Let's talk Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Here are some of my most used knives. What are your favorites? From filet,paring,fish,hunting & skinning,chefs,slicing,boning etc. & sharpening.

img_1410903_0_92f3d48032ff3792a44108e1ed50459a.jpg

That's a lot of knives, Joey.

When I first started out in cooking, I bought myself a set of Chicago Cutlery Walnut Traditions knives. Later, I was gifted a set of Henckels Pro S knives. I use the Henckels daily and some of the CC knives go to Aruba with me every year.

I have 6" and 8" chef's knives, a 6" utility, 3" and 4" paring knives. A 6" serrated knife and a bread knife. A slicing and a boning knife. Two kitchen shears and a carving fork. I use a CC butcher's knife when breaking down larger cuts.

I use a Lansky sharpening system to keep them sharp.

I don't have an electric knife sharpener.

We got Chicago Cutlery and Farberware sets many years ago as wedding gifts. I inherited a couple cleavers along with some boning knives and various other odds and ends. I bought a set of 3 santokus and a set of 3 ceramic knives. I use the santoku chef's knife the most. We use an electric 3 stage Chef's Choice sharpener, it does a nice job.

Looking over my collection, I think I may even have more knives than you do, Joey!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, I also have a Henckels cleaver. Does a great job on separating joints and chopping through small bones.

We got Chicago Cutlery and Farberware sets many years ago as wedding gifts. I inherited a couple cleavers along with some boning knives and various other odds and ends. I bought a set of 3 santukos and a set of 3 ceramic knives. I use the santuko chef's knife the most. We use an electric 3 stage Chef's Choice sharpener, it does a nice job.

Looking over my collection, I think I may even have more knives than you do, Joey!

Thats not all of my knives Dawg, just the ones I use most!

I have four cheap knives, no surprise! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A chef's knife, paring knife, serrated slicing knife from Martha Stewart's old Kmart days and an old GE electric knife from the 70's that I drag out on holidays, for old times sake.

I get my knives sharpened at a commercial sharpener that services the local grocery chains and butcher shops. He also has a large collection of new and used knives for sale at very low prices, I assume he makes his money on sharpening them after the sale. This might be something to look for in your local area.

I must have 3 sets of kitchen knives and umpteen gazillion various pocket knives, belt knives, camping knives. I love looking at knives and shopping for them.

My go to knives are Japanese Kanetsune VG 10. Purchased several years ago on the advice of Rob Babcock. The have served me well.

I also have a bunch of old Forschners, which are my lenders.

Didn't we have somebody here few years back who had like 200 knives, or so? He was a knife maker and a collector?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, I do remember we have had long discussions on knives in one thread. Which ones are the best, how to sharpen them, etc. We covered the whole subject thoroughly I thought.

For my part and contribution to this thread, I had a 12 Shun chef's knife. I gave it to my son. Way too big for my small hands to handle. Too dangerous in my hands.

I also have a Chicago Cutlery boning and 6" chef's knife. I have the hand held sharpener recommended by ATK. I gave my electric Chef's Choice sharpener to my son along with the knife. I have other maverick knives and use them when needed. Oddly enough, I do have an oyster knife. What the heck I am going to do with it, I have no idea. I can't even remember where I got it from. Maybe someday I will come across some oysters to buy and can make oyster stew. Yum! :angel:

I can't imagine any reason for having that many knives. I don't collect, I just use them, and I have what I need for kitchen use in a single knife block.

I have a couple of nice carving sets, one that was my Dad's, that only come out on special occasions when we have a big dinner. Otherwise, my 3 Wusthof knives (a 10" and a 6" chef, and 5" boning knife) do 99% of what I need to do in the kitchen.

I also have a 2" and a 3" CC paring knife that occasionally get some use when I don't already have one of the big knives out. Most of the time I just use what ever knife I am already using if a little job is necessary.

I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?

I love knives, I do have few my self, will have to take picture latter. A lot of times even slightest difference in knife shape makes all the difference when it comes to cutting/using. So I totally get it. I do not have as many filleting knives. S&P, do you hunt/fish?

Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.

Charlie, I live in Montana. I came out from NY & NJ to hunt & fish.I have hunted since I was old enough. I have hunted, deer, antelope, mountain lions, Mountain goats, buffalo & bear. I have been successful in all of the above. Fishing is also my passion, love trout, salmon & walleye fishing.

Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.

Where are you at in Montana. I lived for 8 years in Great Falls (graduated from Great Falls High in '64), and one year in Missoula before moving to Colorado in 1973.

I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.

I live in Whitehall, about 25 miles east of Butte. 2 hours south of Missoula.

I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.

Last edited:
This is the Wusthof Santoku knife I use 90% of the time, like other people use a chef knife.
It works best for me, and fits my hand perfectly. I also appreciate the beauty of this quality knife.

img_1411153_0_f661712a4d79ce0f392f7ab65117d20f.png

Souschef has his own Henkles Santoku that he likes as much as I like mine.
Every cook in the kitchen should have their own special knife.

We have a knife block of several others, but these are our favorites.

Last edited:
I believe that's one town in that area that I haven't at least driven through. I've been to Butte, Helena, Bozeman, but I've never driven between Butte and Bozeman, so I never hit Whitehall. Most of my time in that area was before the freeways were built, so travel was mostly on two lane roads, but it was also before Montana was extorted into posting a daytime speed limit, so we still got around pretty efficiently.

It's all nice country, although Butte would be nicer without the big hole in the ground. My brother and I drive up to Anaconda once in a while to play golf at the Old Works course there - the last time about 4 years ago.
Sorry to say it may have been the last time! Click on th link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=4Fai3S9wiYTbGxb3PShlwA&bvm=bv.86956481,d.aWw

Back
Top Bottom