Wetstone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garlicjosh

Senior Cook
ok guys

I've always been told to not buy electric sharpeners and to always take my blades in to get done, well I am moving soon and can not seem to find any information on who will be able to do them...
So I am looking into wetstones, I take my honing steal out before my blade ever hits the board and my knives seem to hold their edge just fine for a good chunk of time
Obviously before I get it (if I get it) I'll be doing tons of research to make sure I can use it properly..but here are the ones I'm looking at right now... I'm not into spending a tons on it unless I absolutely need to...

Amazon.com: 800/4000 Combination Grit Waterstone: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Woodstock D1130 1000 Grit and 6000 Grit Japanese Waterstone: Home Improvement

and lastly

Amazon.com: Norton 24450 Japanese-Style Combination Waterstone 1000/4000 Grit, 8-Inch by 3-Inch by 1-Inch: Industrial & Scientific

i'd like to go with the double just to save space and to make my life a little easier.
thanks in advance for any help

200016e.jpg

If you can swing it, I've been using this setup for years now.
It captures the oil, and you also reuse it when you rotate the blocks.
The three grits allow you to sharpen quickly, and even smooth out dings.

Less than $100.
Amazon.com: Norton IM200 -8" Three Stone Sharpening System - Fine India, Medium Crystolon, and Coarse Crystolon stones: Industrial & Scientific

thanks.
I'll keep that in mind for sure.
not a bad price at all

if im willing to spend 150 on knives less then 100 to keep em sharp sounds good to me

I've got that setup, or one that looks similar. I think Norton has a couple like that with various stones. If it's a hundred bucks, that's a really good price. I paid closer to two for mine.
Someone showed me a trick where you rest the stone at your desired angle. That way you only need to concentrate on keeping the knife blade flat. It works well.

The first one looks like a very good deal, and it should be more than enough for your first sharpening tool.

Back
Top Bottom