MAC Superior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarionW

Senior Cook
I recently purchased a MAC Superior Series knife. I'm quite pleased. In my opnion, they are a great knife for the money. I'm not attempting to endorse one product over another. My attempt is to help anyone out there who may be considering MAC.

Best regards,
Marion

I purchased MAC Original series knives about 20 years ago and they have served me well. I still use them on a daily basis. However, these knives are very brittle for metal knives. My brother actually broke one of the knives in half when cutting some coconut chunks. The blades edges also chip easily.

Aurora, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Actually, the Japanese knives are designed differently than the Euro's. For "roughage" such as coconut, pineapple, bones, etc... a Japanese clever is best suited. But, for anyone wishing a Japanese knife, to be used as intended, the MAC would be hard to be, for the money. For someone wishing a "do-it-all" knife, by all means go Euro.

I love Mac's. They're hardened like mad, sharp as anything you'll find...

The thing about them being brittle though...you do realize that technically they're sushi knives, right? You're not supposed to be cutting coconuts with em :P.

Poppinfresh said:
I love Mac's. They're hardened like mad, sharp as anything you'll find...

The thing about them being brittle though...you do realize that technically they're sushi knives, right? You're not supposed to be cutting coconuts with em :P.

Believe me, I was fully aware of the frailty and use of these fine knives. I only had the knives for about a month when my younger brother was visiting from college. He wasn't cutting the coconuts he was using the knive to pry the meat from the shell. Boy was I steamed. I still use the other knives in the set daily after nearly 30 years.

Your brother has had 30 years and he still hasn't replaced the knife he broke from your set? Have you tried sending him a knife catilog, or the MAC URL with a product selection?

romanticf16 said:
Your brother has had 30 years and he still hasn't replaced the knife he broke from your set? Have you tried sending him a knife catilog, or the MAC URL with a product selection?

I'm not the kind to hold onto this type of life's little irritations. Anyway, my brother passed about 10 years ago and I remember him fondly for this and everything else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom