Pull thru knife sharpener recommendations again please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I just bought 4 Wusthof Gourmet steak knives. I had been using the Edgemaker knife sharping set. The cheaper 4 Kitchenmaid steak knives that just got tossed ($20) I couldn't get the Edgemaker to remove large burrs. I couldn't put a new edge on them no matter how much time I spent. It's probably due to the cheap metal. It's almost like tiny chunks of steel were breaking off the knife edge. It was very obvious without even needing a magnifying glass.

I would have just gone ahead and bought a new set of 4 Kitchenmaid steak knives as mine were at least 6 years old, but they don't make them in 4 1/2" blades anymore and I don't like the longer cheapo Kitchenmaid steak knives.

My new Wusthof Gourmet set of 4 steak knives were $40 (everyone else wanted $59), they make a higher quality set, but $100 is too much.

I'm now looking for another hand held pull thru sharpener. Wusthof has one for $19.99. I'd like opinions on pull thru ones you liked, and especially ones you didn't like. Some say their pull thru knife sharpener took off too much steel and put too wide an edge on the side of the blade.

Last edited:
Sorry I have no opinion as my husband uses whet rocks.
Aren't steak knives serrated?

I go out of my way to buy non-serrated steak knives. ;)

One thing I keep my Edgemakers for is that they sharpen my long serrated kitchen knives well. Those are a bit tricky to sharpen.

Last edited:
DH loves his 3 stage electric Chef's Choice as well. He's always asking me for knives to sharpen.

I gave mine to Spike along with my Shun 12" knife. He uses it all the time and on occasion when he tries to use one of my knives, he will take it home and sharpen it to his liking. I have a hand held sharpener like the one shown on ATK. Works for me.! :angel:

Do you have a link for your knives?

Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 4-Piece Steak Knife Set: Steak Knives: Kitchen & Dining

If you look towards the bottom, you can see others selling them new for $39.99 rather than $68. The next better Wusthof 4 steak knife set costs around $100. Too much for me.

Here's Wusthof's knife sharpener I'm considering buying.

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Precision-Stage-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003TWNYYU/ref=pd_sim_79_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31EvGzMPbOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=17G8EJRGKX5N3A4MV93T

Or...maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R9P59OG?psc=1

Last edited:
I honestly don't see a reason for spending much on steak knives, and I prefer a serrated steak knife. Since it's being used almost 100% of the time on glass or stoneware plates, the edge is going to take a beating that no good knife should be put through. A halfway decent serrated knife will give years of service with little or no sharpening.

The ones I use most often came with the set of Cutco knives that my wife got suckered into buying about 15 years ago. The 8 steak knives are the only items from the set that we still use, along with the block that came with them. I have never done a thing with them except put them in the dishwasher, then back in the block. They still perform like they did when new, and if they ever do show signs of deteriorating, I can toss them with a clear conscience. :LOL:

Since I use these steak knives for a lot other than steaks, I prefer the non-serrated blade. Wusthof also sells a set of 6 steak knives that are slightly serrated 3/4 towards the top for around $95. These are of slightly higher quality stainless steel. Quite frankly, I too prefer less expensive steak knives. When they no longer sharpen up, I just buy another cheap set.

Also, I discovered that some knife makers add something to the steel during production that makes them much less susceptible to rust stains when put thru the dishwasher. My cheaper set of Wusthof doesn't have this element added to the steel, the next step up in Wusthofs knives do, like the ones listed below.

Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 6-Piece Steak-Knife Set: Wusthof Steak Knives: Kitchen & Dining

Last edited:
Since I use these steak knives for a lot other than steaks, I prefer the non-serrated blade. Wusthof also sells a set of 6 steak knives that are slightly serrated 3/4 towards the top for around $95. These are of slightly higher quality stainless steel. Quite frankly, I too prefer less expensive steak knives. When they no longer sharpen up, I just buy another cheap set.

Amazon.com: Wusthof Gourmet 6-Piece Steak-Knife Set: Wusthof Steak Knives: Kitchen & Dining
The only serrated blades in our house are the bread knives.
Husband actually prefers carbon steel to stainless.
Me, just give me something I hopefully won't cut myself with.

Over time I've replaced all the SS knives with carbon steel knives.

All of them are razor sharp including the knives used for eating at the table.
I sharpen them on an old fashioned wet stone and finish sharpening with a leather strop.

The only serrated blades in our house are the bread knives.
Husband actually prefers carbon steel to stainless.
Me, just give me something I hopefully won't cut myself with.
Coming, as I do, from a family which includes butchers and hairdressers I can promise you that you are more likely to cut yourself on blunt knives and scissors! Sharp knives, razors and scissors don't slip, dull ones do and are likely to do more damage than really sharp ones.

I've been away for some time so can't remember if I've posted this but the best thing you can have for sharpening knives is a good butcher's steel (not the cheap flimsy one you sometimes get in a knife set or in fancy kitchen shops). I was lucky, my uncle taught me how to use it properly but if you have a good relationship with your butcher and you ask when (s)he isn't busy, I'm sure (s)he will be happy to give you a lesson. He might even be prepared to order one from his suppliers for you if you ask really nicely.

And yes, I agree with the contributors who vote for carbon steel knives but they do take careful looking after.

Incidentally, I'm sure you don't keep your knives in a drawer. I use wooden blocks. My cousin, who is a professional chef, keeps his knives in a canvas roll. I once read that magnetic knife holders can blunt knives (something to do with the magnetic effect) but I don't know if there is any truth in this as I can't find any documentation on-line

Last edited:
Coming, as I do, from a family which includes butchers and hairdressers I can promise you that you only cut yourself on blunt knives and scissors! Sharp knives, razors and scissors don't slip, dull ones do and are likely to do more damage than really sharp ones.

I will disagree. Dull knives might be easier to have an accident because you are fighting the knife while trying to use it but I have never cut myself on a dull knife by just laying a thumb against the blade.

My gyuto is pretty sharp and I have been know to get lazy thumb while holding it. The thumb rests against the blade and I get cut.

Attention to detail is what keeps one from cutting themselves.

I will disagree. Dull knives might be easier to have an accident because you are fighting the knife while trying to use it but I have never cut myself on a dull knife by just laying a thumb against the blade.

My gyuto is pretty sharp and I have been know to get lazy thumb while holding it. The thumb rests against the blade and I get cut.

Attention to detail is what keeps one from cutting themselves.

I agree. You cut yourself because you weren't paying attention/being careful. As for dull knives vs. sharp knives, dull knife cuts hurt more.

I also have a 3 stage electric Chef's Choice. I use it once or twice a year to give all my knives a nice fresh edge. I bought this pull through for daily sharpening before use and I love it. Gets the knives nice and sharp. I have barely touched the edge several times while cutting or cleaning and have cut myself. Has a fine side for just a hone or a course side if it needs a bit more then just a tune up.

img_1449850_0_0aece89d2622e414be2bd62f052c74e3.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought 4 Wusthof Gourmet steak knives. I had been using the Edgemaker knife sharping set. The cheaper 4 Kitchenmaid steak knives that just got tossed ($20) I couldn't get the Edgemaker to remove large burrs. I couldn't put a new edge on them no matter how much time I spent. It's probably due to the cheap metal. It's almost like tiny chunks of steel were breaking off the knife edge. It was very obvious without even needing a magnifying glass.[...]

I'm now looking for another hand held pull thru sharpener. Wusthof has one for $19.99. I'd like opinions on pull thru ones you liked, and especially ones you didn't like. Some say their pull thru knife sharpener took off too much steel and put too wide an edge on the side of the blade.

I think you already have the best pull-through sharpener out there. But what you need is a bit beyond the scope of that kind of tool. Once you get chips, major rolls and edge damage you really need to have them sharpened on belts or stones. JMOHO.

As someone else mentioned it before, you will want to hone your knives frequently. I'd even go the extent of saying you should hone before every meal prep. Buy a steel honing rod and search up "how to hone correctly" on YouTube. And please don't watch the Gordon Ramsay video, as he has no clue what he is doing!

As far as pull throughs are concerned, Rada makes a cheap pull through sharpener that consists of gentle abrasives that wont remove too much metal from your knife. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom