MAC Knives v.s. Global

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Assistant Cook
I'm highly considering getting the MAC 8 1/2 inch chef's knife (HB-85). However, on the price list, it says that the knife is a "utility knife". So, can it still be a "chef's knife"? Is there a difference b/w a utility knife and a chef's knife?

I'm also considering the TH-80 (the one with the crazy dimples) and a Global 8inch knife.
here's the site:LINK
REMOVED
Any suggestions/considerations b/w Global and MAC?

Last edited by a moderator:
i hear the MAC 6.5" pro santoku is THE knife to own.

anybody got any experience with it? i've heard they're sharp and STAY sharp.

I love MAC's. They're just about the only metal blades I keep in my house (I'm typically a ceramic lover)

I have 2 MACs: an 8" chef's and a 6 1/2" Santoku, both with the Granton edge (those are the "dimples" you refer to). I use them for just about everything, but also have other knives that I own and still use when appropriate: a 10" Sabatier slicer; a Henckels bread knife; a Henckels boning knife and a couple of Henckels paring knives, one straight and one curved.

Knives are very personal though, so what feels good in my hand may not feel good in yours. Best thing is to try them out before buying. Most reputable kitchen/restaurant supply stores will be happy to oblige.

Good luck.

G

Chefs vs. Utility

In general when referring to knives, a utility knife is a smaller knife in the style of a western chefs knife. Usually around 4-6in in length used for smaller tasks such as finer cuts on fruits and vegetables (i.e. orange supremes.)

I can assure you that this was a problem with language. Not that mac doesnt understand what a utility knife is simply that the knife you are discussing is a western knife with the blade in a style of a Japanese knife that is a multi-purpose "utility" knife. If that makes any sense where a confusion of language could occur.

To summarize, yes there is a difference between a chefs knife and a utility knife but the knife in question is most definitely a chefs knife not a "utility knife".

On a personal note, i would give this knife a great endorsement. Very light in the hand with good edge retention and not too long to be cumbersome but long enough to get the job done. The edge is something you will want to make sure you like. As i said previously the taper on the edge or shinobi line is in the style of a japanese "chefs knife" not the western curve that you would find on a wusthof or henckels or global or any of the other great knife companies that power through the kitchens of our great american home chefs. Btw, most of those knifes are just replicas of eachother

Price, weight, edge-retention, price, weight, price, 4 out of 5 stars.

Raising the dead here!

I really love my MAC knife. It is really durable and has kept sharp with minimal care.

I do think my next knives are going to be the Alton Brown touted Shun knives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom