URI Eagle Ceramic Knives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I was checking out an ad fro ceramic knives that appears here. I'm thinking it might be an inexpensive way to buy and try a ceramic kitchen knife.

They are at this site.

There are two lines, white diamond that are made with zirconium oxide and black diamond that are made with zirconium carbide.

Is anyone here familiar with this brand's performance?

Can any of the more technically inclined members explain the pros and cons of the zirconium oxide vs the zirconium carbide versions.

Wow Andy - I am interested to hear what the technically inclined members have to say. I am a HUGE fan of kyocera ceramic knives. I might buy one just to see the difference.

I am interested as well. I have been wanting a ceramic knife for a while now. The prices of these URI brand knives do not seem much (if any) better than the price of the Kyocera that I have seen recently.

Shame on me, GB for not looking more closely at the Kyocera. They have less expensive lines that are in the same price range. I saw the top of the line price of $300. for a 6" Chef's knife and gagged.

Boker is a company that sells a bunch of different kinds of knives, everything from rescue knives ( purchased one for my eldes son, who is a fireman, to some fine looking damascus blades, ceramic, and even titanium kitchen knives. And no, I don't sell their stuff, but have purchased several knives from them, mostly for hunting. Their catalogue (which is sent to your home) has more knives and better info than does their online site. Just wanted to make you aware of another company that sells both the black and white varieties of kitchen knives. Google Boker Knives and you will find them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I would love some, but out of budget for any purchases right now. 've been wanting to get some for a while now.

Andy M.
I know nothing about ceramic knives, but I know about sinterizing process which is the way you make cutting tools to machine steel: You shape pulverized high grade material, generally very hard and expensive, under extremely high pressure and temperature.
Zirconium carbide is widely used for this purpose. It is extremely hard, non-conductive (I guess you can't use a wall magnetic holder on this type of knife) and brittle.
I have not seen a ceramic knife, but I'd be concern about brittleness and day to day handle... if they are sinterised, I am not sure how you sharpen the blade.

Ceramic knives in general are sent back to the manufacturer for sharpening with a diamond wheel (or whatever).

Brittleness has always been the one knock on ceramic knives. If you want one, you take the risk.

No, you are not supposed to sharpen them yourself. For a $5 flat rate (for up to 3 knives) the company will sharpen them for you. However, these knives are supposed to stay sharper longer - and so far - in my experience - they have. They are as sharp as the day I bought them so I have not sent them for sharpening yet.

No, you are not supposed to sharpen them yourself. For a $5 flat rate (for up to 3 knives) the company will sharpen them for you. However, these knives are supposed to stay sharper longer - and so far - in my experience - they have. They are as sharp as the day I bought them so I have not sent them for sharpening yet.

You certainly are pushing. We'll see what you think when you drop one on a marble countertop and the edge chips or the tip breaks. I believe ceramics are a fad, like santokus and glass cutting boards. :bangin:

Buzz

Fad or not, I love them. They can be more fragile, but I have not broke one yet - and it has been quite some time. Any knife I buy in the future will be ceramic.

You certainly are pushing. We'll see what you think when you drop one on a marble countertop and the edge chips or the tip breaks. I believe ceramics are a fad, like santokus and glass cutting boards. :bangin:

Buzz
I do not think it is a fad at all. Many people use them and love them. Sure they are fragile and there is a danger of chipping or shattering them, but as with any tool, you need to respect it and treat it appropriately. I know of plenty of people who have dropped their ceramic knives on hard floors and done no damage. I also know of plenty of people who have dropped their metal knives and had a tip break or a ding put in the cutting edge.

As for santokus being a fad, that must be the longest running fad in history. Santokus have been around in Japan for quite a while.

Last edited:
The benefit of the brand I referenced is the price of their premium line. I can get one of their 6" chef's knives made of zirconium carbide for about $100. The Kyocera equivalent (Kyotop) is about $300.

It's my understanding that the carbide version is harder still than the oxide version and less prone to chipping.

I do not think it is a fad at all. Many people use them and love them. Sure they are fragile and there is a danger of chipping or shattering them, but as with any tool, you need to respect it and treat it appropriately. I know of plenty of people who have dropped their ceramic knives on hard floors and done no damage. I also know of plenty of people who have dropped their metal knives and had a tip break or a ding put in the cutting edge.

As for santokus being a fad, that must be the longest running fad in history. Santokus have been around in Japan for quite a while.

I beg to differ. Traditional Japanese kitchen cutlery includes such really REALLY great knives like nakiris, sujihikis, various debas, chukabochos, etc. Santokus and Gyutos are relatively new. In the US we call it marketing.

Buzz

Last edited:
I dxid not say that they were not relatively new. That still does not mean that they have not been around for a while.

Buzz, you crack me up! I love a guy with strong opinions. But I still love the Santoku knives I have - they really do help keep sticky foods from sticking to the blade.

Buzz, you crack me up! I love a guy with strong opinions. But I still love the Santoku knives I have - they really do help keep sticky foods from sticking to the blade.

Mmmmm. There's nothing wrong with santokus. All I said was they are a fad. Everyone thinks they're wonderful, expecially those knives with granton blades. They are blessed by so called culinary experts as a big improvement over standard chef's knives because the blades are wider and thus can scoop more veggies in a single swipe.

I have some not so new news: Granton blades were preceded by hollow ground blades centuries ago. The entire blade does what the cute little oval shaped indentations do except better, AND, when the knife is aging and worn to the grantons because of sharpening, the hollow ground blades are not downgraded to glorified serrated bread knives like the "newest and greatest" will.

Furthermore, the wide blade thing - my main vegetable slicer is a Japanese chukaboacho, 220 x 110mm wide. Thin to win. Consider it a big heavy razor blade, and it can out scoop any two santokus on the planet combined.

Again, no problem that santokus exist, but I personally have no use for hybrid knives when there are others that do the same jobs better.

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Buzz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom