New Knife Set?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunbubbles

Assistant Cook
Im shopping for a new Knife set, and I need some help. Im currently still using the set they gave us in culinary arts school and they work fine (albeit a little dull) but Id really like an all-purpose, durable (sharp duh! :LOL:) knife set. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced, good set to pump up my collection??
TIA!

Could you sharpen the set you have?

Check out our knife forum. There are numerous discussions about kitchen knives.

The key is to select knives that are comfortable in your hand. Also, you probably already realize you really only use 3 or 4 knives regularly. Perhaps you don't need a whole set.

Could you sharpen the set you have?

Check out our knife forum. There are numerous discussions about kitchen knives.

The key is to select knives that are comfortable in your hand. Also, you probably already realize you really only use 3 or 4 knives regularly. Perhaps you don't need a whole set.

Thats true, and I have little wrists and hands, so I know I dont need to be playin around with any "machete" lookin knives. lol

I've always loved Calphalon and they fit well in my hand. Cooking is just a hobby for me though, so I'm not an expert. :)

I don't get this "fits well in the hand" stuff. The only handles I've so much as noticed are cracked, broken, swollen, shrunken, or Shun Alton's Angles. When I use a proper pinch grip (for control) it doesn't make any difference.

I don't get this "fits well in the hand" stuff. The only handles I've so much as noticed are cracked, broken, swollen, shrunken, or Shun Alton's Angles. When I use a proper pinch grip (for control) it doesn't make any difference.
Not everyone uses the pinch grip though. Most people do not use the pinch grip so fitting in their hand is quite important.

Back when I used to make knives I used to make handles purposly biger than normal. I just like fat handle. Some women with small hands would definitely not like that.

Back when I used to make knives I used to make handles purposly biger than normal. I just like fat handle. Some women with small hands would definitely not like that.

lol my dad has some knives, that when I try to use them I feel like Im chopping with a block of wood! Very uncomfortable! But he Loves them!:wacko:

What's your point relative to GB's post?

The point is; if a person has solid knife skills, including a pinch grip, the ill conceived and worn expression "feels good in the hand" becomes meaningless. Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose. Does anyone purchase an automobile because they like the door handles?

The point is; if a person has solid knife skills, including a pinch grip, the ill conceived and worn expression "feels good in the hand" becomes meaningless. Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose. Does anyone purchase an automobile because they like the door handles?

Your opening statement invalidates your point. Most people don't have solid knife skills.

Your car analogy aside, would you wear top quality boots that are three sizes too small over a lower quality boot that fits comfortably on your feet?

Your opening statement invalidates your point. Most people don't have solid knife skills.

Your car analogy aside, would you wear top quality boots that are three sizes too small over a lower quality boot that fits comfortably on your feet?

If a tool isn't comfortable to use, you will tend to not use it. Especially if you have a comfortable version of the same tool on hand.

Using a pinch grip negates 90% of handle size concerns. Using a pinch grip yields better control of the blade, thus, cleaner, more precise cuts, and a lot less chance of injuring yourself. I consider these very important.

Using a pinch grip negates 90% of handle size concerns. Using a pinch grip yields better control of the blade, thus, cleaner, more precise cuts, and a lot less chance of injuring yourself. I consider these very important.
While this may be true, it does not mean that it is also not important for a knife to fit someones hand properly who does not use the pinch grip.

The pinch grip, while it is used by most professionals, is not the only correct way to hold a knife. And even if it were, that does not mean that is how everyone will hold it. The vast majority of people who use kitchen knives do not use a pinch grip therefore it is of the utmost importance that their knives fit well in their hands. it really does not matter if what they are doing is right or wrong. They are doing it nonetheless.

To your question of if anyone purchases a car because of the door handles, the answer is yes. It may not be how you would shop for a car and it certainly is not how I would shop for a car, but there are people who would and do shop like that. And that does not make what they are doing any less valid than what you or I would do.

Last edited:
Knives are about cutting ability and the right knife for the job. Knives are about steel, geometry, and the proper edge for the purpose.

it really does not matter if what they are doing is right or wrong. They are doing it nonetheless.

What?

but there are people who would and do shop like that. And that does not make what they are doing any less valid than what you or I would do.

Really. :LOL:

It seems like you view things as either your way or wrong. That is not the case though. Just because someone does not choose to do things the buzz way does not mean that it is any less valid. This conversation started because you did not understand why anyone would need the knife to fit their hand because if they used the pinch grip it would not matter. But not everyone does use the pinch grip so it does matter to those people. And those people are not wrong from not using the pinch grip.

Sorry, but just because you view it as a better way does not mean it is better for everyone. It may be better for you, but that does not automatically mean it is better for the next person.

In any event, we have strayed way too far from the OP's question which has nothing to do with what grip to use so I would like to suggest that we get back on track.

Sunbubbles, do you like the knives you have now other than needing them to be sharpened? Why not sharpen them up and keep using them? If you are no longer happy with them then I would go with Andy's suggestion and buy one or two knives instead of getting a set where you probably won't use many of the knives.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty surprised is a culinary arts student is being taught to use the pinch grip, fwiw!;) Even so, I use a knife with a pinch grip yet I still do care about the handles.

Back
Top Bottom