Murray Carter, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Witchlord

Assistant Cook
So, i just picked up a new chefs knife, and that didnt quench my buying thirst. So Ive been considering picking up a Deba for small jobs, since my smallest knife is 8". Ive been looking at Murray Carter for a few years now, but wasnt sure if he was legit or not. Anyone have any of his knives and/or used them to know if they are worth the money? If he is what the website claims, i wont have any qualms about spending the money on them, and would actually prefer to do that so as to support small business'. Thanks in advance for your help :)

I have a 6 sun Nakiri and 6.7 sun Funayuki, both in Hitachi white steel and both are HG models. MC is the real deal - some of the thinnest, best forged, Japanese knives available anywhere. If you want to buy less than HG, get the upgraded handles as his standard handles are not so good.

I have a 6 sun Nakiri and 6.7 sun Funayuki, both in Hitachi white steel and both are HG models. MC is the real deal - some of the thinnest, best forged, Japanese knives available anywhere. If you want to buy less than HG, get the upgraded handles as his standard handles are not so good.

It seems he only has his base model versions in stock, along with three of his IP series. I cant afford the IP series, and can barely afford his base models. How much does the HG series run? Im only looking for a 5 to 6 inch blade, nothing too big. And Id like to keep it less than 200 bux. Ill probably end up having to buy is base line, but we shall see.

It seems he only has his base model versions in stock, along with three of his IP series. I cant afford the IP series, and can barely afford his base models. How much does the HG series run? Im only looking for a 5 to 6 inch blade, nothing too big. And Id like to keep it less than 200 bux. Ill probably end up having to buy is base line, but we shall see.

First of all, a HG Funayuki 5.3 sun (6.3") in Blue Super Steel (the best carbon in the world) just came on the market here. I know that is more than you want to spend but it's available now. :rolleyes:

Pricing from Carter is best ascertained by a phone call. I highly recommend the SFGZ series because you can get a blade in Hitachi White #1 steel, less expensive than Blue Super but you'll never know the difference, believe me. It sounds like you want about 4.5 sun for length. Ask Murray about a handle upgrade and see what he comes up with. You'll get along fine without a fancy handle though. Most of the gripes I've seen are on sites where lots of members get custom handles for big bucks and can be overly picky.

Carters are great knives. Good luck.

Buzz

Carters come up for sale occasionally on the various knife forums, too. You might make a 'WTB (for Want To Buy) Carter' post and see what's out there.

Available right now. Call Carter for purchasing. The leading numbers are length in "sun". 1 sun = 1.19375 inch

Kuro-uchi Series
All are Funayuki

4.5KUF $135
5.0KUF (2 in stock) $150
5.2KUF (2 in stock) $156
5.4KUF (2 in stock) $162
5.5KUF (2 in stock) $165
5.6KUF $168
6.2KUF $186

Stainless Fukugozai Series
All are in blue super steel unless otherwise noted

4.4SFGZFS Funayuki $150