Need some suggestions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLaude

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a 8" chef's knife and a 4" paring knife. I have always been fond of the Stainless look of knives. Can anyone toss some suggestions at me of knives that are completely stainless (handle and blade, yes)?

I've been doing some research, but would like to hear some opinions for you knowledgeable folks :)

Thanks!

Hi Tyler. Welcome to DC.

I suggest you focus on the comfort and performance of knives over their appearance. We guys love shiny metal things but an all SS knife may not be your best choice.

Since you've been reading our knife forum, you've seen good chef's and paring knives recommended in every price range. You should look at some of those and check them out for balance, and feel in your hand. You may decide on two different brands for the two knives you're looking for.

I get my 'shiny metal' fix via SS cookware.

Andy,

Thanks for the info. I've always had the fascination with SS cookware and appliances. They look awsome! haha.

Anywho, I'm thinking I will be writing down some of the top suggested knives and go check out my local cookware store and see what they got!

I think you've focused on the two most-used knives in the kitchen. The only other one to consider is a bread knife. But that depends on whether you actually slice bread by hand.

At the moment, I do not slice my own bread. I buy it sliced from the store. Once I get my self settled down a bit, I plan on making my own bread, which will prompt me a reason to buy a bread knife!

I enjoy a Chroma Type 301 knife that has a SS handle that blends seamlessly with the blade. I prefer the 10 inch chef's knife. But my son (the professional cook) prefers the 8 inch chef's knife. Here's a site where you can look at what Chroma produces. If you want the SS handle and blade, click on the 301 line. They also make more traditional Japanese knives as well.

CHROMA Cutlery

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Would anyone be able to help me out with like a "top 10" list of the most suggested knives for a beginner?

I'm not one who goes and buy's cheap stuff, but I don't want to drop a paycheck to buy 2 knives! haha.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Would anyone be able to help me out with like a "top 10" list of the most suggested knives for a beginner?

I'm not one who goes and buy's cheap stuff, but I don't want to drop a paycheck to buy 2 knives! haha.

Thanks!

I hate to tell you this, but you can spend two paychecks on one knife. And I'm not kidding.

Of course, it all depends on you. My suggestion is to go to a store that sells good kitchen cutlery, and try a few on for fit. Some people like the heavier German steel knives, like Henckle, or Whusthoff Trident. Others like the French brands such as Sabatier, or even Kitchen Aid. And there are many who swear by the Japanese steel knives. I've even known a few who go to specialty American metal smiths and get custom made knives.

Your knife becomes your personal tool. No one can tell you what the best knives are.

Some good knife brands include:
Whusthoff Trident
Heckle
Sabtiere
Global
Chroma
Boker
Kyocera (ceramic knives)
Shun
Haiku
And there are other more knowledgeable people around here that really know their Japanese steel. Again, I am more than satisfied with my Chroma. I've used the same chef's knife daily for 6 years now and it's still as good as the day I opened the box (a Christmas present from my wife).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

These may not be SS but may give you a look you may like.

Tojiro Flash 8.25-in. Chef's Knife - Tojiro Chef's Knives

Tojiro Flash 4-in. Paring Knife - Tojiro Paring Knives

I have the Nakiri and love it!

Those are both stainless. The "damascus" cladding is a soft stainless rolled onto V-Gold 10 under tremendous pressure. VG-10 is also stainless, one of the more common entry level "super steels" from Japan. The Flash is okay but not really any better than the slightly cheaper DP line, also from Tojiro.

I'm looking for a 8" chef's knife and a 4" paring knife. I have always been fond of the Stainless look of knives. Can anyone toss some suggestions at me of knives that are completely stainless (handle and blade, yes)?

I've been doing some research, but would like to hear some opinions for you knowledgeable folks :)

Thanks!

You can go that route, but I think you'll regret it. Like marrying a girl you only liked for her looks, a lifetime lived with a decision made only on appearances may disappoint you. Steel handles feel cold to the touch and are generally slippery when they get even a bit damp. Most of the steel handled knives I've experienced aren't all that eronomically well designed. The Chromas are pretty but the handles are too spindly for long cutting sessions. The Globals offer a bit better grip with the dimples but still fall short of a good wood or Micarta handle, IMOHO.

If you simply must have all-stainless, I suggest you look into the Shun Steel line. They might be phasing them out, I don't know- a few dealers have been clearancing them lately. They're pretty good knives for what they are and mimic the feel of the Pakkawood handles of the Classic line.

Thanks Rob.

How would you classify the Wustof line? I've read on here that they aren't exactly top of the line, but are pretty good knives.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.;):ROFLMAO: I'm a well known J-knife snob, and I don't have a lot of use for Germans. There's really nothing wrong with them per se, but typically Wusthof/Henckels/Messermiester knives are much softer than Japanese knives and generally have much thicker edges (although the Messermeister Meridian Elite is ground at the same angle as a Shun). Consequently, you can't get 'em as sharp as a Japanese knife nor will they hold an edge as long. That said, they're a great compromise for your Joe-and-Jane-Sixpack types that aren't obsessive compulsive about knives.:LOL: First off, Germans are a bit easier to sharpen and pretty forgiving of abuse vs a J-knife.

My opinion? Messermeister makes the best mass produced German knives. Wusthof and the top Henckels lines are also pretty decent. None are a waste of money but an inexpensive Japanese knife like a Tojiro DP will give you better pure cutting performance.

Agree with Rob about the steel handles looking better than they perform.

German knives also have a blade geometry designed to make them easier to use.
I like the F Dick premium ranges and Solicut as being up with Messermeister and above Wusthof and Henckels in my personal pecking order.

For pure cutting efficiency carbon steel leaves stainless for dead. Anytime you introduce chrome to a steel blend you increase the size of crystals which reduces edge efficiency.

I've been through the gamut, and spent a fortune on knives. Now, my collection is skimpier and has no "standard" brand. My principal knives are a 10" Sab chef's, and a 4" Wusthof paring knife. I do 80% of my work with these two tools. I've got drawers full of Henkels, Wusthofs, Global, Kershaws, Sanellis, et al. If I had a brain in my head, I would have tried before I bought. But I just couldn't resist owning every expensive knife I saw. Mental illness. I have about 8 Santokus. Hate every one of them. Want one?

A knife is a personal thing. It has to fit, and do what you need it to do. Just because you like a Sab for a chef knife doesn't mean that same brand will do for a parer. It's a personal thing. Try them all and pick what fits, not what you want to fit.

I use vintage stainless knives, incidentally. I find most modern stainless to be too hard to get razor sharp, and I'm too lazy to be 100% reliable in taking special care of carbon steel. I ruined one very special Chicago Cutlery 12" vintage chef knife by not taking care of it one dark night, leaving it on the counter after being distracted and forgetting about it. Not good.

Last edited:
I agree that the feel of the knife is more important than is the brand. Of the Chef knives I've used, I still love my Chroma with the steel handle. And yes, I've used it for long hours of cutting chores, with wet and slippery hands. Because of the unique handle shape, I was better able to control the knife, using the pinch grip, than with the more traditionally shaped wooden handle of the same size Wusthoff Trident chef's knife. The traditional shape handle tended to slide around in my slippery hands, making it hard to use. And I too detest santoku knives. I rarely chop. I slice. And when I do have to chop, I do so with the Chef's knife. I also have three Chicago Cutlery knives with hollow ground blades. The utility knife of that set is the most useful. I have a couple of long fillet knives that handle most boning chores, and one no-name carbon steel butcher's knife inherited from my grandfather that slices meet like no other. My chef's knife cuts bread perfectly. So, like the others have said, try before you buy, if at all possible. Then you will find the knives that are right for you.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom