My first quality knife set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I primarily use my paring knife for cutting the cores out of small vegetables.

Yup, I can relate to that. Or sometimes I have left a veggie or fruit in the fridge too long and just catch it and it will have a small spot or two that needs to be removed. :angel:

I don't think many young people have as much disposable income as they act like they do. Too many live with their parents because they're unemployed or underemployed and don't bother to save because they think they're invincible. And they seem to think they need to start out as if they're mid-career when they're not.

I still think starting with a chef's knife, a paring knife and a serrated knife is the best way to go, adding to the collection as needs arise.

I couldn't agree with you more GG.

If anyone of any age is prepared to buy a $850.00 knife set they need to get a reality check if they've never personally handled the knives. If they don't fit your hand right they're simply worthless

Last edited:
I use my paring knife for....Lets see, picking out splinters, sharpening pencils when I can't fine the pencil sharpener for my eyebrow pencil, certainly not for paring. That's is what my serrated peeler is for. I have two paring knives. Dollar Store specials. Five for $1. When one gets dull, get another out of the package. I might use it to dig the eyes out of taters if the tip of the peeler can't get it. Oh yeah. I have used the parer to remove a spot on a veggie or fruit that doesn't look to healthy to me.

I think it is time to start telling new cooks that instead of a paring knife , to get a good peeler. I don't know of anyone who pares veggies anymore with a knife. To much waste. :angel:

I use mine for close in work on small fruits and vegetables, as well as opening the mail, and cutting the tape on Amazon packages.

I use mine for close in work on small fruits and vegetables, as well as opening the mail, and cutting the tape on Amazon packages.

I have a knife that was a supermarket special. A knife a week. My granddaughter bought me the first one, (bless her heart) and I still have it. Great for reaching in back of me and scratching an itch, scraping anything stuck on the floor, and opening like packages. BTW, I told her to save her money. I didn't need any new knives. Now that she is older she realizes why I didn't want anymore supermarket specials. And she is surprised that I still have that one and only. :angel:

...I think it is time to start telling new cooks that instead of a paring knife , to get a good peeler. I don't know of anyone who pares veggies anymore with a knife. To much waste. :angel:
Although I don't use it to peel fruits or veggies, I DO use my Zwilling paring knife for at least half of my knife work. It feels good in my hand, it maneuvers just right as I move it, and it cuts like a hot blade through butter. "Paring knives" can be useful for so much more than paring. Actually, the only time I pare something with it is when I make apple pie. I like to see how much of the apple I can peel in one continuous piece. :whistling Sometimes I like to play games when I work. :LOL:

If anyone of any age is prepared to buy a $850.00 knife set they need to get a reality check if they've never personally handled the knives. If they don't fit your hand right they're simply worthless
+1 How it feels in the hand is just as important as how good of an edge it holds.

I have quality knives and they are sharp. SO uses a cheap serrated steak knife for just about everything. Well, not everything. Sometimes she uses a table knife when a cheap serrated steak knife is the better choice.

I have quality knives and they are sharp. SO uses a cheap serrated steak knife for just about everything. Well, not everything. Sometimes she uses a table knife when a cheap serrated steak knife is the better choice.
:LOL:

I use a cheap, serrated steak knife for cutting tomatoes when I don't feel like getting a good knife dirty.

Thanks for the help everyone! I have reduced my budget significantly since my original post and will take it slow and go with the suggestions made here and on other forums to start out with a few essentials knives. I am a sucker for looks and while I am now aware that putting together a custom set from different manufacturers is ideal, I would love for all of the knives to match but I'm slowly letting go of that idea. Right now I am thinking of starting out with a chef's knife, pairing, maybe a utility knife and a bread knife. I do also want 6 steak knives.

Yardley, if you store them in a drawer in a flat knife tray you won't notice the handles as much. ;)

I do suggest that you check out Rada knives. I have bought several the last couple of years and find them all to be great, both on price and function. I don't know if you would find them by you. They actually seem to be available in touristy type locations. :huh: If you can't find a location near to you here, you do have the option of ordering online. FWIW, I'm a female with size 7 1/2 hands with some arthritis. Even though the handles are made of metal, they all feel good in my hand.

Happy shopping and chopping!

Yardley, if you store them in a drawer in a flat knife tray you won't notice the handles as much. ;)

I do suggest that you check out Rada knives. I have bought several the last couple of years and find them all to be great, both on price and function. I don't know if you would find them by you. They actually seem to be available in touristy type locations. :huh: If you can't find a location near to you here, you do have the option of ordering online. FWIW, I'm a female with size 7 1/2 hands with some arthritis. Even though the handles are made of metal, they all feel good in my hand.

Happy shopping and chopping!

I'll have to look into a flat knife tray but I don't have tons of drawer storage. For chefs knives I've been recommended to look at the following:

MAC Professional 9-1/2 inch Chef's Knife (MBK-95)
Masamoto VG 240 mm gyuto
Hiromoto 240 mm AUS-10 gyuto

Yardley, I can't speak to the Asian style knife suggestions because I'm not a fan of them. The balance feels all wrong in my hand. I much prefer the traditional style of knife. And inexpensive. While I'm not hesitant to buy a pricey knife (see my earlier post mentioning my Zwilling paring knife), if I can find a quality, feel-good knife for less money I'm a happy clam. I live a short drive from the Dexter-Russell knife factory, a manufacturer of professional grade knives. They have a factory outlet that is open one evening a week and I've gone there a couple of times to look-see. My best find was a "seconds" cook's knife, 8" size which is perfect in my hand, and cost me $3.70 plus tax. The reason it was a second? It was taken to a trade show. Before they would let me take it out the door, one of the craftsmen took the knife back into the factory to check the balance and sharpen the blade. That "cheap" knife sees a lot of action.

There are a couple of members here who favor (or at least use regularly) those Asian style knives. Check back, I'm sure you'll see some reviews.

I love Dexter Russell knives. Especially soft grip. You are lucky to have the outlet near you. I'd spend all my money there. ;). But I also love Japanese made knives

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Thanks for the help everyone! I have reduced my budget significantly since my original post and will take it slow and go with the suggestions made here and on other forums to start out with a few essentials knives. I am a sucker for looks and while I am now aware that putting together a custom set from different manufacturers is ideal, I would love for all of the knives to match but I'm slowly letting go of that idea. Right now I am thinking of starting out with a chef's knife, pairing, maybe a utility knife and a bread knife. I do also want 6 steak knives.

If you really want to trim the budget while figuring out what is best for you, try Dexter Russell (search Amazon). They are generally aimed at restaurants and commercial kitchens, but they are good knives and very reasonably priced. My bread slicer is a DR.

Just wanted to post an update, I went with the MAC Mighty Chef's knife and I love it. I never used a knife this sharp before and it is incredibly satisfying.

Just wanted to post an update, I went with the MAC Mighty Chef's knife and I love it. I never used a knife this sharp before and it is incredibly satisfying.

Your assignment, should you accept it, is to keep that knife sharp, so you don't hurt yourself. I strop my knives on the steel before and after every use, and I sharpen them with my Presto Eversharp electric knife sharpener every 6 months. I also bring my knife roll into the Amoretti Test Kitchen and bring the company knives home to sharpen them every 6 months.

Last edited:
I'll have to look into a flat knife tray but I don't have tons of drawer storage. For chefs knives I've been recommended to look at the following:

MAC Professional 9-1/2 inch Chef's Knife (MBK-95)
Masamoto VG 240 mm gyuto
Hiromoto 240 mm AUS-10 gyuto

I have a Hattori 240mm gyuto and love it. I also have the boning knife and a petty (so they do match). I rarely use any other knife we have.

Your assignment, should you accept it, is to keep that knife sharp, so you don't hurt yourself. I strop my knives on the steel before and after every use, and I sharpen them with my Presto Eversharp electric knife sharpener every 6 months. I also bring my knife roll into the Amoretti Test Kitchen and bring the company knives home to sharpen them every 6 months.

I would not attempt to sharpen any J knife on a slot sharpener. The angles are wrong, the steel is too hard, and you lose a lot of metal to the sharpener. And, you will never get a blade as sharp as a Mac out of the box.

Better to learn to use a good set of water stones or send the knife to a very good sharpener. I think there are a couple who hang out here occasionally. JMO.

I would not attempt to sharpen any J knife on a slot sharpener. The angles are wrong, the steel is too hard, and you lose a lot of metal to the sharpener. And, you will never get a blade as sharp as a Mac out of the box.

Better to learn to use a good set of water stones or send the knife to a very good sharpener. I think there are a couple who hang out here occasionally. JMO.

I'm complete new to this but I looked at that electric sharper and my instincts said noooooo. How often should I sharpen the MAC? I must learn the way of the stone but am scared to ruin the knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom