My New Toys!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clutch

Washing Up
They finally came! It was actually a quick delivery, only two days!

Well, here are my new toys, my Sushi/Sashimi knife and chopstick set!

I just gotta go to the market this weekend and get a bamboo rolling mat for the sushi set to be complete!

I tried to take a picture of the blades to show the symbols, but my camera refused to stop flashing everything. Maybe I should buy it a trenchcoat.

Attachments

• My New Toys!.jpg
    My New Toys!.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 239
36 views and not one comment? Not even on my lame joke?

Awww, Shucks!

Well, I think they are cool and I'm gonna make an awesome sushi & sashimi platter this weekend with them! (It's gonna be a mess cause I have never made sushi or sashimi before.)

Purdy knives.

How much was the kit, if you don't mind me asking.

As for the joke...I drink a bottle of windex before doing things naked, it prevents me from streaking.

TATTRAT said:
Purdy knives.

How much was the kit, if you don't mind me asking.

As for the joke...I drink a bottle of windex before doing things naked, it prevents me from streaking.

That made my day!

Here's the link: Overstock.com: Stainless Steel 3-knife Sushi Set with Carrying Case : Kitchen Supplies

Check it out, not a bad deal at all and I got the 2.95 shipping thing. Had I waited one day I could have gotten dollar shipping, but, like I have always said, when I need to watch my money that badly, it's time for a new job. :rolleyes: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :-p

Well good luck with making your first sushi, i'd recommend trying with tinned tuna first since its cheap compared to when your playing with sushi grade fish.

mudbug said:
Nice rack, Clutch! (I've always wanted to say that to a guy......)

Yeah, if I don't start going to the gym (again) I'm gonna need to buy myself a bro! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

By tinned you mean canned, like on the shelves in the grocery store? Isn't that stuff cooked?

I figured for the sashimi I would cut out little fish shapes (about 1 - 1 1/2 inch) in the fillet(s) and make a little "scene" on whatever platter I use. Than, use the rest to make the sushi. I wanna incorperate some art into the presentation of this dish. Show it's more than a quick throw together meal (even though sushi isn't).

I'm prolly gonna use the wasabi to make a "reef" on the plate, cut different size/shape fish and a few starfish, incorperate some chopped cukes as seaweed. Real-life art is a small challenge to me. I'm more of an abstract/surreal type of artist.

I'm also gonna have her be a part of making it. That's most important to me. Sharing the memory of making a wonderful Valentines meal together.

What do y'all think of the presentation plan?

Yes canned (thought that was quite funny no one says canned its all tinned food here in australia), it is cooked but if you buy tuna chunks it can be a great way to practise your rolling just make sure you drain the tuna well. As for presntation sounds good, love to see the little fish you cut out.

Ahh, never got to it. Didn't think it too far thru. I'm not sure where the nearest fresh fish market is (and I live near the water :ermm: ).

I did make one heck of a stir fry. My GF's mom has a flat bottom wok and I used it to cook. I put water chestnuts, small baby carrots, baby corn, brocolli(sp), snap peas (which weren't all that good, IMO), and about 1.15 pounds of beef sirloin tips. I was great. I got pork tenderloin in the freezer I need to find something to do with.

As far as the sushi goes, we picked some up at the store. The soy sauce was the most salty thing I have ever tasted and I'm one who likes salty foods and I think it may have been the nori, but there was something I didn't like the taste of. I loved the sashimi when we got some late time. My GF was looking out for my wallet and said, it's cheaper to just go out and buy it than make it at home.

Soy sauce salty no never, it varys from brands well i can't say if it was the nori or not its not useally salty but who knows maybe next time don't add the soy sauce or use your own if at home. As for price over here in Australia both are expensive except with one you don't have to do any except enjoy :).

I just re-read my post, I need to work on some punctuation. LOL!

The soy sauce was very salty. As for the sushi itself, there was something that seemed to have a weird taste. It may have been the fish being it's one of those pre-packaged deals and who knows how fresh the fish was. The nori definatly seemed to have a distinct taste, but I understand there are many grades of nori.

I'm gonna try it again, but at the good sushi/sashimi resturant near us.

I'm not gonna make an assumtion on how much or little I like it without trying the good stuff. We all know, no matter what you get, if it's pre-packaged, it sucks! LOL!

Clutch said:
We all know, no matter what you get, if it's pre-packaged, it sucks! LOL!
Exactly. Judging sushi by eating the pre-packaged stuff is like judging hamburgers by going to McDonalds. They might be good for what they are, but they are not the true measure of what those foods are.

The fish itself had a pungent smell. I know tuna normally has a strong fishy odor to it, but this was a little more than what I remember from the sashimi tuna we had at my GF's Bday and the salmon did not taste well either. The wasabi kicked some serious taste buds tho! WOOHOO!!!! I put some, about the size of my pinky nail on a sushi roll about the width of a quarter and about an inch tall. It fell off and was the first thing to hit my tongue and it got squished under the sushi and spread all over my tongue. I must admit, it hit me a little harder than I expected, but I liked it. He-he-he!

I bought one of those squeeze bottles of wasabi paste and they put entirely too much vinagar in it. it had no bite at all and I was very disappointed.

Clutch said:
I know tuna normally has a strong fishy odor to it
This is only true if the tuna has gone bad. Tuna is one of the freshest cleanest smelling fish there is. Tuna should not have a strong fishy odor at all.

go for it! do not start with canned fish...maybe some smoked salmon or tuna (cheaper to start with, but very fine taste) and when you learn to deal with eel, let me know...I love the stuff!

Robo410 said:
go for it! do not start with canned fish...maybe some smoked salmon or tuna (cheaper to start with, but very fine taste) and when you learn to deal with eel, let me know...I love the stuff!

Yeah, screw eel and squid and octopus and muscles too! :sick:

An inexpensive way to practice is vegie rolls. And use your new knives to practice your cuts..

You might try the low sodium soy sauce. It is much better. You can taste the flavor without too much salt. Still salty though.

Back
Top Bottom