The Great Skype Thread! (Knife nuts please apply)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Okay, just checking to see if any of you are on Skype. If you don't know what that is it's a free download that lets you plug a headset into your PC and talk to anyone who also has Skype, anywhere on Earth, for free. Call/sound quality is superb- IME it's much better than a cellphone. You can log in and out, and you can change your status on the fly. If you're not in the mood to talk you can log out or set your status to "Away."

For those of you who're Skype regulars, please post your contact info if you'd like to chat. Of course, posting this in the "Knives" area reveals that I'm almost more knife-nerd than foodie (although I'm a line cook and former Chef).

This is not so much just for me as to try to network all you folks that might want to participate. Of course, if you're interested but don't want your contact info "out there" for all to see, just PM anyone you're interested in talking too.

To anyone interested but lacking the software, it's a ten second download right here. Even if you don't want to network with the DC crowd, download it anyways. You will only appear to people you've shared your info with it can really slash your phone bill. Plus, the quality is terrific!

If you're interested, PM me for contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, a "schedule" might also be a good idea. That is, list the times you're available. Naturally some might want to pre-arrange times.

Just throwing it out there.

I tried Skype a few years ago, but it didn't work because I don't have a headset. I should give it a try again. My laptop has a built in microphone and speakers. They work fine for Google telephone. I can finally call those US companies that have toll free numbers that don't work from Canada.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom