Sharpening tool recommendation needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Everyone,

It was suggested about a butcher sharpen the knives but I didn't want to walk around NYC with knives in a bag.

Why not? It sounds like a fun way to spend a quiet Saturday afternoon. Just think of all the attention you will get and headlines created! Some country western star just might even write a song about you. Then someone could write a Broadway musical about you! Go ahead. Have some fun!

You could always try a professional sharpener if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself

I know this is an " It Depends " kind of a question, but how often would you say you feel your knives need to be sharpened ?

I know it depends n type of knife, material, how frequently it gets used, what you cut with it etc . But what would you say, on average knives need to be sharpened for the typical every day home cook ( Just curious).

I know this is an " It Depends " kind of a question, but how often would you say you feel your knives need to be sharpened ?

I know it depends n type of knife, material, how frequently it gets used, what you cut with it etc . But what would you say, on average knives need to be sharpened for the typical every day home cook ( Just curious).

For mine, a couple of times a year at most for the 10" Wusthof chef that I use 90% of the time. And those are not aggressive sharpenings, just a half dozen strokes on the second and third stages on my Chef's Choice bring life back to the edge.

In between sharpenings I just tune the edge with my hone before each use.

+1. These work great on anything under 59 RC hardness.

+2. Edgemaker Pro works great on my non Japanese knives. I use it regularly and very happy with it on my Henckels 4 star, Wusthof pros, etc...

Never used it on the "new" style Henckels and Wusthof that are factory sharpened at 15 degrees or less. Has anybody tried it with knives that are set a degree lesser than 20-23 per side? Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the wonderful replies,

It was suggested about a butcher shaper the knives but I didn't want to walk around NYC with knives in a bag.

Oh, that's silly. It's not like concealing a loaded firearm. Just wrap the knives in a towel, put rubber bands around the towel, and put them in a backpack or duffel bag.

With wires, a clock, and sections of pipe. :wacko:

But seriously, no one will care. Even if you take a subway or go through a bus terminal and have your bag checked, just explain to the police what you are doing. Up front, as you hand them the bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom