Shun Ken Onion Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megan85

Assistant Cook
So I saw this knife while browsing through a cutlery store--------- holy crud Im in love!!!!!
It felt so good and perfect in my hands- it was like love at first sight, haha.
I'm wondering if i should buy it, but the price is a little too steep for me.
http://premiumknives.com/ShopSite/Shun_Knives-_Shun_Classic_Knives-_Damascus_Kitchen_Knives_DM0500-_8_inch_Ken_Onion_Chef's_Knife.html

:)
Does anyone own one? What is your opinion on it?

Do you use it at work or home?

(Right now im just using a rosewood Forschner, so i could use an upgrade. My knives were stolen when i was in culinary school so I'm building up another collection.)

Sorry, I don't own one and never will at $194.00!

I bet I can chop, slice and cut an onion any way that this knife can with my 9" Santoku that I got for $9.95.

In fact I got a set of 3 Santokus, a 8", a 6" and a 3" for less than $10.00
When they get dull I'll just buy another set.

Charlie

And I can do it with my $65 Wustoff Classic 6" chef.... and plenty of other stuff as well. Why would anyone need a dedicated knife for onions? Especially at $194 :ohmy: I could stock my entire cutlery needs for that.

RP... This is a chef's knife designed by Ken Onion, not a knife for onions...

Meagan, the 8 inch version of this knife is available on Amazon.com for about $150, if you are truly in love with it. (There are reviews there, too.) It is about the same price as other higher-end knives. The real questions are: Does it fit your cooking style? Is it comfortable enough for you to use every day? Are you willing to maintain it--for a couple of decades? If the answer to these questions is "yes," then go for it.

I have a couple of knives I've used for about 20 years. When I first bought them, they seemed horribly expensive, especially on our budget. But they are still the ones I reach for first--they fit my hands and my cooking style, and they are still sharp and wonderful to use. There's something comforting about having reliable, good-quality stuff to use when you are in the kitchen at the end of a long, hard day.

Good luck!

I tried it out at a shop. I thought it had very poor build quality. Looks like you could take down an 800lb grizzly or debone an elephant, but it was too gimmicky for my tastes. Big unsanitary gaps around the handle components.

Personal opinion of course.

I like my 8" Cordon Bleu Wusthof.

Ahhhhh all right guys---- guess I'll just stick my knives. :-p
I didn't think that was it that bad of a knife- seemed to be made perfect for my hands, and i got that "OOooooooo" tingly feeling when I picked it up, haha.
I haven't gotten bit by the wusthof bug yet, but i think i might try out that route...:)

Let me show you some Ken Onion hand made customs that were recently stolen from his luggage. Estimated value around $20,000.

img_340307_0_8218452ff3b65f17fe0d287819f03e17.jpg

I think he's a good craftsman. Not my taste in knives, but he can sure make a pretty knife.

William Henry also makes some high end Kitchen Knives with a ZDP-189 Core and laminated damascus. I like this better. They cost more than the Shun. This set has an MSRP of $2950.

maestro-page-all.jpg

I think these are stunning.

Using an expensive knife can be a sheer joy in appreciating the beauty, the craftsmanship, high quality materials and it's excellent edge and edge-holding.

If those issues don't matter to you, then it's a waste of money and knife. If it does matter to you, it makes a big difference in your use and enjoyment.

thymeless

Whoa!!!!! Those are beautiful knives- holy ****--- do you own any william henry knives?

I wish I did. They are not in my budget at all. Maybe some day.

thymeless

I'd kill for just a paring knife after looking at their website..... but for 190-400 bucks for one i can see why they're exclusive.
Suddenly the knives I have look like plastic cutlery haha.

I liked the Ken Onion Shun knife for a while, but kind of talked myself out of it... also check out eBay - I found it for just over $100 when I was looking... of course that is probably a knock-off, but I don't know for sure - there were a lot of them on there... I would love a set of Shun knives, but right now they aren't in my budget, and I do have a couple of decent knives to tide me over until they are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom