Santoku knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why?? I'm very comfortable with my chefs knives.

If I can find it in this mess, I have a Faberware 8" Santoku (new in the packaging, bought on clearance) I could send to you. Since I got the Henckels I have not used it.

I've noticed that men tend to like the chef's knives and women tend to like the santoku. I have both and the santoku feels more balanced and steady in my hand. The chef's knife that came with my culinary school knife kit is much longer; DH uses it primarily.

I'm not sure how much it has to do with gender. For me, the knife I use depends entirely on what I'm cutting. If I have a big slab o'meat to break down, then I prefer a chef's knife for the extra length and heft. However, if I'm chopping veggies, I would much rather use a santoku. The lightness and sense of control is better suited for making quick work out of a pile of onions or carrots.

PF, thanks, but it's not that important.

I have an 8" and a 6" chef's knives. I believe most santokus are 6" to 8" long. My chef's knives are heavier than santokus, but there are lighter chef's knives. I think it's just what you get used to for the most part. If I had to switch to a santoku, I'd adapt.

I'm not sure how much it has to do with gender. For me, the knife I use depends entirely on what I'm cutting. If I have a big slab o'meat to break down, then I prefer a chef's knife for the extra length and heft. However, if I'm chopping veggies, I would much rather use a santoku. The lightness and sense of control is better suited for making quick work out of a pile of onions or carrots.

I'm not saying it's universal. It's just something I've noticed over time as we've discussed this in other threads.

PF, thanks, but it's not that important.

I have an 8" and a 6" chef's knives. I believe most santokus are 6" to 8" long. My chef's knives are heavier than santokus, but there are lighter chef's knives. I think it's just what you get used to for the most part. If I had to switch to a santoku, I'd adapt.
I agree Andy and my Chefs knife will remain my goto knife for most prep I just like the feel of it better. I am glad I got the Santoku as well however because it does work a little better or me for dicing garlic, chopping parsley and that kind of thing so they will both have a home for the foreseeable future.

So, an Ulu knife is out of the question for chopping, fine dicing veggies and herbs?:ROFLMAO: Love mine.

I love talking about knives, just wish I could afford some fine Japanese knives...

I like knives also Princess but have no desire for the lighter harder Japanese knife. I prefer more heft to my knives.
This is one of my favorites, not a kitchen knife but has been used on food on occasion.

ajlIl0Hl.jpg

I tried one and couldn't see what the fuss is about.

I use my 2 knives almost exclusively, the gyuto and the petty.

I am not a fan of the Santoku. I have chef's, pettys, santoku, and nakiri. All Jaanese in VG 10 steel with similar handles. The handle acts only as a counter weight if you have a sharp knife and use a pinch grip. My santoku is used the least. The nakiri the most.

It's all in what you prefer.

I tried one and couldn't see what the fuss is about.

I use my 2 knives almost exclusively, the gyuto and the petty.

I guess the fuss over the santoku is that I have found a knife I can wield with comfort and control. I may as well use a macheté if I am to use a chef's knife...no control at all. The balance is just not right for someone who can barely see over the counter:rolleyes:

Some day I will try a santoku. For now, I love the Henckel chef's knife. I just measured it. It's 23 cm from where the metal starts to the tip, so just a smidge over 9". Stirling almost never uses it. He seems to prefer the carving knife.

I guess the fuss over the santoku is that I have found a knife I can wield with comfort and control. I may as well use a macheté if I am to use a chef's knife...no control at all. The balance is just not right for someone who can barely see over the counter:rolleyes:

You have to be taller than the knife.... :ROFLMAO:

I thought I was the only one with that problem. My counters are exactly three feet from the floor. And I stand 4'7". Doesn't give me much leverage for wielding anything too long.

I have a Santoku that was given to me as a gift. Too heavy and too big for me. I use it for smashing garlic cloves with the side of the knife. Rather expensive gift for just smashing garlic. :angel:

Santoku bevel

I like Santoku knives over chef’s knives for most purposes, but I don’t own any high quality (read: expensive blades that I would kill myself if I ruined them) blades. In fact, I’m not sure they even have the single-side 15° bevel. How does one tell, though, if they are beveled on a single side, which side it is?

I like Santoku knives mostly because they’re a bit smaller than chef’s knives, usually wider and therefore easier for me to handle. All of my cheapies were undoubtedly made with the American cook in mind, so they all have a slightly curved tip that facilitates that Western rocking motion for chopping.

When I do finally make an investment, I think I’ll go for one of those hybrids, the gyuto style knife. I understand that some are beveled at 15° on both sides, so I don’t have to worry about ruining them if I self-sharpen!

Back
Top Bottom