Magnetic Knife Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flphotog

Assistant Cook
When I retired I bought a Condo and sold my house. In consequence I now have a very small kitchen. I'm trying to rearrange things a bit and one thing I would like to try is a magnetic knife bar, however what I would really like is one that would magnetically attach to the side of my refrigerator. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Thanks

You can buy a roll of magnetic material (like thick tape) and glue it to the back of the knife holder. They are pretty powerful magnets.

I shy away from magnetic knife bars due to personal experience. I had one, and some of the knifes were too heavy, or didn't make solid contact (Chicago Cutlery hollow ground), and so fell off regularly. And if you are using stainless steel, some will stick to a magnet, while others won't. Ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not.

So, before purchasing a magnetic knife bar, make sure all of your knives will stick to a magnet.

Not relavant for this thread, but I saw a post where it was stated that a pan needs to be magnetic to work with an induction stove. That is not true. It does need to contain iron, however, and should be a relativley poor conductor of electrical current, thus producing heat as electrical eddy currents are produced through induction, a process where expanding and collapsing magenetic flux lines pass through the metal, creating electrical currents. Due to the resistance of the iron, or steel, the metal is heated by the eddy currents.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's a great idea Andy, I hadn't thought of that. Both are on order and should be here on Fri. As for the knife sticking to a magnet no issue there either.

That's a great idea Andy, I hadn't thought of that. Both are on order and should be here on Fri. As for the knife sticking to a magnet no issue there either.

Sounds like you are in business. I hope you can find the perfect spot to install it, and that it gives you great service.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I retired I bought a Condo and sold my house. In consequence I now have a very small kitchen. I'm trying to rearrange things a bit and one thing I would like to try is a magnetic knife bar, however what I would really like is one that would magnetically attach to the side of my refrigerator. Does anyone know of one that would do this?

Thanks

I'm also retired and living in a condo. I used to use a knife block but needed the counter space so I bought a magnetic knife bar. the only place I could mount it was on a clear section of backsplash under kitchen cabinets. Here's how it looked before the remodel. You can see it's a tight fit.

Attachments

• thumb_DSC02943_1024.jpg
    thumb_DSC02943_1024.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 293
You can buy a roll of magnetic material (like thick tape) and glue it to the back of the knife holder. They are pretty powerful magnets.

I really like my magnetic knife bar. Had not thought of the magnetic tape, great idea! I may even have some in the craft room.

I'm also retired and living in a condo. I used to use a knife block but needed the counter space so I bought a magnetic knife bar. the only place I could mount it was on a clear section of backsplash under kitchen cabinets. Here's how it looked before the remodel. You can see it's a tight fit.
That's the only spot I really have free as well Andy just wasn't sure I'd like it there. That's way I'm thinking the fridge. I'll try it that way and if it doesn't work I'll rethink I'll look at under the cabinets over the sink.

Thanks Andy

That's the only spot I really have free as well Andy just wasn't sure I'd like it there. That's way I'm thinking the fridge. I'll try it that way and if it doesn't work I'll rethink I'll look at under the cabinets over the sink.

Thanks Andy

I also used that spot because it's right in front of my prep area.

I really like my magnetic knife bar. Had not thought of the magnetic tape, great idea! I may even have some in the craft room.
Be careful of the magnetic tape you buy. I bought some and a knife bar form Amazon. As luck would have it the bar came about an inch shorter than advertised, doesn't sound like much but would have made it a little tight for my use so it went back. The flexible magnetic tape was to weak to hold much of anything, they wouldn't or couldn't take it back but they refunded my money anyway, so I'm back at square one at the moment.
I did come across this, which I'm considering Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Knife Block, Clear: Kitchen & Dining

I don't know how "handy" you are but my first thought is that you could make your own knife bar using some easily available items.

I've solved a number of issues around our house using various strengths of neodymium magnets. They are readily available from Amazon.

My thinking is that you could determine the length of the bar you need and cut (or have cut) a nice piece of hardwood that size. Stain, finish, whatever, however you wish. Then, route a groove straight down the middle and epoxy the number of magnets you need for the quantity of knives you will be storing on the bar.

To mount the bar/rack, all you would have to do is to drill some pilot holes at each end to run some screws through into the wall or wherever you plan to store the knives.

Problem solved...and you created it yourself.

Be careful of the magnetic tape you buy. I bought some and a knife bar form Amazon. As luck would have it the bar came about an inch shorter than advertised, doesn't sound like much but would have made it a little tight for my use so it went back. The flexible magnetic tape was to weak to hold much of anything, they wouldn't or couldn't take it back but they refunded my money anyway, so I'm back at square one at the moment.
I did come across this, which I'm considering Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Knife Block, Clear: Kitchen & Dining

That one not only looks unsteady, it doesn't look like it would accommodate either a Chef Knife, or a Santoku.

Last edited:

Sorry, I didn't check the Kuhn Rikon link. Just did and I have a feeling, like Kayelle, it might be top heavy. Not sure because I couldn't get a feel for it from the item's description. The one thing that gives me pause, is that the business end of the knives seems like they'd be enclosed and I'm not sure how that would be for incubating "nasties."

Sorry, I didn't check the Kuhn Rikon link. Just did and I have a feeling, like Kayelle, it might be top heavy. Not sure because I couldn't get a feel for it from the item's description. The one thing that gives me pause, is that the business end of the knives seems like they'd be enclosed and I'm not sure how that would be for incubating "nasties."

Why would it "incubate nasties" on a clean knife?

I'm just a little "type A" about clean stuff in the kitchen. My knives do not go into the dishwasher and I do my best to thoroughly handwash them. However, I don't know how others who use my kitchen treat the knives. Just my take on how I treat my tools.

I agree Katie, but other knife blocks have the same concern. I just think that particular one is a very poor design.;)

That one not only looks unsteady, it doesn't look like it would accommodate either a Chef Knife, or a Santoku.
Yeah, I have some concerns about the design of that one too. I'm afraid that knives would wobble or maybe they will rest on their points, as well as looking unsteady.

I'm just a little "type A" about clean stuff in the kitchen. My knives do not go into the dishwasher and I do my best to thoroughly handwash them. However, I don't know how others who use my kitchen treat the knives. Just my take on how I treat my tools.

My knives are all hand washed as soon as I'm through using them. I never let any debris dry on them. I wash, dry and put them away promptly.

The same is true of most everything I use when prepping and cooking. Even something like prep bowls that could just as well go in the dishwasher. I figure that since I always have one side of the sink filled with hot, soapy water when I'm cooking, and there always seems to be a few minutes of idle time here and there, I might as well stay ahead of the mess. :)

Back
Top Bottom