The Newest "Gotta Have It!" Tool For The Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't really judge. Eat my burgers whole but eat popcorn with chopsticks and I have my own knife, fork, soup spoon and Coffee cup that only I'm allowed to use. We all have some level of crazy.

The trick to eating a loaded burger cut in half, is never try to lay it down and use a napkin. No matter how disgusting, one must be committed till it's gone. :-p

Yes. Once you pick it up, you can't put it down. You become proficient at using your off hand for everything else.

And it's Europeans who typically cut burgers with a knife. Our Danish exchange student did that. In public. In a restaurant. :shock:
:LOL:
Most resto burgers are large and I don't like white bread, so I take off the top half of the bun and eat the burger with a knife and fork. Of course, I'm half Danish and we eat Danish open-faced sandwiches with a knife and fork.

Maybe I'm part European, but unless it's a regular fast food burger I have no qualms eating it with a knife and fork. Same with pizza.

But there's just something so primal and "American" about eating a big juicy burger with your hands!!

I'm reminded of a loaded burger lunch we enjoyed near Windsor Castle in a very nice out door restaurant. There were two "very proper" British ladies sitting next to us doing their very British knife and fork thing with theirs as we were chowing down with ours. All of us had table side entertainment that day.

Last edited:
I have small hands. There is only so big of a burger I can handle uncut before I need to cut it in half...with whatever sharp knife the restaurant provides. Not an issue at home, since I never buy buns too big to handle easily. When I encounter a mega-burger, I have a plan of attack. I ask the server to bring out a sandwich pick or skewer with my sandwich. I spear that baby about 1/3 of the way from the edge, place my fingers along the top of the larger section, then cut in half. The half with the pick gets flipped on the cut edge. That way the juices pretty much stay inside and, more importantly, don't leak into the bottom bun, making it soggy. The only time I would resort to cutting up and eating with a fork would be if the entire sandwich starts falling apart in my hands.

I have small hands. There is only so big of a burger I can handle uncut before I need to cut it in half...with whatever sharp knife the restaurant provides. Not an issue at home, since I never buy buns too big to handle easily. When I encounter a mega-burger, I have a plan of attack. I ask the server to bring out a sandwich pick or skewer with my sandwich. I spear that baby about 1/3 of the way from the edge, place my fingers along the top of the larger section, then cut in half. The half with the pick gets flipped on the cut edge. That way the juices pretty much stay inside and, more importantly, don't leak into the bottom bun, making it soggy. The only time I would resort to cutting up and eating with a fork would be if the entire sandwich starts falling apart in my hands.

Holy cow, that's brilliant CG!! I'm doing that from now on!!!! :punk:

I think I saw that on The Chew. You must have missed that episode. ;) Either The Chew, or maybe Rachel Ray. I watch her if I'm busy in the kitchen during her time slot, but don't make a point of it like The Chew.

I don't know how I've lived so long without this essential item!

The Burger Knife Is the Newest Tool That Nobody Asked For | Epicurious.com

Gee Andy, I had one very similar to that one many years ago. I picked it up at a yard sale for about ten cents. It sat in the drawer taking up needed space for eons and I never used it once. Someone told me it was for spreading mayo or mustard. Gee, and to think for years I used a plain simple table knife. I gave it to someone else. If only I had known. :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom