Rust spots on knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
My brother is a bit of a chef and told me years ago, not to listen to anyone that says you have to pay $100 or more buying knives or that you have to buy knives at an expensive kitchen store. His advise was a good knife set can always be bought at target. I have done that over the years and have had good results for the most part. My problem?

AT least we think this is the problem. We have a lot of iron in the water. I had some old knives and I stopped caring for them. I would just leave them sitting around not cleaned or I would throw them in the dish washer. Over time they got BADLY stained/rusted. I have boughten a new set of knives. Cost about $55.00 for 4 knives plus "4 steak knifes" and sharpener. The last couple of weeks I have been making sure I CLEAN them and DRY them right away. I no longer put them into the dish washer. I am finding a few very small rust spots on some of them. : (. My DH thinks it's still the water, as I do have to wash and rinse them in the same water.

chicago cutlery is the brand

Last edited:
Chicago Cutlery makes a quality inexpensive knife. Your brother was right in what he told you. However I doubt you are seeing rust on your knives as they are most likely stainless steel which does not rust.

The description of my knives can be found here:

World Kitchen, LLC

I don't know what else it would be other than rust or something that is causing rust/brown spots. I'm only seeing a few very tiny ones.

Well stainless can rust I think, but it would take a lot. You would really have to abuse them to get to that point and it does not sound like you are.

That is why we think it's the iron in the water. We use filters, but we have to buy some special system to get rid of the rust problem. Im not sure when we are doing that, as it costs some money. But geez....I'm cleaning and wiping them dry pretty much after each use. :wacko:

Legend...I am curious about your "rust" problem. It this evident when you do laundry? If your water is as rusty as you say, then, you must have a horrendous problem doing laundry. Can you elaborate?

I also agree with GB's evaluation of Chicago Cutlery. They do a fine job.

P.S.

Glad you quit putting your knives in the dishwasher.

My DH knows about it better than I do. We have a lot of iron in the water. We have to use filters down in our basement. After awhile the filter clogs up and it has to be replaced. Usually once every 2-3 weeks or so. During the winter it can be worse. One time, we didnt' use the filter for a few days. The bath water was literally brown. But, with the filter....it's better and it's not brown. Our laundry is fine. Unless the filter isn't in place. I guess that must mean the water coming out of the kitchen faucet should also be fine enough to clean some knives right? I think when water has iron in it, it's called hard water.

Chicago Cutlery is made of a high carbon stainless steel which can rust and they will tell you this if you call. The high carbon makes the knives tough enough so they do not bend or break however they can still rust. Try Bar Keepers Friend (powder) cleaner which can be found at any local retailer and then continue to hand wash, hand dry, and add oil (olive or vegetable) to the blades after drying this should resolve the problem.

Just to second, SS can rust, depending on the grade and other metals in it. I have some SS dog dishes and buckets that didn't show any signs of rust spotting until I started putting them in a dishwasher. Now I have a few starting to spot up on me, but I can get the spots out with a scotch-brite.

Whenever I have rust-looking spots like that, I take a small piece of aluminum foil and rub... it does come off. I'm guessing a very fine grade of steel wool would do the trick too. But whatever you use, test it gently first, to make sure it's not causing deep scratches.

pacanis said:
Just to second, SS can rust, depending on the grade and other metals in it. I have some SS dog dishes and buckets that didn't show any signs of rust spotting until I started putting them in a dishwasher. Now I have a few starting to spot up on me, but I can get the spots out with a scotch-brite.

And I "third" it. The metal composition of products labeled "STAINLESS" vary by manufacturer. Some compositions will rust. Many brands of automatic dishwasher detergent include an oxygen bleach which accelerates the oxidation (rusting) process.

Back
Top Bottom