Shun Premier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your store let you use them? That's fabulous! I have always wanted to do this. Sorry about yer thumb....:(

Glad to see you're enjoying your new knife. I guess you've noticed that with Japanese knives you can generally go one size larger than you're used to very easily; they're much lighter and more nimble, and that negates the normal disadvantages of larger knives. Most people that think they need an 8" find that a 9.5-10 inch Japanese will work beautifully.

Yes the store let me spend a good 40 minutes trying out a bunch of knives. It was fun. And it showed me how much a knife needs to "fit". A few were really nice, but obviously not right for my from the first cut.
Yes, I have provisions to safely store my knife. I have a good sized piece of deer hide hide that I wrap it up in and a knife drawer in my kitchen.
Like I said, I felt a bit silly buying the 10" knowing that it was the first "real" knife I was buying. But you're right, it is light and nimble, and I find it very comfortable to use. After my first thumb slice I'll admit that I slowed down my chopping technique for a while. But now that it's been the better part of a month, I'm back up to my usual chopping confidence. I love using it.

Back
Top Bottom