Santoku knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flphotog

Assistant Cook
I have replace all of my kitchen knives, or will have by the end of the week. One knife that I've never had is the Santoku and I've been thinking about getting one.
If I decide to do this that leaves one open issue, I can't decide if the 7" or 5" would be the better choice.
Does anyone have any pros/cons for either size of this knife?

Thanks

It really depends on what fits in your hand and the weight you like. Personally I like an 8" Santoku, perfect for slicing, dicing and chopping. The smaller knives are not as useful, I have a 5" Santoku that is used just like a paring knife. Anything bigger and I can't control it.

About 7 years ago I bought a nice Shun 8-inch Santoku (I have kind of large clumsy hands). At first, it sat in the drawer because I didn't care for the somewhat flat blade edge. I had been brought up using a rocking motion to cut vegetables, which seemed better suited to a standard European chef's knife, due to the rounded edge. The Santoku felt a little awkward by comparison.

Anyway, we had some kind of event at the house where I needed some kitchen help, and so I started handing out knives and cutting boards to people. All that was left for me was the Santoku (sorry, but I wasn't going to hand a $200 knife to people I didn't know real well). Again, it felt clumsy at first. But I found that by rocking it more on the tip, I could get the same sort of technique as with the chef's knife. And the more I used it, the better it felt. You definitely get a little better sense of control over the shorter, thicker blade. And speaking of the blade, the blade on this thing is wickedly sharp. Onions and carrots quiver at the sight of this knife. :LOL:

Before long I was using for all my vegetable prep work. I still don't care for the shorter blade quite as much when cubing large cuts of meat for stews and what not, but for most everything else it rocks!

The only thing I will add is that you MUST have it sharpened by someone who understands the angle of Japanese knife blades. Or buy a sharpener with the correct angle. I didn't understand this at first, and almost ruined the knife when I sharpened it the first time. I ended up having to send it to a manufacturer-sanctioned sharpener to have the blade re-honed. Now that I know, I do it myself.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I decided to go with the 7" Santoku from the Henckels International Classsic Series since I have been replacing all of my knives with that series and love them, a couple more to go and they should be here tomorrow.

bO5Tgzdl.jpg

That's the one I have. I love it.
Good to hear. I've just finished putting together a set of Henckels International Classic to replace my old stuff. Well almost finished, the last two knives are due here on tomorrow. So far I love them all.
I struggled with want to get for a long time and finally decided on these as a great compromise of cost and quality.

My SousChef (husband) and I each have our own 7" Santoku knives. Both fit our hands perfectly and we use them nearly exclusively. My chef knife hasn't been used for years.

My SousChef (husband) and I each have our own 7" Santoku knives. Both fit our hands perfectly and we use them nearly exclusively. My chef knife hasn't been used for years.
I doubt that I'll be giving up my Chefs knife but it will be sharing duties with the Santoku. I think I'll be loving them both.
zDqiqpgl.jpg

I've actually never used a santoku. I probably should try one sometime.
I like the new Santoku but I'm old and stuck in my ways so it will never replace my chefs knife for serious chopping. I did use it tonight for dicing garlic and chopping parsley and it really was great so I'm thinking it will be great for lighter tasks but like I said the chefs knife will hold supreme for me for serious chopping.

It's really all in what you get used to fl. I was never happy with the way a chef knife behaved for me. It was so big bulky and cumbersome for me and I've never looked back since I purchased my Santoku. My knife skills have really improved and I can do everything a chef's knife does, only better for me.

Steve, your comments were appreciated.

Andy, I'd love to see you try one!

Last edited:
I've noticed that men tend to like the chef's knives and women tend to like the santoku. I have both and the santoku feels more balanced and steady in my hand. The chef's knife that came with my culinary school knife kit is much longer; DH uses it primarily.

I've noticed that men tend to like the chef's knives and women tend to like the santoku. I have both and the santoku feels more balanced and steady in my hand. The chef's knife that came with my culinary school knife kit is much longer; DH uses it primarily.

Do you think it's because the santoku is lighter?

I'm with Andy. I'm most comfortable with my chef knife. I tried my sister's santoku and wasn't much impressed. I use my 10 Wusthof chef for probably 95% of what I do in the kitchen - even for finer work like cutting the ribs out of peppers and the like. It just suits me. The only other one that gets much use is my 5" Wusthof boning knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom