Looking for an electric knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I want to get an electric knife and so far my search has yielded only one result: Cuisinart. Are there any other good electric knives out there or is Cuisinart pretty much it? I was kind of hoping to find a cordless model.

I don't use one but have seen Alton Brown make reference to an iexpensive one for less than $20. I suspect there is not much practical difference in this tool for the differences in price.

Can you post a link to the Cuisinart knife?

I read a review on electric knife's just a couple days ago. It was in one of my mags, I think. If I find that soon I'll let you know what the outcome. I do know that their favorite was a cheap one.

Americas Test Kitchen liked this one:

Electric Knives, Updated
from the Episode: Perfect Pork, Meat and Potatoes

Our favorite knife gave us the best performance for half the price.

Since 2000, when we first tested electric knives, some changes have occurred in this product category. Black & Decker no longer makes our favorite electric knife, the Ergo, but the company has replaced it with the EK800 Slice Right ($24.99). The Hamilton Beach 74250 Easy Slice Electric Knife ($25.99), which we downgraded in 2000 for an awkward, bulky handle, has been redesigned. And we found a new model from Cuisinart that retails for a whopping $60, more than twice the price of the other two. We brought all three knives into the test kitchen.

The Black & Decker Slice Right is every bit as good as its predecessor. It executed all tasks perfectly. Hamilton Beach's loop-style handle has been made more comfortable, but now the power button needs to be both pressed and pulled, more like a trigger. The need to apply extra pressure quickly becomes tiring.

The handsome Cuisinart comes with two sets of blades: carving and bread. But both blades seem reluctant to bite into food, whether a brisket or a baguette, and the sleek-looking handle feels quite bulky. For half the price and better performance, we will reach for the new Black & Decker Slice Right.
JF05_ElectricKnife.jpg

Black & Decker EK800 Slice Right: A worthy replacement for our favorite electric knife.

I have a Hamilton Beach one that I picked up for free a few years ago at some store (buy 2 appliances get one free; got it with a waffle iron and something I don't even recall). It works just fine; I really don't think there's any "nicer" than another when it comes to a product like that.

Course, I only use it to carve turkeys.

A friend of mine was given the Cuisinart as a gift. She said it works just fine but compared to her mother's Hamilton Beach, forget about it. Save some $ and get a better knife - Hamilton Beach (her opinion not mine). I took her advice and recently purchased a Hamilton Beach - it works great.

I just looked to see what mine was. It's a Hamilton Beach. It was made way back when Moby Dick was still a minnow....Still works fine.

I want to get an electric knife and so far my search has yielded only one result: Cuisinart. Are there any other good electric knives out there or is Cuisinart pretty much it? I was kind of hoping to find a cordless model.

Black and Decker makes a good one, or used to. Mine is still going strong. There are lots of different brands.

I had a expensive one -don't remmber what it was- and it didn't last long. Purchased a $9.00 (at the time)Hamilton beach one 15 yrs ago and still going strong. I use for the usual meat cutting, it works great for cutting bread , Husband used it for cutting some styrofoam,( with out me know at first) figure I would be buying a new one. Still going.

I have a KA and like it. I think a less expensive one would have done a good job, as well, but the KA was a gift and I'm grateful.

I had the opportunity to use a B+D electric knife to carve a Christmas turkey Tuesday. I don't know the model number but it looked like the one pictured above.

I did not like it at all. The blades were too flexible and during the carving, turkey worked its way in between the blades as I carved. I wouldn't own it.

Back
Top Bottom