Santoku vs. chef's knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree with the 6" suggestion. But you might consider some quality alternatives from Europe - Fissler, Berghoff. Also, a slightly different shape is the Deba knife. Not as rounded as the Chef''s knife but more so than the Santoku.

yogiwan said:
Agree with the 6" suggestion. But you might consider some quality alternatives from Europe - Fissler, Berghoff. Also, a slightly different shape is the Deba knife. Not as rounded as the Chef''s knife but more so than the Santoku.

Thanks! I saw a Deba knife at Bed Bath today, but the salesperson told me it was only used for deboning fish. Is that true?

Small knives are great for cutting up fruit and other small tasks, but if you're going to learn how to really cook on one knife, it should be an 8" chef's knife. 6" is too small to be a versatile knife. After you master 8", you won't want to be going down.

Eventually, you just might become a knife nut. I'm using 9" and 10.5" gyuto (chef's) knives these days, which I bought in the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. They are beautiful...

link... Masamoto Tsukiji Knives | Victory or Death in the Kitchen

And yes, deba knives are for fish prep, not for general cooking. Western filet knives are thin and flexible, Japanese debas are wide and rigid. Debas can remove fish heads easily, and require a different technique.

Attachments

• D72_4271-670x445.jpg
    D72_4271-670x445.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
tzakiel said:
Small knives are great for cutting up fruit and other small tasks, but if you're going to learn how to really cook on one knife, it should be an 8" chef's knife. 6" is too small to be a versatile knife. After you master 8", you won't want to be going down.

It's been difficult for me to work with 8" chef's knives due to my arthritis. That's why I'm looking for a knife that is a more manageable size.

Have you tried the global 8" chef? It's extremely light and easy to handle. It feels smaller than 8"

tzakiel said:
Have you tried the global 8" chef? It's extremely light and easy to handle. It feels smaller than 8"

No, I haven't tried it yet. I heard that it was a really high quality knife. I wish it wasn't so pricey, as my budget is limited at the moment.

6" knives are perfectly fine if they are more comfortable to use than 8" knives. In fact, I think they would be much better in that case.

danbuter said:
6" knives are perfectly fine if they are more comfortable to use than 8" knives. In fact, I think they would be much better in that case.

Glad to hear this! Which brand would you recommend in the 6" knife category?

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Like many of you, I use an 8" chef's knife for most of my cutting & chopping, especially with meats; because the blade is thinner, I do use my 6" santoku for slicing most veggies except for the more heavy-duty types (think butternut squash). For any of you who would like a good deal on knives, the Swiss Knife Shop has a 3-knife package of Victorinox - Forschner knives with the fibrox handle (8" chef's, 4.5" serrated & 3.25" paring - the "Brown Box Special") for $44, shipping included.

Mario said:
For any of you who would like a good deal on knives, the Swiss Knife Shop has a 3-knife package of Victorinox - Forschner knives with the fibrox handle (8" chef's, 4.5" serrated & 3.25" paring - the "Brown Box Special") for $44, shipping included.

Thanks for posting this. Looks like a great deal!

Mario said:
Like many of you, I use an 8" chef's knife for most of my cutting & chopping, especially with meats; because the blade is thinner, I do use my 6" santoku for slicing most veggies except for the more heavy-duty types (think butternut squash). For any of you who would like a good deal on knives, the Swiss Knife Shop has a 3-knife package of Victorinox - Forschner knives with the fibrox handle (8" chef's, 4.5" serrated & 3.25" paring - the "Brown Box Special") for $44, shipping included.

Has anyone tried this Victorinox chef's knife?

For chefs that would be more that case. But for us amateurs, or chefwannabees, it fits between a chef's knife and the Santoku (or small cleaver which some like including my wife). So it really comes down to what feels comfortable and what is most useful for your style.

Next is to ask for a knife skills course from a local chef or cooking school as a gift for the holidays. Chefwannabees get closer to being chefs when their prep skills (aka knife skills) improve.

I am certainly not the only voice here. But I agree the correct knife for you, is the one that makes your chopping, slicing, and dicing chores comfortable, and controllable. IMHO, there are but two considerations that you have to consider in purchasing a good knife, the quality of the steel, and the control the knife gives you.

Without going into a three page explanation of knives, good steel is paramount, as the steel quality determines the edge harness, how difficult it is to keep a sharp edge, stain resistance, and required maintenance. The shape determines what the knife can be used for.

The santoku is used for chopping, that is, making relatively straight up and down strokes through the food you are cutting. The problem I have with this is that the edge has to be extremely sharp for the tool to do its job. If the edge isn't razor sharp, more force is required to push the knife edge through the food. This can result in accidents, or inaccurate cuts. The knife just isn't very forgiving.

The chef's knife has a curve belly that lets you slide the knife slightly forward or backward as you push down. This is a more efficient stroke and cuts through hard and firm foods much more readily. Also, a slicing motion is required to cut relatively tough skinned foods such as tomatoes, who delicate inner structure would cause most santokus to squish, rather than cut through the fruit. Breads and meats also need to be sliced, rather than chopped.

If you need to chop foods, such as raw mushrooms for duxelles, or onions, celery, etc., either knife will do the job. In other works, a chef's knife will do everything a santoku knife will do. A santoku can't do everything a chef's knife will do.

I even use my 10-inch chef's knife for a paring knife, and to remove the stems fro the top of a tomato. But then again, I'm a little extreme. My grown children use chef's knives too, but in different sizes than mine. Sprout prefers an 8 incher, but loves her ten inch knife for things like cantaloup, watermelon, winter squashes, or to slice through a large chunk of meat. P.A.G. loves her nine 8 1/2 inch chef's knife. My son, the professional cook uses a ten inch knife for most of his work, but has an arsenal of specialty knives as well. He has a very long carving knife, and a bread knife too. The other son uses an eight inch ceramic chef's knife. In fact, three of them use the ceramic chef's knives and love them.

Another reason I like my ten incher is that the blade is wide enough from edge to spine, to keep my knuckles from banging against the cutting board while I'm working.

So, as you can see, the best knife for you is the highest quality knife you can afford, and fits your needs.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks to the many respones to this thread. I have good quality Chef Knives, and a mid quality Santoku. I find I can cut much thinner slices with the Santoku - those litte hollow ridges seem to stick less to anything being thinly sliced.

I also like that the Santoku has a wider overall blade, which makes picking up the results of my patient work and positing it where I want it to wait for me. lol

Last edited:
According to Cooks Illustrated, the Victorinox chef's knife is the standard knife in their test kitchen. They are not the best knives in the world, but they do a good job for a reasonable price. I have bought three sets: one for a daughter, one for a friend for her vacation place and the other for me. Often a few of us will rent a place and since I usually end up as the duty cook, I wanted a set of knives that I could bring along (most rentals have lousy knives) without having to worry about my "good" knives.

Mario said:
According to Cooks Illustrated, the Victorinox chef's knife is the standard knife in their test kitchen. They are not the best knives in the world, but they do a good job for a reasonable price. I have bought three sets: one for a daughter, one for a friend for her vacation place and the other for me. Often a few of us will rent a place and since I usually end up as the duty cook, I wanted a set of knives that I could bring along (most rentals have lousy knives) without having to worry about my "good" knives.

Did you get the ones with the Fibrox handle?

tzakiel said:
Try this one... 7.25" and great MAC quality. I don't own MAC knives but in my research they always come up highly recommended.

Mac Utility Knife 7 1/4" - Chef Series on sale Free Shipping US48

Thanks for this suggestion. I hadn't heard of these knives. At this point I'm trying out the Wusthof Silverpoint 6" chef's knife I found at TJ Maxx and will see if works for me. The handle is made of a synthetic material, which I'm not sure makes a difference in terms of performance for a beginner. The Victorinox knives with Fibrox handles got good reviews on America's Test Kitchen, so I'm guessing they would be a good choice if I don't like the Silverpoint.

In the Victorinox 3-piece set, the chef's knife has a fibrox handle; the other two are polypropelene. While I wash all my knives by hand, the fibrox-handled knives are dishwasher safe. I do have Wusthof Silverpoint paring knife that I picked up many years ago and I would say it's much the same as the Victorinox paring knife, but it doesn't have the fibrox handle of the chef's knife. My "good" knives are Wusthof Classic which I really like; had I been able to find a set of Silverpoint similar to the Victorinox set, I probably would have gotten them.

Mario said:
In the Victorinox 3-piece set, the chef's knife has a fibrox handle; the other two are polypropelene. While I wash all my knives by hand, the fibrox-handled knives are dishwasher safe. I do have Wusthof Silverpoint paring knife that I picked up many years ago and I would say it's much the same as the Victorinox paring knife, but it doesn't have the fibrox handle of the chef's knife. My "good" knives are Wusthof Classic which I really like; had I been able to find a set of Silverpoint similar to the Victorinox set, I probably would have gotten them.

How does the fibrox handle compare to the polypropylene? Does it allow for a more secure grip?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom