Looking for a good beginner set of knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sourcheese

Assistant Cook
The past year and a half Ive taken up a love of cooking, but my kitchen knive set is a dismall (spelling) walmart special. These arent holding up for me and I am looking for a good general knive set for all around kitchen use thats in the 200 dollar price range. I bet this is a subject thats been beat to death, but any idea's would be apriciated. Thank you

Hi and welcome aboard.

You really should read through the earlier posts in this knife forum. Basically, they will tell you to skip the set and use your $200 to buy a few good knives. You really need only three or four to get the job done.

Go to a cutlery or kitchen store and ask to hold and feel some knives to find a brand and model that feels good in your hand.

I'm am with Andy 100% on this one, don't get stuff you won't need or use...just shoot for the basics: Chefs knife, paring knife, serrated knife(offset or not), cleaver(maybe) some good shears, and a thin bladed slicer.

And shop around, not all makes models are the same feel. Get what feels balanced and easily usable. Also look for good quality steel.

there is a chef set by calphalon...forged full tang etc, 8" chef knife 5"santuko. the price is good. check on line chef's catalogue or cooking .com to that add a good paring knife, a serrated bread knife, and a boning filet knife. you can buy moderate quality for $100 or so. get a diamond honing steel to keep them sharp

Go to your local college bookstore, so long as the college has a culinary academy. The one by where I live has a full set of decent Messermeister's for 204 dollars. Comes with the chef's knife, cleaver, utility knife, long serrated blade, honing steel, filet knife, shears and a full garnishing kit (including paring knife) and a knife safe

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom