My favourite Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gargoyle1972

Assistant Cook
My favourite knives are my global knives i love them and have a 10 piece set at home slowly building them up .Also have there carving set which is great. for work at the moment have a set of Henckels and they are fab for doing large quantity stuff. Still have my first set of knives my sabatiers which for my 1st set did my well when I was 16!!! Now 35 and some are still going strong! some i have passed onto friends!:rolleyes:

I had considered Globals when I was looking for a Chef's knife. These are my favorites:

The one on top is a handmade Tosagata Santoku. The bottom is a Frosts (maker of excellent Swedish Mora knives) ten-inch cook's knife with their proprietary polymer "UniGrip" handle.

My favorite knives are Gunter Wilhelm Knives. They have a unique handle which gives them great balance and a solid feel. They really keep their edges well and they sharpen easily. And they look really great !! Has anyone else tried them ? LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
My all time favorite knife, which my insignificant other took when she split, was my Friedrick Dick 10-inch chef's knife. It didn't work any better than my Hinckles or my Gunter Wilhelm knives, but it sure was fun seeing the look on people's faces when I told them I had one! :censored:

My fave knife is my victorinox 22cm chefs knife - so comfortable, very sharp and hold its edge really well. Victorinox offer such amazing value and fantastic quality - im about to order a special offer for a turning knife, paring knife and serrated tomato knife for £5 inc VAT & delivery! Its crazy! Also just ordered a 16.5" fluted satoku knife from them which i should have monday.. looking forward to see how i get on with this - im mainly buying it for chopping shallots / onions very finely

Shun's are pretty nice knives, if I do say so myself. There are others I prefer (ceramics obviously, MAC, Henckel Twin Cuisine) but I would never turn my nose at a Shun.

That chef's knife in the picture looks a lot like a Messermeister. What's different about the handle that makes it proprietary?

Mine? If you're speaking of the Four Seasons line of Messermeisters, I believe they have a rubbery, Neoprene-like handles where the UniGrip is a hard plastic with a high-friction surface. I've found it to be very grippy, even when wet and oily! A lot of food service knives seem to have that handle shape. I wonder about that sometimes.

The steel in the blade is more my style as well. I have a great deal of experience (and faith) in Sandvik 12C27's slightly higher carbon content. There's certainly nothing wrong with Krupp 4116, it's just personal preference. Coincidentally, 4116 is very near to Victorinox's usual blade steel composition. None of those three steels are VG10 or s30v, of course, but they are certainly more than serviceable!

Right now, my favorite is Lamsonsharp Silver Chef 8". I ordered a Gunther Wilhelm today and am looking forward to seeing the quality.

My husband makes custom knives and made me two knives for our anniversary a few years ago. I have to say they are my favorite not only because he made them but because they are super sharp and make cutting a breeze!

My favorite knife is my Thiers Issard 6" carbon steel knife.

I have forged 6"-8"-10" knives, a santuko, plus my professional Forschner's, but the knife that I reach for at home is the French-pattern carbon steel knife.

I have a lot of Chicago Cutlery. A lady at the Farmers Market once tried to get me to buy some Pampered Chef stuff but I could not justify the cost. I sharpen my knives before each use to keep a good edge on them.
I am, however, missing a lot of their more specialty knives and would like to pick some of them up.

Seems a shame Lamson and Godnow isn't more appreciated. They may not have the best edge retention properties but they're easy to maintain.

I find the edge retains it's sharpness extremely well. The chef see's a stone once or twice a year and is used daily on a maple cutting board. I use that knife for pretty much everything from cutting through bones, slicing, to mincing garlic. The whole edge stays sharp. This is my custom tailored collection. For now, they are stored on their sides in a drawer on top of a kitchen towel. I plan on making a holder out of wood that will keep the blades suspended.

img_551336_0_c10f242222af111b5bd688cc15237f37.jpg

I have a lot of Chicago Cutlery. A lady at the Farmers Market once tried to get me to buy some Pampered Chef stuff but I could not justify the cost. I sharpen my knives before each use to keep a good edge on them.
I am, however, missing a lot of their more specialty knives and would like to pick some of them up.

Don't know how Chicago Cutlery is now but I'm satisfied with my 25 year old 7" model 601S. Like you, I touch up the edge either before or after each use. Since it's a hollow ground knife, it's not the best for slicing but it's great for disjointing a cooked turkey.

Chef Knife Recs?

I'm looking for a good chef's knife - interested in saving money - don't care how it looks but want it to work well. Any suggestions? I keep hearing about the Wusthof classic 8" chef but is it better to get it hollow edge (dimpled) or not?

Back
Top Bottom