Next time I'm traveling with my knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Each year, at the end of the summer, we rent a condo in Vermont to get away from it all. Its not an all inclusive vacation, so we do our own cooking ( which doesnt bother me at all because I love to cook. But, the problem is the kitchen is fully stocked with the basics.
I never realized how important my knives were to me, until I tried to cut up a potato with the crappy knife provided. I always heard that a cheap knife was more dangerous than a sharp expensive knife. Having my share of incidents with sharp expensive knives, I took this info with a grain of salt. But after this experience, I would have been more successful sharpening a stone , like the Indians, and trying to cook with that. First off, it wasnt sharp at all, so I had to use excessive pressure just to cut through the potato. With all this excessive pressure, the knife blade would actually flex, causing my cuts to be inconsistent and embarrassingly as if it were cut by a child ( inconsistent in size, shape, thickness). Im surprised I didnt cause injury to myself attempting to cut through the potato. Finally, the handle of the knife was like one of those things that were made to fit everyones hand but actually fit no ones hand, causing me to develop blisters.
Anyway, this is just me venting. My knives arent the greatest in the world, but they definitely allow me to appreciate the good from the bad and ugly. Also, I dont expect someone who is renting out their condo to provide exceptional cookware ( although, I know Jacques Pepin rents out his condo in Mexico, and Id be curious to see what that kitchen is like). With all this said, next year my knives are making the trip with me !! Anytime I go to my moms, and she expects me to help out with the cooking, I always bring my knives. Does anyone else travel with their knives when they know they will be doing some cooking elsewhere ???

We have a time share in Aruba for two weeks in the winter. I learned very quickly I needed to take knives with me. I carry an 8" chef's knife, 6" utility knife and a steel. I also carry a corkscrew, vegetable peeler and a flame tamer because the pans are very thin.

I only wish I could bring a few pots and pans along as well. I just plan meals according to what I have for cookware and utensils.

I ALWAYS travel with my knives if I am planning to do any cooking at all. I even took them with me to France when I took my course there, even though I knew we would be at Le Cordon Bleu and that we were only cooking one day out of 14. (I was the only one who brought my knives across the Atlantic, and several others who hadn't looked at me jealously!)

I don't take knives to my sister's house, because I gave her a chef's knife so I could use it when I'm there. (She uses a Santoku.)

If you are flying with your knives, though, remember that you HAVE to pack them in your checked luggage. We used to be able to stash them in the pilot's cockpit, but since 9/11 you can't get through security with them.

Knives

I've got a tote bag that's outfitted with things to take on any time share vacation. None of the timeshare units are outfitted exactly the same, sometimes, there are no hot pads, and often the pans are only workable. So, I often tote 3 knives, some hot pads, extra spatulas. I've never flown with my knives, but that would be a great temptation. My tote bag gets crammed into the car if we're driving and at least I have a a few of my useful, favorite tools.

Best,

pennsy

We have a time share and use it all over the place. It is always the same. They have everything you need to cook with is there, but the quality is pretty poor. The knives are always the worst item. I always travel with at least my chefs knife when I go to the time shares or anywhere else that has a kitchen that I might possibly be using. I have these for all my knives so I can jus throw them in my luggage without fear.

Unfortunately I do not travel a lot, but if i do my 8" chef knive comes with me. Well, actually I keep one specially in suite case.

I have both a knife roll and a travel chef kit (s and p grinders, rubber spatula, measures, thermometer, wooden utensils...it's amazing what people don't have) which go with me everywhere. I may not use it, but I have it if I need it.

Why not just carry a good but cheap sharpener? Even a cheap knife can be alright just sharpened. I would just hate to lose my good knives.

The knives that were available to me were so cheap, even a sharpener wouldnt have helped Aside from the dullness, the metal used was so flimsy, it would flex as i was cutting anything hard , like a potato, carrot...It was impossible to keep a straight cut. I was in fear of cutting my fingers . This knife had a mind of its own.

I always wind up cooking when I go to visit my parents. It never occurs to me to travel with my knife, until I get there and am stuck trying to do something with my parents' terrible selection of dull knives. Another place that drives me crazy is a local friend's house. I don't cook there, only help to present the meal or get my contribution last-minute ready. But she, although she is a great cook, doesn't have one single knife worthy of the name.

And, yes, a dull knife is much more dangerous than a good, sharp one. One day my mother was separating frozen sausages using one of her kitchen knives (this was in the 60s). It slipped and almost severed one of her fingers. The medics and doctor got her stitched back together. They gave her the usual bromides about not using a knife for that purpose (remember, this was before microwaves), but then said, "If you're going to slice your finger off, please use a sharper knife the next time, it'll make it easier to re-attach it."

Oh, yeah, the last time I looked, she still didn't have a decent knife in the house, even though her newest grand-son-in-law sells the ****ed stuff. She's an old-fashioned cook who does all her slicing in her hands (some of you know what I mean), so the short knives (what we would call either paring or utility knives) are sharp enough. But anything larger than a steak knife is ..... unusable.

And, yes, a dull knife is much more dangerous than a good, sharp one.
I actually do not agree with this statement. I do not think one is more dangerous than the other. It is true that with a dull knife you have less control and need to force the knife more which can lead to more accidents, but if you accidentally graze your finger with a dull knife there is a decent chance you will not cut yourself. If you do the same with one of my knives (which I keep extremely sharp) you have a good change of needing to go to the ER. A slip with a dull knife might not cut far enough to require more than a band-aid while a slip with a sharp knife make be deep enough to require stitches.

I actually do not agree with this statement. I do not think one is more dangerous than the other. It is true that with a dull knife you have less control and need to force the knife more which can lead to more accidents, but if you accidentally graze your finger with a dull knife there is a decent chance you will not cut yourself. If you do the same with one of my knives (which I keep extremely sharp) you have a good change of needing to go to the ER. A slip with a dull knife might not cut far enough to require more than a band-aid while a slip with a sharp knife make be deep enough to require stitches.

I agree.

Carelessness is why people cut themselves. As a knife gets duller, your brain automatically adjusts to the change and adjusts to the pressure needed to cut properly. Just as it does when you have your dull knives sharpened.

Back
Top Bottom