Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef's knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm considering getting this knife because it got high ratings on the Cooks Illustrated website. Does anyone have this knife, and if so how do you like it?

I'm considering getting this knife because it got high ratings on the Cooks Illustrated website. Does anyone have this knife, and if so how do you like it?

It's a beauty! Money we'll spent! I own a few victorinox knives and they are great. This chef knife has a large blade which is great because fingers are more easily protected: the knuckles keep it away from the finger tips and the blade is easily kept vertical.
Bravo! Great choice :)

It's a beauty! Money we'll spent! I own a few victorinox knives and they are great. This chef knife has a large blade which is great because fingers are more easily protected: the knuckles keep it away from the finger tips and the blade is easily kept vertical.
Bravo! Great choice :)

Glad to hear that! I don't have a good 8" chefs knife, so this one sounds perfect.

It's a good knife for the price. Edge retention isn't amazing but for a home cook it should be just fine.

Hi! I have those and one chef knife by Globalknife, which is actually great. But what other knives are good? For me the big issue is the handle and the balance too and there are so many lines meant for home usage which I think to be simply wrong and bad designed!
Other interesting brands?

I don't know if this is a sub-brand name or a series, but I have several Forschner knives I use for fish cleaning/processing. They are made by Victorinox. Except for the boning knives, the blades are curved like a scimitar.

I have the Victorinox 10" chef's knife, the 7" Santoku and the 8" filleting knife. Love them all, a massive upgrade on my previous motley collection.

A while ago I started a thread about santoku versus chef's knives. Perhaps I ought to revisit it because I'm confused about which one to buy.

I know many will not agree with not needing a chef's knife, as old and classic ideas die hard. I always hated the curve of a chef's knife for chopping, although some swear by it. On the other hand, my Santoku knife works like a dream. I think the description says it best why it's better..
"Combines features of a cleaver with a chef's knife; unique shape to scoop up chopped food or be used as a spatula; Granton Edge helps make paper-thin slices and prevents food from sticking to blade"

I use my Santoku knife 95% of the time.

Last edited:
+1, Kayelle. I use mine most of the time, too. It fits my hand better and is easier for me to control.

I suggest you go to a good kitchen store and handle the various knives. It's the only way to know what's best for you.

+1, Kayelle. I use mine most of the time, too. It fits my hand better and is easier for me to control.

I suggest you go to a good kitchen store and handle the various knives. It's the only way to know what's best for you.

Great idea! There's a Sur la Table pretty close to where I live. They have an excellent selection of knives.

I don't know if this is a sub-brand name or a series, but I have several Forschner knives I use for fish cleaning/processing. They are made by Victorinox. Except for the boning knives, the blades are curved like a scimitar.

Forschner was acquired by Victorinox (same knife). I'm not a fan of the handles, but am a minor fan of much cheaper knives.

re: Victorinox Fibrox 8 inch chef knife

Hi folks!

I don't own a victorinox, and yes, I have seen the YouTube ATK reviews, where even against 'hybrid knives', they chose the Vic.

I have purchased an 8 inch chef knife and a 7 inch santoku knife from this fellow:

Columbia Cutlery - Chef & Santoku Knives with Color Coded Handles - Food Service Knives - Kitchen Knives, Culinary Tools, and Knife Storage for Commercial Kitchens

I find these to be quite comfortable, 'quick in the hand', enough blade to keep the hand from slipping onto the sharpened heel, and here's the best part ... I can send the knife back for professional sharpening for a reasonable fee.

I chose red handles, because I can tell in a moment, which one i'm grasping.

(Now ... how to move out those white handled 6 and 8 inch chefs knives I just replaced?)

Back
Top Bottom