Magnetic Knife Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've looked at the description and the reviews and questions asked on line and it looks like it will accommodate my 8" chefs knife as well as my sandoku with no issues at all. The top heaviness may be an issue but if that is the case I'll just return it. I also never put a knife away dirty so I don't see an issue in that area. The real selling point for me is that it takes up less room than a block but unlike a magnetic bar I can move it around my poorly designed kitchen as needed.
I'm going to give it a try and see what happens, if it doesn't work I'll just return it.

I've looked at the description and the reviews and questions asked on line and it looks like it will accommodate my 8" chefs knife as well as my sandoku with no issues at all. The top heaviness may be an issue but if that is the case I'll just return it. I also never put a knife away dirty so I don't see an issue in that area. The real selling point for me is that it takes up less room than a block but unlike a magnetic bar I can move it around my poorly designed kitchen as needed.
I'm going to give it a try and see what happens, if it doesn't work I'll just return it.

Sounds like you have it figured out. I think that everyone I've ever discussed kitchen stuff with has different needs or situations in some respect no matter how similar the kitchens may same at first sight. What works for me may be uncomfortable or even impossible for you.

I think that is one reason why this forum is so much fun. I love learning about how others have solved problems or adapted to what they have available.

Looking at the close-up pictures of the knife block, I'm a bit concerned how well the black material at the top will hold up over time.

It's lovely. Looking forward to seeing how you like it as well.

I'm also retired and living in a condo. I used to use a knife block but needed the counter space so I bought a magnetic knife bar. the only place I could mount it was on a clear section of backsplash under kitchen cabinets. Here's how it looked before the remodel. You can see it's a tight fit.

Andy, a number of years back I had that same magnetic bar for holding knives. I found the magnet on both sides to be very weak. And I don't have heavy knives. If I hung the knives as you have, they slid right off. Reverse them so the handle was at the top, and the whole unit would slide right down to the floor. I used it on the fridge, So my son put up a metal backdrop for me and in theory, it should have stayed in place. I put the knives on it, and the whole thing would slide down or the knives still fell off. I didn't have very much wall space where I could attach it either. The screw holes were tiny and of no use whatsoever. Spike tried to drill them to be bigger so that they would take a long screw. I REALLY wanted this to work. And we tried everything. It ended up in the wastebasket. :angel:

Of course this was about 10-15 years ago. I hope they have improved the strength of the magnets on it. Because the one I had was terrible.

Andy, a number of years back I had that same magnetic bar for holding knives. I found the magnet on both sides to be very weak. And I don't have heavy knives. If I hung the knives as you have, they slid right off. Reverse them so the handle was at the top, and the whole unit would slide right down to the floor. I used it on the fridge, So my son put up a metal backdrop for me and in theory, it should have stayed in place. I put the knives on it, and the whole thing would slide down or the knives still fell off. I didn't have very much wall space where I could attach it either. The screw holes were tiny and of no use whatsoever. Spike tried to drill them to be bigger so that they would take a long screw. I REALLY wanted this to work. And we tried everything. It ended up in the wastebasket. :angel:

Of course this was about 10-15 years ago. I hope they have improved the strength of the magnets on it. Because the one I had was terrible.

Addie there are weak magnets and strong magnets. I've had mine for about 10 years. I have not had an issue with any knives but the magnets won't hold the steel.

Addie there are weak magnets and strong magnets. I've had mine for about 10 years. I have not had an issue with any knives but the magnets won't hold the steel.

I have had Chicago Cutlery for years. And I believe that just may have been the problem. :angel:

Looking at the close-up pictures of the knife block, I'm a bit concerned how well the black material at the top will hold up over time.
I was and maybe still am concerned about that as well and that I asked that question of previous buyers on Amazon. All of the answers I received was that there had been no issues with it. I'll have to take a close look and keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I know a couple of you were looking for some feedback on the new style knife "block" so for what it's worth, I'll be sending it back. While it does look nice and does save a small amount of counter space, I'm finding it a bit awkward to use, it seems a little strange to pull the knife straight up instead of out at an angle and you really need to pay attention to get it back into the correct slot. So all in all a little to much awkwardness for to little gain for me at least.

Thanks for the report flp. It's attractive in the picture, but if you're anything like me, it wouldn't take long for it show all the water spots related to food prep.

I recently bought this one for my son and he likes it a lot. Just a thought.
http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Dice-...8&qid=1453157153&sr=1-4&keywords=knife+blocks

I had already purchased this one: Henckels International Bamboo Knife Block, 16-slot | cutleryandmore.com but tried that other one just to see if would save a little more room but that didn't work out so I"m going back to the henckels. I had bought the henckels because the one I'd been using for years didn't have a slot for the Sandoku. The only issue I have with the henckels is the placement of the slot for the shears but I'll get used to that.
I had seen the one you posted the link for but decided to go with the more traditional one because the knives will always be in the same slots so it's easy to grab the one I want. In that one since the knives could be placed anywhere I suspect I'd always be grabbing the wrong one, but that's just me.

Beware that Ceramic knives won't stick on magnetic bars

Should go without saying, but it was a surprise to me when I tried to stick my Kyocera knife to the rack. :dry:

Back
Top Bottom