The new Katana Cutlery by Calphalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
Anyone tried these yet? I've been putting off getting good knives, and with the quality of the Calphalon bakeware I have, I wonder if these will be of superior quality.

I've tried them. I don't like them for one simple reason: They tend to get slippery when wet. I had a hard time holding on to one of the ones I was testing out when the handle got wet--something I don't encounter with my usual knives.

Anyone else tried these? I was thinking of getting some myself. Although can't decided whether to just pick and choose what I want or just spring for the 8 pc. set.

Almost seems a shame to "hide" them in a knife block, and was thinking a magnetic strip on the wall would be a nice way to display these knives.

J.

Jay said:
Almost seems a shame to "hide" them in a knife block, and was thinking a magnetic strip on the wall would be a nice way to display these knives.

J.

I saw a magnetic strip for holding knives at IKEA. It looks cool, plus saves a little counterspace.

they come with a lot of hype, but the fancy wavey pattern you seen on the metal is just that...a really cool artsy overlay. As for their performance, you cant test them all sealed up in plastic as they are sold. Nor can you hold them to test their ballance. If you can't test a knife's heft and ballance in your own hand, you will not know if it is right for you. Don't buy it.

They are sold at Bed, Bath & Beyond, and the sales lady was more than happy to open up the display case and let me hold a few. They felt pretty nice to me.

Back
Top Bottom