers...um, fish...um, fish fingers...

Good luck with your new knife. I had a 12" Shun knife given to me as a gift. I have very small hands. The size of a childs. It was way too big for me. With the blade and handle it came up past my elbow. So I decide to cut potatoes with it. The very first thing I cut instead was my finger. Son #1 has the knife. He has no troubl using it. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom