Knife Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InkedParrot

Assistant Cook
How does everyone store there knives? I am going start buy a knife set one piece at a time. If I am going to spend over a hundred dollars or more per knife as I slowly buy. I don want to throw then in a drawer with the others. I am not much of a fan of wood blocks and I plan to buy MAC knives.

A wood tray with individual slots is good so the knives don't bang against each other. I keep mine in a wood block on the counter with strict orders to everyone in my house, "DO NOT TOUCH!" Can't stand it when someone messes with my stuff in the kitchen.

And you don't already use one, don't forget to buy a "steel." A few strokes each time you pull out a knife... "A sharp knife is a safe knife." as the old adage goes is very true. Many people try to grind their blades on a steel. That's not necessary. Just a few light strokes microscopically cleans up the edge and adds to the useful life of the blade. The one exception is: Don't ever use a steel on a serrated blade such as a bread knife.

Another suggestion, which I'm sure you already know, is be aware of your cutting surface. NEVER cut on glass, metal, formica, ceramic or some types of composite plastic. Personally, I never use anything but wood. Good luck with your collection! I do wish you well.

Last edited:
I use a wooden knife block, but only because I do not have a spot for my magnetic strip. That was my favorite way to store knives. Not only was it more convenient and very safe and hygienic, but it looked great too.

there are slotted trays that fit into kitchen drawers for knives...very good and safe method...take measurements before you buy.

There are slotted knife blocks designed to hold different types of knives (10 and 12 " knives may not fit some of these)

THere is kapoosh, the knife block with nylon rods...your knives slip in anywhere. kewl, and it works too!

There are knife magnet bars to attach to wall and your knives adhere to these ...convenient but not safe around kids.

So the choice belongs to you and the design you want to have for your kitchen.

i think a normal wood block is the most simple, and effective way to go....but since you say you would prefer something else, why not try a mag-blok?

BenchCrafted.com - Mag-Bloks

they are like normal mag bars, but are made completely out of wood with no metal bits to chip/scratch your blades....plus, i think they are much more attractive....very reasonable prices, too....i do not personally have one, but i wish i did, and they get high praise from some of the knife-dedicated forums i visit regularly (and these people KNOW their knives)

There are knife magnet bars to attach to wall and your knives adhere to these ...convenient but not safe around kids.
I think at first glance they would seem not safe around kids, but in reality it is no less safe than a knife block or other methods, unless it is a locking drawer. I kid and just as easily take a knife off a mag strip as they can take one out of a block. I guess there is the possibility of a kid cutting himself if he climbs up on the counter and tries to grab it, but just as with any storage method you need to make sure it is not in reach.

Magnetic strips are good IF you have the space for them above your counter. I don't like to see them below the top of the counter because of possible access by small children and because of the danger of brushing against them and knocking them off the magnet and into your leg or foot.

I have a knife holder in a drawer for some knives, but it holds only three long and four short knives.

600516903_AGbBF-X2.jpg

I find that a counter-top knife block is the most convenient and safest because of the number of knives I have. I like this one from Shun:

500680966_kDqvY-XL.jpg

500680885_HuBQj-XL-1.jpg

Both are available from Amazon.

I kinda like the wooden slotted one that fits in the drawer.
A couple of things to consider:

1. The in-drawer knife holder tends to slide around in the drawer; I attached mine by screwing it to the side of the drawer.

2. You lose a drawer; even though I have a lot of drawers in my kitchen, it ain't never enough.

3. The knives are slightly less convenient, especially when your hands are all wet or covered with meat juices.

4. The one I have doesn't hold very many knives, although there are larger ones available. Check out these:

Amazon.com: knife drawer organizer

Magnetic Strip at home well out of reach of small hands and fingers "Never in a Drawer". At work we have slotted knife racks we can take off the wall and run through a dish machine and one of my personal knife sets is tied up in a roll kit and my backup is in a small lockable case.

i think a normal wood block is the most simple, and effective way to go....but since you say you would prefer something else, why not try a mag-blok?

BenchCrafted.com - Mag-Bloks

they are like normal mag bars, but are made completely out of wood with no metal bits to chip/scratch your blades....plus, i think they are much more attractive....very reasonable prices, too....i do not personally have one, but i wish i did, and they get high praise from some of the knife-dedicated forums i visit regularly (and these people KNOW their knives)

I'm loving my Mag-Blok. This one is made out of leopard wood.
img_841180_0_23286ccca0ee4a261faef101b4558422.jpg

Thanks, Scotch :) I looked at those, and I really do like them, kinda thought I would. -) Then I realized I couldn't put them in the drawers I have here. I ordered a Kapoosh for now, and I will, when I redo the cabinetry, will get those. :)

I know I'm not the person that originally asked the question, but I did hit on this at just the right time. :) Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom