Sharpening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ja2066

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have suggestions on how to find someone to sharpen knives, or what item i could buy that would allow me to do this at home. I currently have one chef knife that is in rough shape. I am also purchasing a knife or a couple for my girlfriend, therefore I will be responsible for keeping those sharp as well. if it makes a difference my current knife is a messerstahl (might be spelled wrong) they are supposed to be based out of California, and am looking to buy either a Japanese style blade or a western style made by a Japanese maker.

Hi, Ja2066. Wecome to DC. I posted some comments on sharpening here that you may find useful. Beyond that, I'd suggest you do some research at KnifeForums, BladeForums and FoodieForums for more advanced information. I can also strongly recommend Dave Martell's superb DVD set "The Art of Knife Sharpening."

Ask your butcher who sharpens his knives. Chances are, he does his own, and will volunteer to do yours also, if you are a regular customer.

You could also contact a local hardware store - they may know of someone.

Also, believe it or not, call a couple beauty parlor type shops. They may know someone who comes around to sharpen their scissors and such - the same person probably also sharpens knives.

You know what they say- "Give a man a fish and you've fed him for a day. But teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for the rest of his life." Nothing wrong with sniffing out a professional "tinker," but it's a very gratifying thing to be able to sharpen on your own.:)

I have to agree with you on that, Rob. It's also very convenient to be able to sharpen your own knives when they need it.

You know what they say- "Give a man a fish and you've fed him for a day. But teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for the rest of his life."
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for one day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all week-end.

well now i learned 2 things, what to do to sharpen knives and that i have been fishing wrong all these years.

I am personally very fond of a set of ceramic sticks that I have had for the last 25 years. They were passed on to me from my dad. They are called Tennessee Sticks, though I know there are several other similarly styled sharpening systems out there. I believe Spyderco makes a diamond version. Essentially there are twosticks that sit in a wood base at an angle. Draw the blade down each stick vertically and the edge is honed at the proper angle. Finish with a steel. This is much easier and less risky than using a stone, and doesn't remove nearly as much material from the blade. When I am in front of a normal computer (as opposed to my phone), I will post a link.

I got a set of knives about 10 years ago and in the set was sharpener (a long round shaft with a handle on it. Much as I've tried to follow directions, I can't get my knives sharp with that thing! Maybe more coordination would help! LOL I'll have to check out the links posted on this thread. Ok, I guess this didn't really help answer any questions! Sorry! Just rambling...

I got a set of knives about 10 years ago and in the set was sharpener (a long round shaft with a handle on it. Much as I've tried to follow directions, I can't get my knives sharp with that thing!...

I'm not surprised. That steel rod with a handle on it is a hone, not a sharpener. Even though it's sometimes called a sharpening steel, all it does is dress the existing edge. It cannot put a new wdge on a blade.

Take your knives to a professional sharpener then help keep them sharp with the steel.

I am personally very fond of a set of ceramic sticks that I have had for the last 25 years. They were passed on to me from my dad. They are called Tennessee Sticks, though I know there are several other similarly styled sharpening systems out there.

I have a couple Tennesee Big Sticks, too. I don't use 'em much as they're pretty short.

I am not a big fan of steels, at least not the grooved kind you normally see in knife blocks. IMOHO they're too hard on knives, especially thin, fine edged knives like Japanese ones. The edge they give you is mostly microserration and is essentially edge damage. If you have to use one, then use very very light strokes. I use a fine ceramic, either an 8" that I got from EdgePro Inc. or a 12" DMT CS2. Eventually I'll probably buy a glass one from Dave @ Japanese Knife Sharpening.

I'm not surprised. That steel rod with a handle on it is a hone, not a sharpener. Even though it's sometimes called a sharpening steel, all it does is dress the existing edge. It cannot put a new wdge on a blade.

Take your knives to a professional sharpener then help keep them sharp with the steel.

*blush* I thought it was a sharpener. Thanks a bunch for the info!

Eventually I'll probably buy a glass one from Dave @ Japanese Knife Sharpening.

Here ya go Rob. I seldom use the EP ceramic rod as I finish with stropping instead.

I have both the Hand American glass smooth steel and borosilicate rod with the micro grooves on opposing quarters. I no longer use any of the smooth surfaces as the micro grooved quarters does excellent touch up work on both soft German and hard Japanese edges.

Attachments

• 100_0232.jpg
    100_0232.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_0233.jpg
    100_0233.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_0234.jpg
    100_0234.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Andy, grooved sharpening steels are nothing more than round files and they do sharpen. If nothing else, they remove too much metal. They don't provide an edge that I would consider serviceable in my kitchen. When viewed under magnification the edges produced are rough and jagged compared to sharpening with waterstones and strops, but each to his own. I have seen butchers in meat packing plants who use nothing but steels to keep their edges cutting but it's not for me.

Buzz

If you have a dull knife you need something like a 3 stone sharpening system with a coarse stone, a medium stone, and a fine stone.

And a steel to keep it sharp in between sharpenings.

I'm looking at my old Dexter Steel of unknown vintage and already worn very smooth and remove what 'tooth' is left using fine abrasives and jewelers rouge.

The Dexter isn't my only steel, in comparison the Henkels (from both the community (cheap) set and private (good) set) are like a round files.

Back
Top Bottom