Magnetic Knife Strip Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxinquaye

Assistant Cook
I was looking around at magnetic knife strips and they offerings seem to be pretty slim. A lot of them have exposed metal which I imagine can't be very good for the knives. I was thinking about making my girlfriend one out of solid wood (maybe something exotic like Zebrawood) and embedding very strong neodymium magnets thorough the back, so the only thing exposed for the knife to meet is the wood itself. Does anyone sell anything like this?

I don't have much experience with cooking. If you guys who are more knowledgable had carte blance to custom design a very stylish looking exotic wood magnetic knife holder, what would be important to you? How wide should it be and how much offset from the wall for handle clearance? How many knives would you like it to hold? I appreciate the help...I'll make sure to post pics if I end up making the piece for her (I'm a woodworker).

If you are to buy something like that it will put you way over your budget...

You said you were a craftsman right? I would definately try making one for her, that way it is the best size and everything :)

Edit: Just read the rest of your questions. The wood will probably be thick enough so you shouldn't need much offset. I would let it hang from somewhere near where she usually uses her cutting board. I would make it wide enough for a Chef knife, a bread knife, a slicer and maybe even a Santoku. Mostly just the ones that are used the most often.

Last edited:
Thanks Hawkeye, I'm definitely planning on making it myself. I was just wondering if anyone else made them so I could take a look at the dimensions. I have no idea how large to make it, etc.

I know how magnets tend to grab metal...gaving it grab the knife in the wrong way seems to me like it could send the edge into the metal and damage it.

I have one with metal magnets and have been using it for years. I see no ill effects on the knives. They are not even marked from the action of sticking and unsticking them.

"You could use the metal ones out there as a guide. "

OK, guess I will :)

I was just hoping that maybe someone on here with more experience had some thoughts on how to make it better. I know many times with something basic like this, the designers don't put too much thought into them. Figured with your guys help I could build a better mousetrap, but maybe the mousetrap is just fine as is :cool:

I have one with metal magnets and have been using it for years. I see no ill effects on the knives. They are not even marked from the action of sticking and unsticking them.

However, if you wanted to make one as you describe, you could embed the magnets into a recess and then cover them with a veneer of decorative wood. The magnets whould have to be strong enough to hold the heaviest knife safely through the veneer.

Thanks Andy. I'll likely use a solid piece of exotic stock and embed the magnets from the back.

Have you ever handled Neodymium magnets? They're amazing! I use them all the time...a disk 1/2" across and 1/8" thick will hold over 15 lbs. A 1" by 3/4" will hold 70 lbs! My main concern is testing a few types so thy don't hold the knife too hard :LOL:

I use metal knife rails, too. I like your idea, maxinquaye. I wonder if you could buy knife rail (I got mine at IKEA for $6) and then build a little "box" around the edge of the rail that stands proud of the rail by just a little (1/8") so that the magnet would hold the knives without the metal actually touching them? I'm not a woodworker so maybe I'm not describing this right.

Thanks Andy. I'll likely use a solid piece of exotic stock and embed the magnets from the back.

Have you ever handled Neodymium magnets? They're amazing! I use them all the time...a disk 1/2" across and 1/8" thick will hold over 15 lbs. A 1" by 3/4" will hold 70 lbs! My main concern is testing a few types so thy don't hold the knife too hard :LOL:

That raises a valid query. If the magnet is too strong, will it have the propensity to grab the knife out of your (or your gf's) hand? That would seem to me to be much more dangerous to both the knife and the wielder than the thin strip of metal on a commercial one. Not to say the design won't work.... Just food for thought.

I love those magnets (I hear them called earth magnets sometimes)

As long as the strip is anchored well I don't see a problem with getting the knives off. I would do wood incase the knife slides a bit before lifting as I would think it would scratch... but then again I have no experience... just ideas :) That is why I am here too.

I would think rare earth magnets would be too strong to be safe. i could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

The magnet knife holders out there are very simple and do their job extremely well. There is no damage to the knife and they are commonly thought to be the best way to store knives from a safety, hygiene, and convenience point of view. There really is not much that can be done to them to make them better.

Aesthetically your idea sounds great. I am pretty sure I have seen wooden magnetic knife holders (at Williams Sonoma maybe) that were all wood with the magnets inside. They looked very attractive. I think as long as you find the right strength magnet (not too strong and not too weak) then you could really have something great.

LOL .... you make the perfect "functional" magnetic wood knife strip ... and then she goes out and buys some really expensive ceramic knives .... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom