Kitchen Aid Santoku

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EEstrada

Assistant Cook
I'm really tempted on buying a 7'' Sontaku by kitchen aid from target. I'm a starter, and I will be taking some food handling courses for my dietetics program. Since I am a full time student I cannot afford a really good blade. I like the feel on my hand, not extremely light, but not heavy as well. Seems to be sharp by the touch, but I want some feedback. I wish I could afford a kershaw, but that is way outta my league at the moment. Thanx for any feedback.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-3/qid=1124149774/ref=sr_2_3/601-8447330-0406526?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0007GDNL0

Last edited:
A friend of mine just bought the very same thing at Kohl's and he loves it. The important thing about a knife you've already done and that is see if it is comfortable in your hand. Also, a person can take a cheap set of knives and keep them properly sharpened, no dishwasher, washed and dried right away, and get by for many years. Put a few dollars away every week for your knife fund.

My first set of knives was a Chicago Cutlery set with a block for $99. They were great (still have them) and I learned on them. As Elf said, keep them sharp and the will serve you well.

It doesn't have to be the most expensive knife to be a good performer.

Andy, I may have bought the same set as you. I got rid of the block when I moved into a really tiny apartment. I still have every knife, except the paring knife. Don't know where that one went. I've "retired" some of my professional knives, and brought them home. One of those is my F. Dick 8" chef's knife. However, PeppA prefers to use the Chicago Cutlery chef's knife. Go figure...

Allen:

I replaced the Chicago Cutlery set with Henckels Professional S that I use every day. There is a big difference in the weight and feel. Every winter when we go to our timeshare in Aruba for two weeks, I take a couple of the Chicagos in my suitcase. Even after two weeks of regular use, they still feel 'different' in my hands.

20.00 is a good price for any knife,give it a go.Will this be your everyday chef's knife?The only concern I would have with a 7" blade as a chefs knife is the up and down action....the shorter the blade the more efford to cut and chop,which may or may not be an issue on a long day.Also the Sontaku doesn't have as much flexability as a regualr chef knife and you might need to pick up another knife with a regualr point for some knife work,which would be frustrating for me.

I'm a bit of a knife freek and I used a 10" Henkle for years
and then as a gift I got a 10" Hattori which I would never part with,love it.Keeps an edge better than anything I've worked
with.

A friend has a 10" Shun which I've used and I really like that as well,and would recommend either.

I've found an 8" Kershaw for 31.00 that might interest you.
http://www.knivesafield.com/catalog_c123020.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom