Next knife purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, DrT88. My pictures came out a bit too dark, should've used a different setting on my camera (I hadn't used it in awhile, forgot which ones work best).

Congratulations Rob. I've been looking at the KFs since the first time around but never quite pulled the trigger. Right now I'm saving my allowance for a G3 IPhone when they come out. For anyone who is interested in purchasing or merely viewing several very nice pictures of the Hattori Forums this is the place to go.

Luckily I skated in under the wire and got it on sale- saved around $45 IIRC. I like the knife quite a bit but haven't used it much yet.

It will take a lot of pennies!:ROFLMAO: Hattori hasn't said anything official about pricing, but we can safely assume the C-X versions will be double the cost of the V-Gold 10 versions. That's a lot of scratch. But then again, you could also look at them as funtionally equivalent to the KD line which costs a lot more; the KD santoku is around $800, the largest gyuto about $1200.:ohmy:

You dudes sure want to spend some coin. I'd love to have a Hattori Cowry-X 270mm Gyuto but I don't need the edge to last like a pro does. I do have a couple powders though, a Shun Elite 4.5" in SG2 and my EDC Kershaw Leek in ZDP-189. They get as sharp as Hitachi white steel and hold an edge forever. Unfortunately that Hattori dream of mine is gonna be too much mullah. People like me who are both home cooks and are into ultimate sharpening are better off with white, blue, and expecially Swedish steels.

The edge on the Tojiro DPs "might" be Sandvik 13C26. The factory isn't talking and Korin.com told me that they honestly don't know. I have a DP 270 Sujihiki and I wouldn't trade it for anything - except maybe a 300. 13C26 and it's Swedish cousin AEB-L is the perfect home steel; stainless, ease of sharpening, and teeny carbides for a sharper than razor edge if you care to do that sort of thing. I do. Okay Buzz, enough rambling....

Sure thing. Anything made of Cowry-X is bound to be priced like hand-forged mithril.

With maybe a smidge of Admantium added for toughness and edge retention!:ROFLMAO:

Well, Buzz- it's not really that I want to blow money...more that I just really lust after a Forum Knive in C-X.:wacko: I love the feel of the 240mm Gyuto and it handles like a dream. Yet even on sale ($225 shipped) I can't help but feel it's a tad overpriced for V-Gold 10. It's a great knife but subjectively not really superior to my Shun Classic that cost $100 less. Take that with a grain of salt; I haven't used the Hattori enough to have a firm opinion. It would be interesting to compare the Hattori to a Shun Elite, too. The former has great ergonomics and flawless finish, but the latter is Powered Metullury and 65 Rockwell, for slightly less money.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Forum Hattori. So much in fact that I can't wait to see it rendered in CowryX!

The edge on the Tojiro DPs "might" be Sandvik 13C26. The factory isn't talking and Korin.com told me that they honestly don't know. I have a DP 270 Sujihiki and I wouldn't trade it for anything - except maybe a 300. 13C26 and it's Swedish cousin AEB-L is the perfect home steel; stainless, ease of sharpening, and teeny carbides for a sharper than razor edge if you care to do that sort of thing. I do. Okay Buzz, enough rambling....

Yeah, I could definately see a 300mm Suji in my future, perhaps to replace/supplement my 12" granton-edged Fibrox slicer. I love Tojiro, great stuff for the $. And I'm really interested in the DP Damasus knives although not many places have 'em.

Back
Top Bottom