Possible bargain!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
I recently ordered this Kanetsune 210mm gyuto. The price SMKW offers is roughly half the best price I've ever seen on this knife!:ninja: The few initial reports indicate this knife is pretty darned close to a Shun for right around 1/2 the money- if this is so we're talking a bargain!

For the price you get V-Gold 10 steel clad with 33 layers of Stainless Damascus steel. They claim the hagane is Rockwell C 60+. I purchased the 210mm for $60 with free shipping!

I'll keep you posted!;)

Looks very good. Might be time to invest in those DMT bench hones I've been wanting to round out the order...for the good of the economy, I mean.

wow great find!

I might actually go for the santoku... ive got a shun 10" chef's and It's lonely :'(

are those sale prices or is there no rush?

Last edited:
There's an aphorism about hot iron and timely striking that seems entirely relevant to this. I think I might have to act on that maxim...

The UPS guy just brought my Kanetsune gyuto a few minutes ago!:) My first impressions are good; it's reasonably well made, decent fit'n'finish. It's definately quite sharp out the box (not quite Shun/Tojiro sharp, perhaps, but not far from it). The edge isn't as smooth and refined as some, but to be fair sometimes Hattoris that aren't much better/sharper otb. The handle is on the smaller side of what you normally see on a 210mm gyuto but not too small to get a good hold of, especially with a pinch-grip.

If I have time I'll take some pictures tonight. I might toss it in my knife case and try it out at work this afternoon.

BTW, it's got a pretty slender blade, very little belly- more French than German, for sure. The Damascus pattern is subtle. I haven't cut much with it yet but I'd say it's a bit "upscale" in feel vs a Tojiro. V-Gold 10 at this price is a bonus. Overall I'm pretty pleased at the price.

Here's a picture I cribbed from a KF member. Mine looks just like this but he's a better photographer than me!:ROFLMAO:

kanetsunegyutoko4.jpg

A few comments after using for one night at work: overall a very good knife. The edge is very sharp in usable terms, probably as good as my Tojiros. Fit & finish is pretty good but not perfect- you can't see it, but you can feel that the scales & tang aren't sanded to meet perfectly in a few spots. And the contouring of the handle isn't perfectly symetrical in a couple spots that I think it was supposed to be. But those are minor nits. On a working knife I can't imagine anyone would mind.

For $60 with free shipping it's a can't-miss deal. I can't think of any other 210mm V-Gold 10 chef/gyuto you can get for much under $100.

Last edited:
Well, I've used it on the line for a couple days, plus let one of the few cooks I trust with a knife use it a bit. Overall I'm very favorably impressed. It's pretty sharp OOTB; that's to say it's about as sharp as most other low-to-mid-priced Japanese knives. It's pretty thin, too, although you'd expect that with a 210mm blade. Fit and finish is okay, about on the level of a Tojiro. Although you can't see it, mine has some spots on the handle where the scales and tang aren't ground perfectly flush. You can feel it, but I don't find it bothersome. And the contours of the handle are a bit nonsymetrical; again, not enough to notice unless you're looking for it.

Now again, I'm talking about a $60 knife. If I'd paid the $115 or so it's sold at on other sites I'd probably be a little upset. F'n'F is nowhere near that of a Shun, and if I paid a Shun price tag it'd be going back already!

Bladewise, though, it seems to be pretty comparable to any of the $100 or less knives. My initial feeling is that it's not far from Shun quaility. The edge isn't perfectly ground (or it may be more asymetrical than I think) but it's very sharp.

I let one of the cooks slice some tomatoes with it and he was very, very impressed. He's no knifegeek but I've let him use my Tojiros to prep in the past, so he knows "Japanese sharp," or at least he's in the ballpark (my Tojo is obviously no Murray Carter or Hattori KD!).

Summary: I think it's a great deal at the price. If the "sale" is still going when I get paid again I'll probably get another one, maybe two. I'd like to try the 240mm and maybe get another 210mm for my brother. I wouldn't mind trying the petty, although there are other good pettys for about the same general price; plus, I don't use a petty all that much.

To anyone on the fence, I say go for it. A very good knife for the price, and a great option for someone shopping for their first Japanese knife.:)

I got my 240mm yesterday. It is a nice knife. Its handle is not as comfortable as my Frosts chefs knife, but it handles nicely. The construction is solid. There's also a little unevenness between the scales and the tang on mine, but it's barely enough to hang a thumbnail on. Good out of the box sharpness. I see no machine marks anywhere on the bevel (or anywhere else for that matter).

Great find and could be an excellent choice for a first good knife!

Last edited:
Glad you like it, DrT. The handle has a few minor F'n'F issues, but whaddabout that blade? Very nice! Good OOB sharpness.

Tell me, is your differentially bevelled? That is to say, ground at different angles on each side?

If they're still on sale when I get paid again I'll probably pick up another one or two.

After using the Kanetsune for about a week I switched to the Tojiro tonite to compare. An apples vs oranges test, though- the Tojo is 240mm and the Kanetsune is 210mm. They're both great knives but I find myself reminded how much more I like a larger gyuto. I think I'm gonna have to order the Kanetsune in the larger 240mm size, too.

Overall I'm pretty darned pleased with it, especially for $60. The Tojo feels a tad crude in comparison. I'm eager to try the larger size when I can.

Back
Top Bottom