Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedloh312

Assistant Cook
I am starting an aprenticeship next yr (will be 15 yrs old) and have been researching tfyt (Tools For Your Trade) and was wondering what kind of knives can i buy with the money they give me. I would like a quality knife set and have been looking at Global or Furi Any sugestions?

Congratulations!! And good luck!!
You might not want a "set". You might want a selection of knives--chef, boning, santoku (not sure pros look on this as favorably as I do--love, love love it). Does it have to be from TFYT?
You should go to a shop and actually hold the knives to see how they fit your hand with size and weight. And, your hands (and arm strength) will be growing.
And one more idea--although I don't know how this "sets" with a professional knife set for a student. You might not need to buy top of the line knives throughout your kit--Forschner makes very good knives used in many kitchens. Their paring knives are good, and don't cost $$$.
You'll get some good advice from pros here, I'm sure.

Go to a shop and hold the knives in your hand.

Ask what your school/job recommends as well (they may have a list of pieces they expect you to bring). If not, start with a 8" Chef's Knife and 3-3.5" Paring Knife. Get a good solid forged set that feels comfortable.

Then build from there.

Well TFYT offers a $800.00 grant so i want a decent set but thanks for the advice. I will be looking around so thanks for the info and will post what knives i eventually get ^^

nedloh312 said:
Well TFYT offers a $800.00 grant so i want a decent set but thanks for the advice. I will be looking around so thanks for the info and will post what knives i eventually get ^^

Is that just for knives? VEry nice, in any case. Do you have to use it all at once--as in within a couple of months? Don't forget a steel.

Yer it is pretty large amopunt of $$. But that has to cover everything to do with the aprenticeship and it only offers "Up To" so i might only get 300-400 but well see soon enough:rolleyes:. But yersterday my boss(I was doing work experience) said that i might not get it..... But then after work all the chefs came up to me and said that the job was mine DEFINATLEY so that was a huge confidence builder ^^

Hello and welcome to DC. Before you starting buying knives ask your school or job what they want.

It is also very important to hold the knife in your hand and make sure that it comfortable.

And frankly, based on the two I bought, I would not own a Furi. You'de likely be fired as you were spending so much time sharpening. I think the design is not good and the steel is even worse. The best of luck to you.

Check out Gunter Wilhelm Cutlery. Their knives are available in sets and individually, along with ohter accessories, like a 12 pocket tri-fold carry bag. I bought the 11 piece set without steak knives and I like them so much I gave away my Henckles set. Now, if I could just not cut myself every time I use them, I'll be all set! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom