Knives to register for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrylong

Assistant Cook
Ok, so getting Married in 4 months and we decided to go with Target as our gift registry. Now I know they do not carry "top of the line" knifes, but does anyone out there have any suggestions for a nice quality starter that "can" be picked up from Target, i.e Brand and such. I'm looking for a typical chef knife and then the whole set with steak knifes and such for the wife to use
icon_biggrin.gif
I was told I was not allowed a Glestain, which I was hoping for since I have had the privilege of using one of the chefs at work.

Ok, so getting Married in 4 months and we decided to go with Target as our gift registry. Now I know they do not carry "top of the line" knifes, but does anyone out there have any suggestions for a nice quality starter that "can" be picked up from Target, i.e Brand and such. I'm looking for a typical chef knife and then the whole set with steak knifes and such for the wife to use
icon_biggrin.gif
I was told I was not allowed a Glestain, which I was hoping for since I have had the privilege of using one of the chefs at work.

Congrats on your impending nuptials, and welcome to DC, Larrylong!

Having not been to Target in awhile I had to pull up their website. No, nothing that will give Glestain anything to worry about!:ROFLMAO: But there are a few serviceable sets. The 7 peice forged J.A. Henckels isn't a bad option from those listed. I'd say Henckels is the best thing they carry, but stay away from the "FineEdge" stuff- it's pure crap. My next choice would probably be the J.A. Henckels International Classic 2-pc. Hollow Edge Set. It's forged but has no bolsters, and I consider that a very good thing, mostly when you go to sharpen them. That's the flaw with the J.A. Henckels International Forged Pro 3-pc. Knife Set- the bolster will make it tricky to sharpen while maintaining the shape.

BTW, the Wenger Santoku Knife and Bamboo Cutting Board Set would probably be pretty decent, too. Not long ago Victorinox bought Wenger. From all reports, the quality of Wenger has risen sharply since then.

Thank you for the heads up, glad to hear from someone ^^ Could you explain to me what the bolster on the knife is, im not to familiar. Thank you again.

The bolster is the thick part between the point where the handle ends and the blade begins. On a traditional German chef knife, the type you normally see in kitchens, a thick bolster serves to strengthen the blade. But it's really not necessary for most purposes, and there's not practical way to avoid having a hollow spot just ahead of the bolster at the Heel of the blade unless you grind the bolster down on a grinding wheel. The bottom part of the Bolster is the "Return."

knifepartsv.jpg

Most home cooks won't sharpen enough for that to be a very serious issue for a long time, but over the years it will add up. I think the bolster just adds too much dead weight to the knife; it makes the knife heavier while adding no benefits. A knife isn't a hammer, it's not a pry bar and it's not a can opener!

right on, thank you for the insight. So I went ahead and registered for the 2 piece set and the 7-piece set

Cool! They should serve you well for hobby home cooking. I only have a couple German knives left; a few Messermeisters I use at work and a Wusthof I also keep in my work roll. Almost all of my knives are Japanese. The only Henckel I had left I recently gave to my sister (it was a santoku similar to the one in the link I provided, and a very nice knife, BTW).

Well im really banking on getting a Glestain 6 3/4" Santuko some time in the near future. I think once the wife actually has a quality knife in her hand she will understand. She has bought a few of those $30 kitchen knife blocks than end up in my dish washer when im not looking and they all rust.... Till then though these Henkals will be perfect

Back
Top Bottom