Santoku knife reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
I'm looking into purchasing a Santoku knife to replace my old Cutco chef's knife. The one I'm looking at is this: Henckels Twin Cuisine 7-Inch Hollow-Edge Santoku

Does anyone know if this is a good knive or not? I'm not very familiar with all of Henckels' product lines (Twin Cermax, Twin Select, Twin Cuisine, etc.), but it seems as though the Twin Cuisine line is maybe the 3rd best? Not sure on that..

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions/reviews before I make my purchase. Thanks!

When I took my sister knife shopping, she handled a dozen knives and chose the Henckels Pro S. She has been very happy with it.

chave982 said:
Does anyone know if this is a good knive or not? I'm not very familiar with all of Henckels' product lines (Twin Cermax, Twin Select, Twin Cuisine, etc.), but it seems as though the Twin Cuisine line is maybe the 3rd best? Not sure on that..

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions/reviews before I make my purchase. Thanks!

That, I'm not sure of. But I think they market their Pro-S and 5-Star as their two top of the line styles. As long as you're getting one of their single forged, ice-hardened friodur high-carbon blades, the handle of the knife is simply ergonomics. Get whichever one you feel comfortable with.

chave982 said:
I'm looking into purchasing a Santoku knife to replace my old Cutco chef's knife. The one I'm looking at is this: Henckels Twin Cuisine 7-Inch Hollow-Edge Santoku

i recently went into bed bath & beyond and asked if i could handle the knives... to see which one felt best in my hand.

i liked the henckels, and i liked the furi santoku knives.

but OUTSIDE of the "expensive" knife case, i handled the anolon 7" santoku and it actually felt BETTER than the other more expensive knives.

so, i laid down the $29 and left with the anolon.

As far as the practical uses of a Santoku knife goes, can it completely replace a chef's knife? I was planning on giving away my Cutco chef's knife to my brother, and then buy the Santoku to replace it.

chave982 said:
As far as the practical uses of a Santoku knife goes, can it completely replace a chef's knife? I was planning on giving away my Cutco chef's knife to my brother, and then buy the Santoku to replace it.

The santoku cannot be used to chop through small bones such as those in chicken as a chef's knife can. It has a thinner and lighter blade.

Just remember that you can buy an inexpensive knife if a) you don'y use it often or b) you don't mind buying a another knife in the near future. The Santoku has gained attention because of its use by TV Chefs, but it is a fun knife to play with. In the restaurant I work at we prepare everything in such large quanities it does not make sense to use it when a Chefs knife is really needed. Just take care of your knife by sharpening properly, cleaning it and drying it before storing.

I had ordered the Wusthof one from the Mall knife store. It came in and it was the Henckel instead. DS picked it up for me and I was annoyed that it was wrong brand. Henckel was cheaper and I paid Wusthof price. Brought it home, I felt it, tried it and took it back. The weight for me wasn't there and didn't feel as substantial either. Ordered the right one and I've loved my Wusthof ever since. To me, well worth the money.

Andy M. said:
The santoku cannot be used to chop through small bones such as those in chicken as a chef's knife can. It has a thinner and lighter blade.

My Lamsons are very simillar in thickness and weight. Before I ordered my 8" chef, I could use the santoku to go right through chicken bones.

I mainly use my santoku for chiffanades or juliennes.

i have 2 santokus and i like them because i simply like the control and "feel" i have with them.

but NOTHING can replace my chef's knife... cause when it's time to "rock" that blade and chop some veggies, herbs, etc. quickly and SMOOTHLY, i'm simply better (much better) with the chef's knife.

I have a couple of santoku and two different chef's knives (6' and 10"). In general, I prefer the santoku, however, the 10" knife is still my choice for chopping. Not just because of the rock (though that does help) but also because the blade is longer. My santoku are both fairly short, however.

i recently received the furi coppertail as a gift, and i must admit...

it feels GREAT in my hand!!!!

Santoku Review

I have all Wusthof Classic knives, 10 inch chef's, 8 inch chef's and a 7 1/2 inch Santoku with granton edge. I love them all, but the Santoku is my very favorite. I suppose it's because of the hollow ground blade and divets. the divets allow super fine (almost transparent) potato slices, for instance, and the slices will not stick to the blade, the divets allow air to enter between the blade and what you are slicing. However, the other 2 knives have advantages, such as greater weight, that make them better for other things.

Cermax Santoku

Last Christmas I was given a Cermax Santoku knife... I need to explain something first, I have for over $2500 worth of knives in my block, not that I want to brag but I want to illustrate that when it comes to knives, money is never an issue for me (just for knives though...). Anyhow to make a long story short, to my opinion Henckels Cermax are the very best Santoku knives you can buy. The are sharp beyond reason, sharper than a Kasumi. The advantange of super sharpness is speed and precision. On the flip side, since the blade is soooo sharp, it is more brittle and therefore should be use appropriately, second, you will need a stone to sharpen it (more importantly, you will need to know how to use a stone first, so practice on sheap knives before). There is no way you can send this knife to be sharpen to your run of the mill place, it needs to be handle by someone who can appreciate the structure of the blade and this won't be accomplished by some clerk behind a counter.

OK... not everyone need or want this kind of knife, I realize that. Since I have handled different quality of knife, let me say this... You really get what you are paying for. At first a $29 dollar knife can look as good and feel as good and a more expensive knife but trust me they aren't. The grain of the blade (texture of the metal) will be coarser and after the initial few usages, it won't glide as smootly and will feel rough. Further more, cheap knives get dull quite quickly and let's face it most people will put up with a dull knife far longer than they should.

My reasonng when I am buyng a knife is this: I am most likely to keep this knife forever and very unlikely to replace it. I want to be comfortable with the knife and enjoy using it. Since I don't buy a knife every month, I wan't to get it right the first time. This makes it enjoyable to use. I will bite the bullet but will be over with.

Remember a sharp knife is a safe knife...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom