Pull thru knife sharpener recommendations again please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember as a child the man that walk through the neighborhoods with his knife sharping wheels on a contraption that looked like a modified wheelbarrow. (Yes, I am that old!) Well, about 25 years ago I came across one of those stones in the basement of the building where I lived. It was covered in cobwebs and ages of dust. I don't know why I took it and kept it all these years. But it fascinated me and brought back many memories of taking my mother's knives down to him for sharpening. "Don't Run" my mother would yell at me as I ran out the door with a fistful of knives!

When you hold it under the light, there are the tiniest sparkles in the stone. On the edge where the hole is that slid on the rod that held it, there is a small chip on the stone leaving a rough edge in that spot. The rest of it is really smooth. If I take my knife and run it across that chip a couple of times and then across the smoothness of the round part, I have knives as sharp as that old gentleman pushing his cart could make. I have had the three part electric knife sharpener. Spike now has it. I presently have two non motorized ones. They just sit in the drawer. I prefer my old stone.

Pirate has tried to lay claim to it when he gets his own apartment. I will hit him over the head with it first. He will just have to wait until I am gone. And I may just take it with me.

Query on Sausage/Sausages

As you probably know by now, I'm a "Food Network" addict. Various America cooks refer to "breakfast sausage".

Are "breakfast sausages" the sort that you/we fry and have with bacon and egg or as sausage and mash, and are made with pork (or sometimes beef), like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_sausages?

If you're offered bangers and mash in Britain the "bangers" are sausages. They got this name as, in times of shortage (such as during the two world wars) or with cheating sausage makers, a lot of water went into the mix and the sausages were incline to burst noisily - hence "bangers". They've kept to name even though sausages have improved in quality.

In the USA, breakfast sausages are a specific type of pork sausage primarily seasoned with sage.

Last edited:
It is sometimes called an "Arlington Sausage" in parts of this country also. They are rather small. About size of a rather large woman's middle finger. (No offset or colorful meaning implied!) I have an extremely small hand so I can't go by that. They are lightly seasoned. Even a child could eat them without a turned up nose.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news...etween-italian-sausage-and-breakfast-sausage/

Some cooks remove the casing and flatten them into patties. Or you can buy it in a roll and slice off frozen patties to fry.

Last edited:
How did we go from pull thru knife sharpeners to sausages? :huh:

I ended up buying a "Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener."
I like it, but I never use the coarser side as even the "fine" sharpening side tends to take off too much metal if you press too hard while pulling the blade thru. $27.00

41_HMQTKQAGL.jpg

I like it, but I never use the coarser side as even the "fine" sharpening side tends to take off too much metal if you press too hard while pulling the blade thru. $27.00

41_HMQTKQAGL.jpg
Well, it kind of looks like a sausage. :)

I've been using a Henckels pull through sharpener (just a single stage), but have never been happy with the results. A couple months back ATK offered their recommended electric knife sharpener (Chefs Choice Trizor) for $125 - $130, and I bit. I was startled by the results. I didn't realize just how lousy a job the pull through was doing. No regrets. I sharpened my daughter's knives and she had the same reaction. I figure that if I sharpen a half dozen knives once or twice a year, not to mention the convenience of doing it at home instead of having to take them in, it's a worthwhile investment.

Here's ATK's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yif_uMZ-y5k

With respect to all makers of manual and electric knife sharpeners, they all kinda fall short. This one talented guy had a knife sharpening table outside a World Market store. Mondays and Thursdays only. He was expert and used a tall belt sander type setup. He would expertly use one belt, then change the belt sander setup with a honing belt. He was good at it too. The store didn't mind, but the city demanded he not just hang out in front of the store, but get a full on city license. He went back to having his business in one central location and making trips to restaurants (appointments) and walk ins. I miss having my knives sharpened SHARP at that nearby supermarket. :(

Last edited:
I remember as a child the man that walk through the neighborhoods with his knife sharping wheels on a contraption that looked like a modified wheelbarrow. (Yes, I am that old!) Well, about 25 years ago I came across one of those stones in the basement of the building where I lived. It was covered in cobwebs and ages of dust. I don't know why I took it and kept it all these years. But it fascinated me and brought back many memories of taking my mother's knives down to him for sharpening. "Don't Run" my mother would yell at me as I ran out the door with a fistful of knives!

When you hold it under the light, there are the tiniest sparkles in the stone. On the edge where the hole is that slid on the rod that held it, there is a small chip on the stone leaving a rough edge in that spot. The rest of it is really smooth. If I take my knife and run it across that chip a couple of times and then across the smoothness of the round part, I have knives as sharp as that old gentleman pushing his cart could make. I have had the three part electric knife sharpener. Spike now has it. I presently have two non motorized ones. They just sit in the drawer. I prefer my old stone.

Pirate has tried to lay claim to it when he gets his own apartment. I will hit him over the head with it first. He will just have to wait until I am gone. And I may just take it with me.

You may want to do a quick google search of the term "Moleta". These are the guys who immigrated from Italy to the USA and had their knife sharpening business where they had these grinding wheel to sharpen people's knives.

41_HMQTKQAGL.jpg
Have you been using that for your thicker styled 20 degree blades? Never seen that model before.

With respect to all makers of manual and electric knife sharpeners, they all kinda fall short. This one talented guy had a knife sharpening table outside a World Market store. Mondays and Thursdays only. He was expert and used a tall belt sander type setup. He would expertly use one belt, then change the belt sander setup with a honing belt. He was good at it too. The store didn't mind, but the city demanded he not just hang out in front of the store, but get a full on city license. He went back to having his business in one central location and making trips to restaurants (appointments) and walk ins. I miss having my knives sharpened SHARP at that nearby supermarket. :(

If you're looking for an electric sharpener that makes use of a belt as an abrasive, you may want to check out the Ken Onion Work Sharp or even the electric knife and tool sharpener from Work Sharp. It's not like the staged traditional electric knife sharpeners that everyone is familiar with :)

Back
Top Bottom