Shun Elite knives from Sur La Table, anyone try them yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayprice7

Assistant Cook
Just curious if they're really worth the hefty price tag they carry. I was given a shun pro series yanigiba knife as a gift this xmas and it is wonderful. Is the elite series noticably better??

depends, its a single bevel(?) have to know how to use a stone, I use the pro and shun series and the steel in the pro is truely out of this world but like I said, can't use a steel on them. The shun range is a more traditional blade allowing for standard sharpening. steel in the blade is excellent too. These knives are truely great, I love them.. have a look at www.kershawknives.com

If you're seriously considering purchasing one of these, do a google search; I'm sure you can find a better deal than the top dollar Sur La Table asks!

Shun Elite Knives

I will be very anxious to read the results from your post. I am considering dropping $2400 on the 23 piece elite knife block set and I would love to hear that they are noticibly better before I do. Also, does anyone know if the complete knife block set is available without the steak knives? And, second question, is there any place that offers a discount on these?
Thanks.
Martha

I will be very anxious to read the results from your post. I am considering dropping $2400 on the 23 piece elite knife block set and I would love to hear that they are noticibly better before I do. Also, does anyone know if the complete knife block set is available without the steak knives? And, second question, is there any place that offers a discount on these?
Thanks.
Martha

IMO, and most likely some others, you may be better off buying knives you would actually use. Besides steak knives and a carving set, what will you get the most use out of in the kitchen? You can find good deals on the web, you just have to search for them. I actually met someone through Ebay to purchase my knives from. When I decided on one I wanted to add I would just shoot them an email instead of having to search high and low for what I wanted.

Mostly the block sets aren't a great deal for most people; they have some great knives you'll use but several filler peices that you either won't use or could get by with a much cheaper peice (eg, you shouldn't use a conventional steel at all and c'mon- who needs a $90 pair of kitchen shears?). If you've got your heart set on a block, at least do some shopping around, prices can vary by several hundred dollars.

Btw, the Elite series are double bevel, 50/50 knives. The Pro series & conventional Japanese tradional knives are all single bevel.

Anything from Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma is going to be overpriced.

True, but they do have a few exclusives. You can only get an Elite 6" serrated tomato knive or 6" Chef knife from Sur La Table. And Williams-Sonoma is the exclusive carrier of the Shun Kaji line.:glare:

Look online at other outfitters.

Shun is top of the line in a lot of regards.

I'm a Shun fanboy, and they are great knives. I'm not absolutely positive I could call them the very top of the line, at least not until I get a chance to try a Hattori KD with Cowry X steel or a handmade Murray Carter. Certainly you'll have no trouble finding a knife ten times more expensive than a Shun Elite, but obviously it's not likely to be ten times better!

Btw, one knife I've been meaning to try is the Hattori KF. The blade are made completely of V-Gold 10 steel, not San Mai like most Japanese knives. They were designed my Ichiro Hattori in collaboration with some members of Knifeforums.com. They're a bit spendier than the Shun Elites but they look very good, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Eventually there will even be an "upgraded" KF line utilizing Cowry X steel.

True, but they do have a few exclusives. You can only get an Elite 6" serrated tomato knive or 6" Chef knife from Sur La Table. And Williams-Sonoma is the exclusive carrier of the Shun Kaji line.:glare:

Normally, particular store exclusives, like specific celebrity chef designs, are inferior to the company's standard bearing product,

I'm a Shun fanboy, and they are great knives. I'm not absolutely positive I could call them the very top of the line, at least not until I get a chance to try a Hattori KD with Cowry X steel or a handmade Murray Carter. Certainly you'll have no trouble finding a knife ten times more expensive than a Shun Elite, but obviously it's not likely to be ten times better!

Btw, one knife I've been meaning to try is the Hattori KF. The blade are made completely of V-Gold 10 steel, not San Mai like most Japanese knives. They were designed my Ichiro Hattori in collaboration with some members of Knifeforums.com. They're a bit spendier than the Shun Elites but they look very good, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Eventually there will even be an "upgraded" KF line utilizing Cowry X steel.

The Hattori KD are beautiful knives, unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever own one. On the mean time, however, my Hiromoto Tenmi Jyuraku Ltd ed. and Aogami Supers have been performing very well. The shape of those linen micarta handles of the Hattori KF's look fabulous, they are reasonably priced as well. It looks as if Koki has 'em in stock too. BTW, the Shun Kaji line looks hot! Damascus with SG-2 powdered steel core.

As WOW as some of the knives can be eventually they all need to be sharpend. I think that if you have a knife that has never needed to be sharpend then you really aren't using it that much. Given those ideas then if you aren't using them then no matter what the price one could be spending to much on a knife. I agree buy knives you will really use. I also submit buy the steels, stones, diamond stone, ceramic steel or stone that keeps the edge perfect. Touch up as you use it so it isn't ever out of hone and learn how to use the steels and stones for the best edge. I've found a leather strop and chromium powder can effect an edge in a subtle but unbelievable way even for a more typical blade.

Given the practical it still sounds fun to have such an awesome knife in your hand bravo if you can afford it!

Normally, particular store exclusives, like specific celebrity chef designs, are inferior to the company's standard bearing product,

True as a rule, but the Kaji's have been very favorably reviewed. IIRC a prestigious blade mag named them Best of the Year. In some ways they look to be above Shuns Elite line. They use SG-2 steel but with a "Damascus" jigane, unlike the "pedestrian" construction of the Elites. I dunno if they're better or not, but they're certainly no "junkers."

I've never been too hip on laminates either, and VG-10 seems like the kind of steel that would do just as well on its own as it would in a san mai. And Cowry X? I think I'd want as much as I could afford!

I personally love laminates. There's really no reason that the whole blade be made of "super steel," just the core cuts. But as I've said I'd love to try one of the Hattori KF's made entirely of VG10, or the upgraded version in pure Cowry X!

As WOW as some of the knives can be eventually they all need to be sharpend. I think that if you have a knife that has never needed to be sharpend then you really aren't using it that much.
Au contraire, mon ami. I have a 6-inch ceramic chef's knife that I use to cut up lettuce and slice tomatoes, and I doubt very much if it will ever need to be sharpened in my lifetime.

LOL okay I'll agree with that but I was thinking in the context of the thread that is all about metal knives. Out of curiousity how would you sharpen a ceramic knife it was dull?

Typically, you send it back to the manufacturer to sharpen. I have a Kyocera and they only charge $10 for SH.

Ben Dale mentions being able to sharpend ceramic knives with diamond stones lke the DMTs. Diamonds are the only thing harder than ceramic iirc. It might be slow going but it would probably work.

Back
Top Bottom