Nakiri Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAlfheim

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a Nakiri knife, and I was hoping some of the helpful people here could make a recommendation (or two).

I already have a decent collection of knives, so I'm not trying to fill a need. This is definitely a want. A second opinion from people who share my "passion" (obsession?) for knives always helps...

My initial research has helped to narrow my preferences, which are;
- I dont want a western handle. Straight timber, traditional Japanese looks good to me
- I dont want a light coloured wooden handle - I prefer the darker handles
- I would like the Nakiri blade edge to be straight or relatively straight (some have quite a curve)
- I'm not too fussed on the (Japanese) steel involved, provided it's of good quality. I havent owned a carbon knife, but I'm not ruling it out
- If there's a blade length choice, I would prefer a longer blade (I tend to use 8 - 10 inch knives, and I've seen that Nakiri style blades tend to be smaller)
- Budget is open (but not crazy) :)

So far I've been looking at https://japanesechefsknife.com/ and https://carbonknifeco.com/ as well as general online kitchenware stores (who tend to carry the main brands, like Shun)

Thanks!

It doesn't matter what brand or style knife. If it doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, it is a waste of money. That means you have to handle it before you buy it.

It doesn't matter what brand or style knife. If it doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, it is a waste of money. That means you have to handle it before you buy it.

It and it is not completely true. I both two Nakiri knives a while ago. They both fit the same, but one is cheap garbage (not in price) and the other is excellent tool. I'm sorry I cannot remember where I got it and cannot recommend it to original poster.

I was going to edit my post, but I guess I ran out of time. I hate that. Why does it have to be time limited?

Anyway I was going to change my post to this one:
It is and it is not completely true. I bought two Nakiri knives a while ago. They both fit the same, but one is cheap garbage (not in price) and the other is excellent tool. I'm sorry I cannot remember where I got it and cannot recommend it to original poster.

I do have one more that I bought from Restaurant Depot, but it is not available online. Maybe TA, you have RD close by, check it out. It was pretty inexpensive. Unlike my other 2 knives, that were around 120 give or take (but that was like 10 + years ago), this one was only $30 or close to it. Honestly though, I rarely use it.

Last edited:
It and it is not completely true. I both two Nakiri knives a while ago. They both fit the same, but one is cheap garbage (not in price) and the other is excellent tool. I'm sorry I cannot remember where I got it and cannot recommend it to original poster.

If I'm going to spend a couple hundred dollars, more or less, on a chef's knife, I certainly won't buy it without knowing if it feels right in my hand. That includes any knife for that matter.:D

Didn't see your other post. BTW, you have to own a business or have access to a business's resale certificate to be able to purchase at RD. We recently scored some Parmigiano Reggiano at RD that was miss labeled as Grana Padano for around $5.60 per pound. Had to by an 11 pound part of a wheel. The rind was embossed with PR.

Last edited:
I do not believe that you have to be a business owner.

As far as knife, yes, handle is very important. But with Japanese knives, at least the traditional ones, there is a certain expectation to what handle is going to be like. The newer ones are, I think, starting to cater to the market and add some fancy handles to compete with European knives.

I agree that it'd be best to hold the knife first, but I'm resigned to the fact that unless I go a mainstream knife (eg: Shun), I wont get the opportunity. I've bought overseas knives before, and havent had an issue with my (somewhat) educated guesses.

Any suggestions on where else I could look online?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom