Proper / Alternative Use Of Sashimi Knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef_william

Assistant Cook
Always been curious as to what the proper use of a sahimi knife is, as ive never came across this term before?

Also, other than its intended use, what else migt it be useful for? Ive heard suggestions they can be used as a large ham / fish slicer?

Any info? Will :chef:

Sashimi has to do with fish, and a sashimi knife I *think* is a one-sided blade used for cutting fish for sashimi and sushi. Japanese sushi and sashimi knives are one-sided because they leave a very very smooth surface on the side of the cut, which is an important textural element of good sushi.

They feel much different than your average chef's knife, and most are made of carbon steel, which must be treated differently than your average SS chef's knife. I do know a few cooks who prefer to use a one-sided blade for everyday tasks. I find it a little more awkward to use a one-sided blade for my everyday slicing/dicing, though that doesn't mean you can't use it like a regular knife. It seems that it's easier to keep an edge on a one-sided blade.

I have a ceramic sashimi knife, and I hardly ever use it. Part of it is just due to the fact that I'm terrified of ruining it (it's a $1200 knife). But part of it is also due to the fact that it's very limited in what it is supposed to do. As I am not a sushi afficianado, I don't find myself with much reason to even have it.

I have a ceramic sashimi knife, and I hardly ever use it. Part of it is just due to the fact that I'm terrified of ruining it (it's a $1200 knife). But part of it is also due to the fact that it's very limited in what it is supposed to do. As I am not a sushi afficianado, I don't find myself with much reason to even have it.
Sell it! I'm sure there is something you would rather have and then you could get it with the money. Stick a notice up here and you may get a nibble or two.:)

But part of it is also due to the fact that it's very limited in what it is supposed to do.
Don't buy into that. Just because it is a sashimi knife does not mean you can only use it for that. Use it as you would any other slicer (just be careful of bones). It would be great for roasts and things like that. Since it was a gift you should use it a ton. If it breaks you are not out $1200 you are just out a gift, but at least it was broken using it.

How frustrating! Get it mounted then as a kitchen ornament on the wall. Declutters your cupboards/drawers at least.

Already have it like that (sort of, it's in The Lady of the House's china cabinet). It came in a handcrafted mahogany box, so I have it presented as such.

What an odd gift!;) Even if I earned multiples of my current income I wouldn't give someone a $1200 knife that they wouldn't use. While a good knife is a good knife, Japanese knives are made for Japanese cooking. Several high end Japanese bladesmiths will say the same thing- use Western knives for Western cooking and Japanese knives for their intended purpose. Some Japanese styles look superficially similar to Western knives but perform very differently and often are subpar when used in that manner. Substitute a deba in place of a French knife for about 20 seconds and you'll see what I mean.:chef:

Well, it wasn't so much a "gift" as it was a "thank you" from a multi-billion dollar corporation that I did a favor for. I'd dig out the thread on the forums here that has the backstory and (IIRC) even has the picture of the knife in it, but it's 2 am and I don't feel like it.

Well, it wasn't so much a "gift" as it was a "thank you" from a multi-billion dollar corporation that I did a favor for. I'd dig out the thread on the forums here that has the backstory and (IIRC) even has the picture of the knife in it, but it's 2 am and I don't feel like it.

Okay, that's pretty cool!:) I also think I'd look for uses for a beautifu knive like that.

I used a yangiba to slice some cookie dough into apricot pinwheels this year. It seemed to work much better than my usual weapon of choice (ham slicer). Mind you, this knife cost me 1% of what Poppinfresh's costs, so I didn't mind trying it against chilled dough.

If it was a thank you from a corporation you did something for why do you care about selling it again?

Because I'm funny that way. I keep all my gifts, even if I never use them. There are things The Lady of the House has bought me for Christmas that have never even been taken out of their packaging and are over 3 years old :P.

Besides, unlikely as it is, there might come a day when I go on a sashimi kick. I tend to go through phases in styles of cooking I fall in love with. Might also come in handy if I ever find myself in another Hawai'ian fusion phase. It's unlikely on the sashimi front since neither of us in the house are particularly big on it, but one never knows--maybe we'll have company that wants it one day.

Why would you hold out just for sashimi? Do you only use a bread knife for bread? Do you only use a tomato knife for tomatoes? You can use this knife for things other than sashimi. You have a beautiful knife. Put it to use.

Back
Top Bottom