Let's talk Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This isn't a discussion of want vs. need, is it? Because I am of the opinion that knives, much like any other tool for a craftsman, have nothing to do with *need.*

Having said that, I have to admit that I think these knives are awfully pretty.
Amazon.com: Wusthof Classic Ikon Creme 7-piece Black Slim Knife Block Set: Kitchen & Dining

Pretty is good to look at, but function is more important, and these are what fit my hands:

Wusthof Classic

I like that they just happen to be $120 less than the Ikons for the same set (although price isn't a consideration within reason), but I'd never buy a full set.

Last edited:
I'm sort of with Andy. I have a few knives that I've collected along the way, but I go for how it fits my hand first. For me the Wusthof Classic series and the Chicago Cutlery that looks similar are my favorites. I have 3 of each (Wusthof 10" and 6" chef's and 5" boning knife; Chicago 8" chef, 2½" paring and 3½" utility), along with a Dexter-Russell bread knife, and those are what I use 99% of the time.

I am with Andy also. I too have Chicago Cutlerly. I have very small hands and they have wooden handles, which I like. The wood feels secure in my hands. I had a 12" Shun chef's knife that I received as a gift. It is now in my son's home. Way too big for me. I find that the CC holds a sharp edge for a long time. Then I let my son sharpen them for me. I have a 7" chef's and a boning knife that I use all the time. Those are the first two I go for.

I often buy whole chicken legs with he back bone attached. Both of them come in very handy when cutting them up. :angel:

I'm happy with the knives I have, but I have to stop myself from ordering more Le Creuset baking dishes and cast-iron cookware...

Oh Garlic-- I haven't succumbed to the Le Creuset dishes - yet. I told Steve I want a cast iron skillet, and he was all set to get me one, and then we ordered a new stove with glass cooktop and I told him to stop the presses because I was afraid I'd ruin the new stove.

I did buy a cast iron dutch oven, but refrained from the costly le creuset.

As for knives, I tend to buy the same three knives - chef, boning/utility, and paring. I really have never had need for anything else. If I bought the pretty Wusthof Ikons (I think they're the same size as the Classic - and I own that entire set), I'd just have him get me the chefs to start with. Balance is everything, don't you think? And if that's true, then I'd get the Wusthof for the chef knife, but the Shun for the boning and paring knives... because those suckers feel amazing in your hand. :)

I've grown attached to my Henckels but would really like to try a really good Japanese knife. I don't think I want to own one though.

KDJ, do you sharpen your own knives? IF so, what do you use?

I've grown attached to my Henckels but would really like to try a really good Japanese knife. I don't think I want to own one though.

KDJ, do you sharpen your own knives? IF so, what do you use?

If you try one, you'll own several.

Get yourself a Tojiro DP Gyuto or Nakiri style, or another VG 10 clad blade. You won't be disappointed.

Hi Andy -

Ya know, I did way back in the day, and I used a stone and my steel. That's how they taught us, so that's what I did. The last 12 years has been like being in a coma; all the travel and really not being home much at all except weekends - and it's funny you ask because the DH and I were just talking about that and there's this sweet sharpener I've been eyeing because some of my decades-old knives really do need to be sharpened now that I'm home and cooking all the time-- and it's the wusthof, and looks like a handle. Have you tried it? I'd use my stone, but it's long gone, and I figured I'd try something new.

Hmm... I was just reading that some people feel Shuns are overrated and overpriced. These same people recommend the Mighty Mac - another Japanese knife. I was just taking a peek at it, and it looks like a monster i.e. heavy. Anyone have one of these?

Hi Andy -

Ya know, I did way back in the day, and I used a stone and my steel. That's how they taught us, so that's what I did. The last 12 years has been like being in a coma; all the travel and really not being home much at all except weekends - and it's funny you ask because the DH and I were just talking about that and there's this sweet sharpener I've been eyeing because some of my decades-old knives really do need to be sharpened now that I'm home and cooking all the time-- and it's the wusthof, and looks like a handle. Have you tried it? I'd use my stone, but it's long gone, and I figured I'd try something new.

Never tried it but I think I know the one you mean. It's a pull through sharpener, right?

I use the Lansky system. Professional Knife Sharpening System | Lansky Sharpeners

The Lansky looks very nice!!

Since the days of watching Julia Child, Justin Wilson, and other celebrity chefs on PBS every Saturday I had always wanted a set of professional knives. I got over it when I looked at prices. If I spent all day in a kitchen earning a living the case would be different when it comes to top quality cutlery.......a few hours of prep and serving would not justify the cost for what I do.

I do have two CC pieces.......filet knife and a steel. Best thing after those two is an inexpensive KitchenAid chef's knife. All others are much cheaper and some were bought at estate auctions. I have enough petty peeves without having to watch over a professional set of knives.......one time I walked into my kitchen to find my son's in-law using my paring knife as a screwdriver.

Don't get me wrong, I have about a half dozen dutch ovens, but they're ceramic or stainless, and then the big aluminum ones when I catered.... but the cast iron has caught my eye, so I pulled the trigger on a 6.5 qt Tramontina. Hey, it was 40 bucks. It's probably going to be too heavy for me, that's why I didn't want to spend a fortune without being able to take one for a test drive.

Do you find there's a difference between brands of cast iron d.o's?

The husband just took a look at it and said "Oh, right, it looks similar to sharpening a chain saw." So there ya go. I think I'll get it and let him play with my knives. Thanks for the link!

:LOL:

I should have never wandered into this thread........I'm shopping for knives now. I guess if I get some decent knives I'll have to do the same with them as I do my tools.......under lock and key.

:LOL:

I should have never wandered into this thread........I'm shopping for knives now. I guess if I get some decent knives I'll have to do the same with them as I do my tools.......under lock and key.

I hear that! Now that it's just the two of us I don't have to worry, but when the kids were teenagers my knives disappeared. So did my silverware. I remember getting so cheesed after the THIRD set of silverware disappeared that I refused to buy more. The husband was in - so we only had plastic in the house for a while. It made me crazy, but not the kids...they thought it was great. Go figure. Backfired.

Reading this thread makes me want to go knife shopping. :whistling Methinks it's time for a short ride to the Dexter-Russell outlet less than half an hour from my house. I love my 8" cook's knife from them (that cost me $3.70) so much that it's time I looked for another useful knife or two.

...I pulled the trigger on a 6.5 qt Tramontina. Hey, it was 40 bucks. It's probably going to be too heavy for me...
My Le Creuset 4 1/4 quart weighs about 9 pounds, my Lodge comes in around 8.5, and I can lift and carry both of them simultaneously to move them to an empty horizontal surface, if need be. In no time at all you will develop great upper-arm strength. Helps one avoid that flappy skin that hangs from the upper arm, too. ;)

Reading this thread makes me want to go knife shopping. :whistling Methinks it's time for a short ride to the Dexter-Russell outlet less than half an hour from my house. I love my 8" cook's knife from them (that cost me $3.70) so much that it's time I looked for another useful knife or two.

My Le Creuset 4 1/4 quart weighs about 9 pounds, my Lodge comes in around 8.5, and I can lift and carry both of them simultaneously to move them to an empty horizontal surface, if need be. In no time at all you will develop great upper-arm strength. Helps one avoid that flappy skin that hangs from the upper arm, too. ;)

And Lord knows I need that! But it's not the upper arm strength, it's the c3-c7 fusion that restricts me from lifting anything over 5 pounds. :(

The husband just took a look at it and said "Oh, right, it looks similar to sharpening a chain saw." So there ya go. I think I'll get it and let him play with my knives. Thanks for the link!

It sort of is. But no files, just stones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom