Knife or Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twimum

Assistant Cook
Does anyone here not use a Food Processor? I've been cooking for years and cook most days for my family but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who really doesn't use an FP. I had an FP for years that just sat in my cupboard which I eventually donated because I chop everything with a knife. I only grate cheese at the time that I need it so no need for lots of grating. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for any mixing jobs. The only thing so far that I'm missing it for is Hummus which I use my blender to do and I find that a bit of a pain because of the deep shape of the blender vs. an FP.

Why bring this up? Well I'm wondering if all these years I've not been using something that's absolutely essential.

Thanks for the quick replies ladies. Can I ask what you you use it most for? Maybe I've just been making my life harder for the past 25 years or so :shock:

I only use my food processor for stuff the blender can't do.

I love to chop up all my vegs with my knife! Very relaxing I think :)

It's also good for making a quick large batch of finely chopped pecans for some of my cookie recipes that take over a cup's worth. That's one thing I'd really rather not do with a knife...

Thanks for the quick replies ladies. Can I ask what you you use it most for? Maybe I've just been making my life harder for the past 25 years or so :shock:
I chop all my veggies that I want small, I could use my knife but I never seem to have one that's sharp, DH has a way of making them impossible to cut anything but butter with:LOL: I chop my parsley for my stews and breads as well as nuts, you name it and I bet I use my f/p for it. I love it except for anything with water . I feel knife of f/p it's our choice do what feels right to you
kadesma

I mostly chop with a knife. It's not usually worth the cleanup to use the FP. When I have a lot of chopping, then I might haul out the FP, and of course it's good for humous. I also use it to make soft bread crumbs.

Oh yes, bread crumbs!! Absolutely a necessity for that!!

Kades- electric knife sharpeners are a wonderful thing to have!

I use my knife and mini chopper for most things, but wouldn't be without a full sized FP for when I need to do larger batches of things.

Since I don't use my full sized one often, it is one of the things that I haven't upgraded.

It probably depends on how much food you're dealing with. When I'm dealing with a party, it is indespesible. My Mom bought me my first one when I was in my twenties, living in DC, and I brought it to my boyfriend's (now husband of 30 years) apartment and we made quiche for about two dozen people. Doing all of that by hand? It was the first time we worked together in a (very small) kitchen, and doing all that knife work, neither of us terribly experienced, would have been a bi**ch. Our relationship may not have survived.

I'm now on, I think, my third food processor. And, no, wouldn't be worth it if all I do is slice or dice or mix for two. My husband and I spent years on the road in a trailer, and many, many years moving around, without a food processor. But when my little mini Cuisinart failed, I bought what I thought was the biggest and best (and yes, with the advice of my DC friends), and have no regrets. But I do entertain enough to make it worthwhile, and this version has three interlocking bowls and it rocks! I don't use it even weekly, but I love the darned thing. For chopping one onion, no, I use a knife. For making slaw or any other thing, I'm so happy to own it!

I cook breakfast for a homeless shelter. Chop onions, shred potatoes for hashbrowns, shred cheese if needed. I usually shred cheese ahead of time, at home, where I have a pelican head for my mixer. Still use a knife more than a processor.

I have one of these:

31DQ3SvZjcL.jpg

Amazon.com: Cuisinart HB-154PC Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments - Club Model: Home & Kitchen

And use it a lot. The mini food processor attachment gets used more often than the dedicated FP. The whisk gets used the most.

I only cook for two, so I don't use the FP very much. At least until it's time to make tamales or huge batches of slaw, etc. Then it's very important. This happens for me about every three months.

I very rarely use my food processor. I love putting a bit of music on and doing the prep work with my santoku :chef:

I have one of these:

31DQ3SvZjcL.jpg

Amazon.com: Cuisinart HB-154PC Smart Stick Hand Blender With Whisk & Chopper Attachments - Club Model: Home & Kitchen

And use it a lot. The mini food processor attachment gets used more often than the dedicated FP. The whisk gets used the most.

I have exactly the same thing Taxi, it's wonderful and combined with my Mandolin, it's all I need these days. I have a big food processor that never gets used since I rarely entertain anymore.
Mostly I use my knife, hand grater, and micro plane.

Last edited:
Why bring this up? Well I'm wondering if all these years I've not been using something that's absolutely essential.

I do not think it is essential, but it sure is convenient when you need it. I have two (well actually 3 but I do not use the 11 cup, too small for me) so I do have small one and 14 cup ones and those I use all the time.
Also some things really require FP. Humus that you mention. I make zucchini spread, I make eggplant spread. I do not have one of those emersion blenders, so I use FP instead. My mandolin is getting pretty dull, so I use FP. Before getting KA stand up mixer I used FP to mix the dough. When my kids were little I cooked a lot myself and used the small mixer to chop the foods into a mush (is it a word?) for them. I use a lot of garlic, and small FP is very handy when it comes to chopping it. I make spinach, parsley, onion dips, really could not have done it without the FP.

Last edited:
I bought a cuisanart FP ten years ago and probably have used it ten times.I mostly use a knife because I don't want to wash everything.
I do have a mini FP that goes on my Cuisanart blender and it gets more use than the large one.It is perfect for pesto or hummus.I don't use the blender for much other than Hollandaise.

Back
Top Bottom