Please help save this Special Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

valbeck

Assistant Cook
While observing and trying my skills in the kitchen at Lucas Carton, then a Michelilin 3 star restaurant in Paris, I was befriended by the Chef de bouf. I think he took pity on me for my tenacity and my absymal knife skills which I heretofore had deemed excellent. :(

Anyway, he taught me much about the pleasure of cutting your own meat and then he took me to the store where the local chefs bought their knives. He insisted I buy the knife in question. A Carbon Steel with a 12 inch blade 2 1/2 in. wide and weighing in at 1 1/2 lbs. Its a great knife for cutting up meat and poultry but... it has some rust on the blade. Its 10 yr. old and this is a first.
I used barkeepers friend and elbow grease but now I want to protect the blade.

can you advise?
Thanks,
a humbled cook
I don't want to use gun oil and think veg oil will frement

This is what you want -- Camellia Oil: "Description: For centuries, camellia oil has been used to protect the finest Samurai swords. A small amount applied to your carbon steel knives will keep them free of corrosion and rust. Camellia oil is non-toxic and non-allergenic. Spray bottle."

The Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives

12_1_b.jpg

If you don't want to oil the blade, just make sure you clean it well and DRY IT WELL
after each use.
I have found that a Scotch Heavy Duty green sponge/scrubber is a perfect cleaning
tool. The scrubber will remove the rust and discoloration quite well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom