Quality Gift Steak Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I browsed through the knife forum topics & did do a search on "steak knives", but came up empty-handed.

My brother just became engaged to be married, & although I haven't met his fiancee yet, my parents have said that she is a true "carnivore" - only eats a few vegetables & is allergic to seafood. I also got the impression that neither she nor my brother are exactly "into" cooking, so they probably do a lot of basic meat broiling, etc.

That said, I was thinking of sending them a set of good steak knives as an engagement gift. Let's face it - nothing says true love like a set of sharp knives!!:LOL:

So - suggestions on brands that are decent without being too outrageous? I'm thinking up to $200.

Thanks for any help!

I have wustoff steak knives, but I am not crazy about them. The do get the job done, but not as easily as some others I have used. The are not serrated, just a straight blade. I personally like the serrated steak knives better. The blades also have little rust spots on them from the dishwasher.

I have always liked Chicago Cutlery for value and quality (and I'd be over the Moon if somebody gifted me a nice block set of these). They have a nice range of products that are well designed and have good quality blades.

Have a look.

Z.

Thanks, & yes - I was thinking serrated as well, only because I'm not sure if my brother would bother sharpening the unserrated type. Also, I tend to lean towards the serrated types myself.

The Messermeister "San Moritz Elite" knives are quality German construction, high-carbon no-stain molybdenum vanadium steel, with an engravable personalization plate set into the handle. The steak knives have serrated edges. A seller on Amazon lists them at 4 for $139.00.

My dream set...

The Henckels Gourmet line is a nice line of stamped knives. (Blades a little lighter than on forged knives--but that doesn't really matter for this size of knife.) You can get these knives at 4 for $59.00 on Amazon.

So how much do you love your brother?

Personally, I don't see the value in spending $140 for four steak knives. That seems a little extravagant (in my opinion) when you can get a whole block set of decent knives for that. I don't think they'd cut steak THAT much better than a less expensive set. But, hey... that's just me.

Take a look on Amazon. I think spending $200 on steak knives is a real waste--not that the thought isn't generous and terrific. We have some pretty Wusthof or Henkels I think--very shiny stainless. And I have a set of serrated that our son gave us for Christmas 20+ years ago. Use them both, but not the good ones all that often. And you need to have 8, by the way. For pretty knives and good quality, Laguiole is lovely.
How about a couple of really nice kitchen knives--Santoku and a chef? They may "get into cooking" in their new life and you could be the spur.

So how much do you love your brother?[/quote said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

A little more background. My brother is 44 & this is his first time on the marriage-go-round. He's quite good-looking & I've never known him at any time to not have a gorgeous model-type on his arm. This is the first time, however, that someone's been able to snag him - lol!! (I believe this one got him because she's the first woman he's dated who also shares his addiction to golf.) He's my only sibling, & although we're not close-close, I'm thrilled to pieces that he's finally found that "someone".

However, since the fiancee owns her own home & has for some time, this is one of those situations where one definitely doesn't want to inundate them with stuff they already have or don't need. And from what I've heard concerning her attitude towards food (& I know his!), I really don't think they're going to suddenly morph into Jacque Pepin & Julia Child.

What I do know is that they eat a lot of meat - thus my idea for a really nice set of steak knives. Lord only knows what I'm going to get them for a wedding gift - but I have more time to research that nightmare.:LOL:

I do agree that I'd want to get them more than just a set of 4, which is why that Henckel's set I posted a link to looked sort of nice.

BreezyCooking said:
What I do know is that they eat a lot of meat - thus my idea for a really nice set of steak knives. Lord only knows what I'm going to get them for a wedding gift - but I have more time to research that nightmare.:LOL:

I think that is a great gift! It's always good to get what someone needs. My wife and I got a book called The Bride and Groom's First Cookbook from one of her friends for a wedding gift. It's very good, and funny too as I remember.

http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Grooms-...o_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt/103-4264709-7898223?ie=UTF8

Oh - & not that my brother & I are "tit-for-tat" as far as $$$ goes, but he always does send us nice things for birthdays, Xmas, etc. Recently he's taken to researching good restaurants in our area & phoning the places & personally ordering gift certificates to those specific restaurants. In fact, at this moment I'm sitting on $200 worth of dining out at a couple of nice places. So I really would like to send him something nice that he'll definitely use.

I collect knives, and for me, spending a lot on a set of steak knives that are esthetically pleasing as well as functional makes perfect sense, every bit as much as having fine china, crystal, and silverware on my dinner table on special occasions.

I have a set of eight steak knives made by La Coutellerie de Laguiole in France, and they're absolutely beautiful. I get compliments from guests every time I use them. People are wowed by the obvious quality, the beautiful amourette (snakewood) handles, elegant brass bolsters, gleaming razor-sharp blades, and the way these hefty knives feel in their hand. Few people have even seen such elegant knives on the dinner table (some high-end steak houses, such as Prime in the Bellagio in Las Vegas, use them).

A set of six of these knives can retail for up to $500, but you can find them on eBay for under $200.

One caution: I used to import every expensive Laguiole corkscrews, which I sold on eBay for a couple of years, and I became very familiar with the manufacturers. There are at least 15 different brands of Laguiole knives (Laguiole is a city and a style of cutlery, not a brand itself). Some are junk. Look for L'Artisan, Laguiole en Aubrac (a.k.a. Prestige), Arbalete G. David, Fontenille Patuad, and La Forge de Laguiole. Avoid Cepage and Sabatier (horrible junk).

Here's a link to a site that sells several brands of Laguiole knives, although currently they don't list some of those I've recommended, which have gotten very expensive due to the weak dollar: http://tinyurl.com/jblau

Compare prices on eBay, and feel free to ask me about any you're interested in -- as I said, I know these brands very well.

P10_AUB_SK4_OLB_1.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that GUNTER WILLHELM knives are an exceptional value. If I ever get tired of my Henckles set, I will definitely order a complete set of his. In fact, now that I have visited his site again, I notice that he now has an Asian set at an extremely reasonable price and I just may give them a try.

FryBoy said:
I collect knives, and for me, spending a lot on a set of steak knives that are esthetically pleasing as well as functional makes perfect sense, every bit as much as having fine china, crystal, and silverware on my dinner table on special occasions.

I have a set of eight steak knives made by La Coutellerie de Laguiole in France, and they're absolutely beautiful. I get compliments from guests every time I use them. People are wowed by the obvious quality, the beautiful amourette (snakewood) handles, elegant brass bolsters, gleaming razor-sharp blades, and the way these hefty knives feel in their hand. Few people have even seen such elegant knives on the dinner table (some high-end steak houses, such as Prime in the Bellagio in Las Vegas, use them).

A set of six of these knives can retail for up to $500, but you can find them on eBay for under $200.

One caution: I used to import every expensive Laguiole corkscrews, which I sold on eBay for a couple of years, and I became very familiar with the manufacturers. There are at least 15 different brands of Laguiole knives (Laguiole is a city and a style of cutlery, not a brand itself). Some are junk. Look for L'Artisan, Laguiole en Aubrac (a.k.a. Prestige), Arbalete G. David, Fontenille Patuad, and La Forge de Laguiole. Avoid Cepage and Sabatier (horrible junk).

Here's a link to a site that sells several brands of Laguiole knives, although currently they don't list some of those I've recommended, which have gotten very expensive due to the weak dollar: http://tinyurl.com/jblau

Compare prices on eBay, and feel free to ask me about any you're interested in -- as I said, I know these brands very well.

P10_AUB_SK4_OLB_1.jpg

These are stunningly beautiful knifes. I have a budget set of these that cut beautifully and have different handles. and they are good enough for me. BUT these are beautiful. I'd get married again, don't tell Husband!, for these with the snakewood handles.

I think its a great present too!

BreezyCooking said:
I don't know about the steak knives in particular, but 2 years ago I threw my collection of cheapish to mid-range knives out for a few Henckles knives and I must say they are absolutely great. Well worth their (hefty) price.
Not too well suited for dishwasher enthousiasts though. They're high quality steel but not 18/10 Inox. Either way, I'd be thrilled with such a set.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom