Refurbish wooden handles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeasor

Assistant Cook
I want to refurbish the wooden handles on my kitchen cutlery. I have read that I should use a "food grade" oil (not salad oil, cooking oil, ...). Else where I read to use Danish wood oil, Rosewood oil or Teak oil. Any recommendations??? Oil and/or something else??? I plan to sand them first then apply finish. Any help will be appreciated.

Zeasor...
Wood handled cooking utensils can possibly pose a sanitation problem due to the fact that wood is porous. I would guess that 99% of restaurants, meat markets, grocery stores etc do not use wooden handled knives due to health department guidelines etc. So in re-finishing your wooden handled cutlery I would suggest sanding and sealing with some type of waterproof wood sealer, as a barrier to bacteria. This will protect the wood, prevent contamination, and will look good too! Hope this helps you a bit!

You can get food grade mineral oil in the laxative section of the drug store.

After washing and drying, lightly sand the handles to open the wood pores, then wipe on the oil. Let it sit overnight then wipe off any excess. You're good to go.

I had a set of wood handled Chicagy Cutlery knives I treated that way and they looked good and held up well for a long time.

Zeasor said:
I want to refurbish the wooden handles on my kitchen cutlery. I have read that I should use a "food grade" oil (not salad oil, cooking oil, ...). Else where I read to use Danish wood oil, Rosewood oil or Teak oil. Any recommendations??? Oil and/or something else??? I plan to sand them first then apply finish. Any help will be appreciated.

First, Zeasor, welcome to DC. We hope you will stay a nice long time.

Now, as for your wooden cutlery handles, I can't really offer a solution but my husband, Buck, will be able to give you good advice. He's a professional woodworker and can point you in the way to go. I'll tell him about your question and when he logs on later this afternoon, I'm sure he'll offer his thoughts and suggestions.

UNCLE BOB--- I considered using a polyurethane but I am hoping to maintain the natural look and feel of wood. Your help is appreciated.

Zeasor, I think you'd have a hard time keeping polyurethane from peeling given how much water the handles are subjected to.

ANDY M.--- I'm off to the drug store. When I slice tooooo much cheese, I can always lick the handle:):):) Thanks for your help.

I have a salad bowl and utensils made from olive wood in Egypt and was instructed to use mineral oil, too. They are still beautiful 12 years later. Mineral oil makes all wooden utensils look beautiful but as already mentioned be sure that they are very clean to begin with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom